Draft watch

Johnny Nix

7 minutes ago, Beck Bristow said:

That's fair. Price and Daniels both going in the first round and someone trades right in front of us to get Ragnow. Seems unlikely, but it's definitely possible.

idk, with the amount of poor Offensive lines in the NFL last year, i think you are going to see offensive lineman going higher and higher in drafts

It really just depends on if a high rated guy at a position of need slips to 21.  if not, I see them going center in round 1 with Brown in the second or McGlinchey in the first and pray Ragnow lasts to the second.

Beck, I get that normally we don't get a ton of interior guys drafted early, but the tackle class is thin at the top while the interior is stacked.  So this is one of those years where I see a bunch of interior guys fly off the board early.  nelson, Hernandez, Wynn and Daniels in the first.  Maybe Price, depending on the injury.

I can't say the same for thew tackles.  Maybe McGlinchey, maybe someone really reaches on Miller.  Otherwise, the run on them starts late second.

And I don't get why so many see RG as a bigger need than RT.  We need to revamp the center out to RT yes, but RG is the place where we do have possible options already on the roster.  We have Ced, Hopkins, Westerman, redmond and some other dude form the practice squad.  Are they better than a high pick?  No, but we can't just grab linemen all draft.  If they really think Fisher will improve, then by all means, get the guard.  Otherwise, I'm looking C/RT in the first two rounds if value is there.  then I'm going defense with LB/DT/DE all possibilities.  If Cole lasts to the comp third or fourth, I'll take him too.

One of our top 2 picks needs to be a center or we will be seeing similar results as last year. 

I can understand if one of the tio

prospects falls at 21, but with the plethora of picks we have we better be trading up to ensure we get our guy in round 2. 

1 hour ago, Futbudds said:

Bill Lazor is at Louisville’s pro day. Are there any other prospects on their offense  worth looking at besides the tackle? Jackson’s my fav qb in this class so I would be fine if he is there at #21.

Robert Livingston was also there, I'm assuming to scout Jaire Alexander.  While I like him, if we take a CB at #21 with all the other needs we have I'm breaking something...

1 hour ago, TheVillain112 said:

Robert Livingston was also there, I'm assuming to scout Jaire Alexander.  While I like him, if we take a CB at #21 with all the other needs we have I'm breaking something...

Would there be any other reason for Lazor to be there other than to take a look at Jackson? Besides maybe being bored and taking a short road trip with the other guys that were already heading out?

7 minutes ago, Futbudds said:

Would there be any other reason for Lazor to be there other than to take a look at Jackson? Besides maybe being bored and taking a short road trip with the other guys that were already heading out?

It had to be for Jackson, but probably more in the sense of if he drops to the 3rd round.  Looking at the places/QBs that Alex Van Pelt has visited with, they seem like late round/UDFA QBs.  They are probably doing their due diligence on Jackson, in case he drops further than people expect.

Also, probably helped that Mike Brown didn't have to pay for an airline ticket.  I bet Lazor didn't even stay the night and only expensed gas...

6 hours ago, Futbudds said:

Bill Lazor is at Louisville’s pro day. Are there any other prospects on their offense  worth looking at besides the tackle? Jackson’s my fav qb in this class so I would be fine if he is there at #21.

He scored a 12 on the Wonderlic.  No thanks

20 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

He scored a 12 on the Wonderlic.  No thanks

Dan Marino got like a 13 or 14? I don't care about the wonderlic. If game tape tells me his good, his workout tells me he's good, he has a good interview, I'm not passing on a prospect because they had a bad Wonderlic score. Pass on him if you don't think he's very good. But passing on him because a test score is just dumb. 

3 minutes ago, Carson4MVP said:

Dan Marino got like a 13 or 14? I don't care about the wonderlic. If game tape tells me his good, his workout tells me he's good, he has a good interview, I'm not passing on a prospect because they had a bad Wonderlic score. Pass on him if you don't think he's very good. But passing on him because a test score is just dumb. 

Johnny Manziel scored a 32. He's gotta be a HOF QB, no?

1 hour ago, Carson4MVP said:

For certain positions, I don't care.  But you are saying that we should trust the QB to make the proper pre snap read, the proper decision to run or pass, and to follow his progression of receivers.  I'm not trusting a professional QB to do that that can be outscored on a test by a sixth grader.

For every Marino you can cite, I can find an Akili Smith, david Klingler, RGIII, Tim Couch.  If a guy can;t read defenses, he will suck in the NFL.  If he tries to run all of the time, his thin frame will get destroyed before his 6th game.

2 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

For certain positions, I don't care.  But you are saying that we should trust the QB to make the proper pre snap read, the proper decision to run or pass, and to follow his progression of receivers.  I'm not trusting a professional QB to do that that can be outscored on a test by a sixth grader.

For every Marino you can cite, I can find an Akili Smith, david Klingler, RGIII, Tim Couch.  If a guy can;t read defenses, he will suck in the NFL.  If he tries to run all of the time, his thin frame will get destroyed before his 6th game.

There’s plenty of tape of him after the pocket breaks down staying behind the line of scrimmage to get it to a receiver.

I think I have decided that if interior lineman is really where they decide to draft,  and most mocks I have seen line up that way in value, we ate trading down. I'd love to get a late first/ early second and another second while giving back a 5th. I also am convinced Thai Ragnow is the guy since I've decided our  offensive line coach will be reminded of Frederick. 

Archived