Vikings Extend Cousins Through 2023

Heimdallr

Is this a good move?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Is this a good move?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. How many more seasons will Cousins be in MN?

• 3+

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

A few years ago on NFLN I remember Kirk Cousins being dragged for being kind of boring, dad&ish or whatever (something that's been said here on FFL

I'm glad Kirk is having fun though and showing off his personality. He's a cool guy and a very good QB!

KOC deserves a lot of credit for that. Cousins seems comfortable in his own skin, and it seems KOC is encouraging that. I don’t think Zimmer would have been too appreciative of Kirko Chainz. 

• Like 4

2023 will be the first time in Kirk Cousins' tenure as the Vikings starting quarterback that he will have the same offensive play-caller as the previous season.

It helps when your head coach is also calling the plays, but along with Kevin O'Connell, Minnesota is also returning offensive coordinator Wes Phillips, who oversees the offensive operation under O'Connell's command, allowing the head coach to oversee all three phases of the Vikings' operation.

For Cousins, 2023 could be a potentially career-defining year for the signal-caller entering his 12th NFL season. At 35-years-old, Cousins may only have a small handful of seasons left where he can play at a top level. Plus, with the dawn of free agency awaiting Cousins after the 2023 season, he is set up for success for what seems to be the first time in his career.

Returning the same offensive line, along with weapons like Justin Jefferson, K.J. Osborn, and T.J. Hockenson, in addition to drafting the 2021 Biletnikoff winner, Jordan Addison, to join O'Connell's offense, it is hard to envision Cousins struggling in 2023.

https://thevikingage.com/posts/3-reasons-excited-about-2023-minnesota-vikings/2?fbclid=IwAR0zOEHXV6tyRkG5g7PFj0CFUKlW8bxuBEE-W-HAdbRVkTuWYkDTFIPmNZ8

13 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Star Trib's Jim Souhan: "My information is that the Vikings like Cousins, but think that if they tried to sign him to a deal this offseason it would have complicated getting the Jefferson deal done."

And that could mean multiple things other than “JJ hates Kirk!!!” Such as taking up the cap room. I think it makes a lot of sense to sign JJ first and then tell Kirk “here’s the space we have for you. If you want to win, we’ve got your top 2 receiving targets locked up for years to come.” 

• Like 4

If Cousins leaves Minnesota, not only will he have to uproot his entire family and enroll his kids into new schools, but he would also play the rest of his career on a team that does not employ the best wide receiver in the NFL, the type of superstar talent that only comes around every decade or so.

Jim Souhan – Star Tribune: "They don’t think Cousins is worth $45 or $50 million a year, and they think that if Cousins is facing free agency next season as he’s approaching his 36th birthday, he may find it preferable to do a reasonable deal with the Vikings and stay on the same team with Jefferson and with a coaching staff that knows him."

https://www.minnesotasportsfan.com/kirk-cousins-discount-justin-jefferson/

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Is it a good investment to give him another fully guaranteed deal like before?

Only if he'd agree to 1 year deals, and I don't think there's any way that happens. My guess is that he wants one more contract before retirement.