We’re trying to re-sign Cam Sims, likely to lose McKissic

turtle28

I don't think losing McKissic is a big deal. He played well for us the past two seasons but that is in the past. He'll cost $$ and is turning 29 years old soon. That's when RBs start to decline and he was injured last year. I'd much rather spend that money on a free agent RB like Chase Edmonds or draft a RB in the 4th or 5th round. 

I liked Mckissic just the same. Losing him to injury really hurt the offense.

But he's 29 & I believe he can be the replaced with someone younger. We shall see.

There are some pretty good RB's this draft as well.

It is, what it is.

Does is suck to lose him. Sure

Should you run out of your local restaurant & jump into traffic because we might not have McKissic as our 3rd down pass catching RB?

I'd probably hold off on that for a bit.

3rd down pass catching backs are the norm these days.

My guess is we look for a RB in that same mold in FA & target one in the Draft.

Don't forget. We also have a young Patterson on the team, too.

Its all 😊 good.

• Like 1

I think McKissic is harder to replace than some suspect. 

He’s a little more than just a RB who can catch passes. He’s legitimately a slot receiver playing RB, he’s very natural and fluid catching the ball, doesn’t break stride, can turn it upfield seamlessly. Much better than the other WR-turned-RB on the roster in Gibson. 

You can’t really just draft another RB who’s good at catching passes…for a RB. He’d almost have to be another crossover player. Kenneth Gainwell (drafted by the Eagles, of course) is the only RB I’ve seen in the last year or two that caught passes at a level that I think could replace McKissic there. 

It would be disappointing to lose him. Obviously aging RBs are almost never worth giving any money to, but I think the true 3rd down backs traditionally age better than most. I would pay a 29-year-old who primarily catches passes long before I would pay a guy of similar age who I’m asking to carry the rock exclusively. 

• Like 1

Hopefully McKissic gets a pretty good deal somewhere else. We are likely to overspend and hopefully we dont cancel any comp pick from Scherff breaking the bank elsewhere. 

Losing potential free agents from this team is not a bad thing. Lots of our players are overpaid and underperforming. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, taylor made said:

I don't think losing McKissic is a big deal. He played well for us the past two seasons but that is in the past. He'll cost $$ and is turning 29 years old soon. That's when RBs start to decline and he was injured last year. I'd much rather spend that money on a free agent RB like Chase Edmonds or draft a RB in the 4th or 5th round. 

Edmonds to the Dolphins for 2/$12.6M, per Schefter. 

Would imagine McKissic’s deal should be slightly lesser, given youth and less impact as a traditional runner, so this could help us out. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Edmonds to the Dolphins for 2/$12.6M, per Schefter. 

Would imagine McKissic’s deal should be slightly lesser, given youth and less impact as a traditional runner, so this could help us out. 

If McKissic could get done for 2/10 would you do it? I'm balking at that point. 

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

If McKissic could get done for 2/10 would you do it? I'm balking at that point. 

That’s kinda my breaking point, as well. $

What I’d rather do, actually, is a longer deal where we spread out some of the guaranteed money and keep the early costs down. Where the back end years probably won’t ever come to fruition, but he still gets the same amount of money as he’d otherwise get. Something resembling these “void years,” but I’m not as familiar with the rules about all that — in the old days, they just gave phantom base salary in the latter years that everyone knew wasn’t going to get paid.

You could do a deal that was functionally the equivalent of 2/$10M, but pay him a good bit less on the cap this year. Let’s say 4/$24M, with $10M guaranteed in the first two years. Make $8M of it a signing bonus, and you only end up paying something like $6M (total) on the cap in the first two years.

• Like 2