We’re trying to re-sign Cam Sims, likely to lose McKissic

turtle28

2 hours ago, e16bball said:

That’s kinda my breaking point, as well. $

What I’d rather do, actually, is a longer deal where we spread out some of the guaranteed money and keep the early costs down. Where the back end years probably won’t ever come to fruition, but he still gets the same amount of money as he’d otherwise get. Something resembling these “void years,” but I’m not as familiar with the rules about all that — in the old days, they just gave phantom base salary in the latter years that everyone knew wasn’t going to get paid.

You could do a deal that was functionally the equivalent of 2/$10M, but pay him a good bit less on the cap this year. Let’s say 4/$24M, with $10M guaranteed in the first two years. Make $8M of it a signing bonus, and you only end up paying something like $6M (total) on the cap in the first two years.

Yup. Was thinking 3/18 but 4/24 works as well

As one of the signings I originally didn’t like at all I was very happy to be completely wrong about McKissic. If we can get him back for a reasonable deal I’d love for it to happen but I’d really like to get Breece Hall, Kenneth Walker or Kyren Williams in this draft. With AG having the ability to be a true receiving threat I think you could put him in the McKissic role, keep him healthy and not give him as many touches to lessen his chances of fumbling. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

As one of the signings I originally didn’t like at all I was very happy to be completely wrong about McKissic. If we can get him back for a reasonable deal I’d love for it to happen but I’d really like to get Breece Hall, Kenneth Walker or Kyren Williams in this draft. With AG having the ability to be a true receiving threat I think you could put him in the McKissic role, keep him healthy and not give him as many touches to lessen his chances of fumbling. 

As @e16bballsaid, replacing JD's skillset is easier said than done. I'd love to have him back. But I'm not doing it for more than $5m AAV.

5 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

As @e16bballsaid, replacing JD's skillset is easier said than done. I'd love to have him back. But I'm not doing it for more than $5m AAV.

It’s not going to be easy at all. The guy had 80 catches his first year here and was well on his way again when he got hurt. I think AG has a similar skill set due to playing receiver in college. 

7 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

my only thought is ( trying to reason this out ) is that his neck and concussion are worse than we know . There is no other logic .

I think that is unlikely, Bills wouldn't have signed him then.  More likely they plan to give his snaps to someone else.  The other possibility is that they plan on throwing the the RB a lot less (Wentz is not known for throwing to his RBs), but that also seems unlikely. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I think that is unlikely, Bills wouldn't have signed him then.  More likely they plan to give his snaps to someone else.  The other possibility is that they plan on throwing the the RB a lot less (Wentz is not known for throwing to his RBs), but that also seems unlikely. 

He has that reputation, to some degree, but Taylor and Hines were actually #2 and #3 in receptions for the Colts last season. And Miles Sanders was #3 in receptions for PHI in 2019. 

His big thing has always been throwing to the TEs, which is probably in large part just related to the personnel they had in PHI. 

If they’re moving away from a world-class receiving back, maybe they’re looking at adding another receiving TE? As Thomas ACL insurance and as a potential weapon in 2- and 3-TE sets?