2022 Off-Season Thread: The Dead szn...

Dcash4

Was a QB at William and Mary, but of like 14 years of coaching he has spent 2 years as a QB coach. Kinda....odd...

But I don't really mind. Probably more of an "offensive" coach hire, but someone's gotta stick a title somewhere. Spent time as a WR and RB coach too. I am pro more brain power.

Bouchette said the Steelers have no interest in Matthieu the day after Labriola has been in direct contact. Another writer said DJ was holding out over contract dispute when DJ says there hasn’t been conversations yet. A couple of writers have said we have no cap space and restructures are needed to sign rookies, yet we have $17mil in space. 

I know our beat guys aren’t the best but they feel even more off than ever this year on everything. This makes me more confident in predicting the draft is going to toss us a huge curveball. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Bouchette said the Steelers have no interest in Matthieu the day after Labriola has been in direct contact. Another writer said DJ was holding out over contract dispute when DJ says there hasn’t been conversations yet. A couple of writers have said we have no cap space and restructures are needed to sign rookies, yet we have $17mil in space. 

I know our beat guys aren’t the best but they feel even more off than ever this year on everything. This makes me more confident in predicting the draft is going to toss us a huge curveball. 

I've just come to realize that the beat guys for the Steelers have no inside connections. Maybe it's not necessarily connections, but rather that the Steelers themselves don't put out information. Dudes like Bouchette and Dulac literally just lean on having been around the team for years and say what they would do, not what they actually are hearing from some source.

Like, the DJ stuff doesn't even make sense right now. He didn't go to OTA's last year AND the Steelers don't work extension until camp. So the idea he isn't there isn't surprising and neither is the idea they wouldn't have talked contracts. 

Bouchette making the call about Matthieu just feels like leaning on years of the Steelers not playing in the FA pool with older, expensive guys. But they have broken a ton of old "rules" recently and I doubt they are holding out on a starting spot for giggles. 

Our guys infuriate me, but I also think the Steelers don't open their mouths on anything. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, warfelg said:

1) Pittsburgh sports media has to be bottom 5 in the country.    Its one thing to be wrong, and its one thing to be smug....but so many of our guys are constantly wrong but smug as if they never are.

2)  I think they are waiting to see what happens in the draft.   If they were super interested in Matthieu or any free agent safety, I think they would have signed them by now.   I think they are looking to draft one, but if that falls through, give Matthieu a one year deal.

3) DJ is likely headed in that direction, either way.

• Like 1

Separate thought, but the Chiefs are a prime team to trade down with. My goodness I didn't realize what they were working with draft capital wise. 

They are also in desperate need of a WR after losing Hill. After us comes NE, Green Bay (twice), and Tennessee -- all of which could take WR. 

I am curious if KC could/would package 29 with either 62 or a combination of 94, 103, 121, 135. They have 12 total picks (who won't all make a roster) with 2 coming in each the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. They are a prime target to move. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Separate thought, but the Chiefs are a prime team to trade down with. My goodness I didn't realize what they were working with draft capital wise. 

They are also in desperate need of a WR after losing Hill. After us comes NE, Green Bay (twice), and Tennessee -- all of which could take WR. 

I am curious if KC could/would package 29 with either 62 or a combination of 94, 103, 121, 135. They have 12 total picks (who won't all make a roster) with 2 coming in each the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. They are a prime target to move. 

Green Bay is another option. They have two 1sts, two 2nds, a 3rd, and two 4ths. If a top WR falls, and the Steelers themselves are not interested, KC and GB could be in a bidding war.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cjfollett said:

Green Bay is another option. They have two 1sts, two 2nds, a 3rd, and two 4ths. If a top WR falls, and the Steelers themselves are not interested, KC and GB could be in a bidding war.

That would be great if it happened but I see a problem with it. Unless you think they're targeting a LB/DL/OL or the #2 Safety in the 1st (I don't) they would have to be looking at WR or QB. I don't think they would trade down if that were the case. 

When the Ravens cut you as a WR, you are not that good.

He doesn’t run good routes, can’t beat press coverage, and has inconsistent hands. Never was super productive in college, he was just a projection off of being tall and fast. He’s like a homeless man’s Chase Claypool.

Edited by jebrick