2022 Free Agent Frenzy

Forge

1 minute ago, StevenK said:

On a side note, we have to get rid of Jimmy or extend someone to even sign our rookies, right? 

Yes. Not that big of a deal or anything. It's pretty easy money to move around. Nothing super crazy. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Forge said:

The tone makes me feel like Crocker was maybe saying that he's being a little bit of a ******. 

Maybe, maybe not....Once he gets his long-term deal, things will change. He's just panicking right now for no reason and should realize this will take time but the team has paid big money to players at the top of their position the last few years. 

There's also questions about his health so this was always going to be a tricky negotiation. 

Bosa's negotiation will be even tougher. Now that one has a chance to get UGLY with how that family operates. 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

Bosa's negotiation will be even tougher. Now that one has a chance to get UGLY with how that family operates. 

I feel like Bosa's will be easy. He's going to set the market across the board. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Um, you would think but I'm not convinced. It's never easy with that family. 

That mostly stems from the contentious nature of Joey's rookie contract negotiation and that was mostly on Spanos / Telesco (though if we want to be fair, all of their previous picks over the prior 5 years or so had both items written into contract). The Chargers wanted a deferred signing bonus and offset language until that year had been unheard of (Wentz and Zeke both agreed to these provisions in the same draft, weirdly enough). 

Nick's was slow but never adversarial, and Joey's extension happened without issue. 

I'd have been more concerned about hte contract if Bosa a good / competent player and not a great one because then there's a ton more variance in where each party could be. The 49ers have to know the Bosa negotiation starts at 30M / 81 fully guaranteed, I'd imagine. 

That family is definitely all business though, you're right about that. I just feel like the market is pretty well set in that regard though 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, StevenK said:

Timing wise, it’s unfortunate that Deebo did what he did. Scrubbing his social media, etc. but he knows we can’t extend him at the immediate with Jimmy on the roster. I still think Jimmy either gets traded/cut during the draft. Once that’s done he will get his bag. Clearly I think he will be compensated properly, but I do have my concerns like some mentioned about 2020. 

On a side note, we have to get rid of Jimmy or extend someone to even sign our rookies, right? 

We don't need to get rid of Jimmy to extend Nick & Deebo, and sign our picks, depending on what picks we end up with, the top 4 would only count, would only take up less than $600K, and they can turn Deebo's base salary into a signing bonus, same with Bosa's training camp roster bonus.

50 minutes ago, Forge said:

If the target aav is 25M (which is a complete guess just based on the IG post) then I have to imagine the difference is the guaranteed money. 25m aav shouldn't be that big of a deal all things considered. 

$25M APY is what I have him at, and he should/will get it, I think it gets done before Camp, likely June-July, GTD money is the thing with the 49ers, they usually like the April 1 dates, most teams do 3rd-5th day of the new league year, which is in March, plus they're more about less fully GTD, more injury GTD, which I understand, but, they kinda changed their approach with the dates, with Kittle, then Warner, & Trent, all 3 have April 1 dates, but Warner just had $12.016M of his 2023 base salary GTD on April 1st, a year before, I think they'll have to do that with Deebo & Bosa.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Forge said:

That mostly stems from the contentious nature of Joey's rookie contract negotiation and that was mostly on Spanos / Telesco (though if we want to be fair, all of their previous picks over the prior 5 years or so had both items written into contract). The Chargers wanted a deferred signing bonus and offset language until that year had been unheard of (Wentz and Zeke both agreed to these provisions in the same draft, weirdly enough). 

Nick's was slow but never adversarial, and Joey's extension happened without issue. 

I'd have been more concerned about hte contract if Bosa a good / competent player and not a great one because then there's a ton more variance in where each party could be. The 49ers have to know the Bosa negotiation starts at 30M / 81 fully guaranteed, I'd imagine. 

That family is definitely all business though, you're right about that. I just feel like the market is pretty well set in that regard though 

Actually, I think Joey held out for a bit, before he was extended, and Nick has the same agent, so I'd be worried that Nick may be told to holdout, but yes, it should be easier, it'll be in the $30M-$32M a yr range, again, guaranteed will be a huge thing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 49erscap said:

Actually, I think Joey held out for a bit, before he was extended, and Nick has the same agent, so I'd be worried that Nick may be told to holdout, but yes, it should be easier, it'll be in the $30M-$32M a yr range, again, guaranteed will be a huge thing.

I don't think he held out. I believe it was signed the same day as the start of camp or something, but I'm reasonably sure he showed up on the day the vets were due in. 

Obviously had it not been signed in time, he probably wouldn't have shown up. I have no doubts that Nick would hold out as well, but there should be no need to for the negotiations to get angry 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Forge said:

I don't think he held out. I believe it was signed the same day as the start of camp or something, but I'm reasonably sure he showed up on the day the vets were due in. 

Obviously had it not been signed in time, he probably wouldn't have shown up. I have no doubts that Nick would hold out as well, but there should be no need to for the negotiations to get angry 

On August 24, 2016, the Chargers issued a press release stating that they had offered Bosa an initial signing bonus payment that was larger than any rookie has received in the last two NFL drafts, which was more money in 2016 than any rookie in his draft class except Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Carson Wentz.[25] On August 29, 2016, Bosa signed a four-year contract with the team, ending the dispute.[26]

2016 season

Bosa missed the first four weeks of the season due to a hamstring injury.[27] On October 9, Bosa made his regular season debut against AFC West rival Oakland Raiders. Although Bosa only played 27 snaps, he finished the game with two sacks, a hit, and four hurries.[28]

Yeah he wasn't a hold out but ended up getting hurt before the year started...

3 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

On August 24, 2016, the Chargers issued a press release stating that they had offered Bosa an initial signing bonus payment that was larger than any rookie has received in the last two NFL drafts, which was more money in 2016 than any rookie in his draft class except Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Carson Wentz.[25] On August 29, 2016, Bosa signed a four-year contract with the team, ending the dispute.[26]

2016 season

Bosa missed the first four weeks of the season due to a hamstring injury.[27] On October 9, Bosa made his regular season debut against AFC West rival Oakland Raiders. Although Bosa only played 27 snaps, he finished the game with two sacks, a hit, and four hurries.[28]

Yeah he wasn't a hold out but ended up getting hurt before the year started...

That was his initial rookie contract. He did hold out that time. We were referring to his extension in 2020. I believe that was done right as camp was opening so he ended up not holding out. 

• Like 2

Just now, Forge said:

That was his initial rookie contract. He did hold out that time. We were referring to his extension in 2020. I believe that was done right as camp was opening so he ended up not holding out. 

Whoops. I'll blame this one on it being Monday. Carry on.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Whoops. I'll blame this one on it being Monday. Carry on.

All good.

Ultimately, we will see. J's most certainly not wrong that it could get nasty with that family. They don't take discounts or give breaks lol. 

I'm really just banking on the idea that he's going to top the market and so we are dealing with a smaller window of negotiable values. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Forge said:

All good.

Ultimately, we will see. J's most certainly not wrong that it could get nasty with that family. They don't take discounts or give breaks lol. 

I'm really just banking on the idea that he's going to top the market and so we are dealing with a smaller window of negotiable values. 

It would be way easier if Nick’s negotiation was like Trent’s. Just give him .1M more than the highest paid guy.

I realize Trent’s drug out and we almost lost him to KC, so hopefully it doesn’t come down to that lol.

• Like 1