Free agency talk

Beck Bristow

Just now, THE DUKE said:

Not the worst strategy, but frustrating for fans who desperately want to see a RT and a CB

Athletic podcast discussed this today. Last year they signed 3 guys in the first 2 days. Similarly this year we signed 2 and resigned hill. Thursday evening was the Reiff signing. So we are on par with last year. It is safe to assume they are waiting on Dallas to cut Collins and the Watson trade to be done. As is most of the NFL

4 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

The point of FA is to not have to force yourself to draft for need. We shouldn’t be going into the draft with that mindset.

But the point of free agency is not to force something for millions of cap space either, just because you have a hole to fill.  I'd rather gamble on a draft pick on a rookie deal than a meh player for millions per season that you eventually dump anyway

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

But the point of free agency is not to force something for millions of cap space either, just because you have a hole to fill.  I'd rather gamble on a draft pick on a rookie deal than a meh player for millions per season that you eventually dump anyway

More than gamble a pick, I'd like to just focus on a younger player there. We're talking about a fourth receiving option,  I really don't mind giving sample elevated snaps.

12 minutes ago, Beck Bristow said:

More than gamble a pick, I'd like to just focus on a younger player there. We're talking about a fourth receiving option,  I really don't mind giving sample elevated snaps.

Personally I do not want Sample getting more snaps. I have seen enough to know he is nothing in the NFL and should never been picked in the 2nd round. I do think they draft 1 and sign 1 and have Sample be TE2 until the rookie is ready 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Beck Bristow said:

Me either.  TE is definitely a position with a short shelf life.

Edited by INbengalfan

13 minutes ago, ochocinco4pres said:

Traditionally they do not make an impact until year 2+ either. So banking on a rookie is a poor idea 

In our offense, the TE is no better than the fourth option, and with Evans and Mixon, often lower.  You design some plays for them, make sure they can block, and use them as outlets 75% of the time.

8 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

In our offense, the TE is no better than the fourth option, and with Evans and Mixon, often lower.  You design some plays for them, make sure they can block, and use them as outlets 75% of the time.

Agreed. but we saw the impact an effective TE can be in the offense as that option. CJ made massive plays throughout the season that included play designs for him. And those outlets can be massive plays for us. That's why I like a guy like Everett. Someone that can make a play where as Sample does absolutely nothing. As for a rookie, a player can fill that role, but banking on it is tough. 

Edited by ochocinco4pres

14 minutes ago, ochocinco4pres said:

Agreed. but we saw the impact an effective TE can be in the offense as that option. CJ made massive plays throughout the season that included play designs for him. And those outlets can be massive plays for us. That's why I like a guy like Everett. Someone that can make a play where as Sample does absolutely nothing. As for a rookie, a player can fill that role, but banking on it is tough. 

And I'm fine with that if they can get a guy on a fair market deal.  I just wouldn't overp[ay for a guy

• Like 1

I think we'd be ok not signing a vet TE in FA unless he comes really cheap. Sample can start and a day 2 or 3 rookie can support him. Moss or Schreck or a UDFA can fight for the 3rd spot. We could use a better WR4 than Mike Thomas whether in FA or the draft.

I'd like to see them go ahead and trade for Lael Collins and get that checked off the to-do list. They should still sign Tretter if possible or Bozeman if not. I'd expect Tre Flowers back on a reasonable deal with a bump over last year's pay. Maybe Apple too or someone like Rasul Douglas. We should have shown interest in Gladney but he signed with Arizona.