Forum wide Current Mock Draft-Discussion Thread

bcb1213

For example you have Kolton Miller, Ryan Jensen and Spencer Brown.

Kolton has PFR AV of 6, 7, 8, 8
Ryan Jensen has PFR AV of 8, 8, 8, 9, 10
Spencer Brown has PFR AV of 6

I'm not positive, but I think you are a Packers fan so I'll post some Packers OL that have been drafted for comparison
David Bakhtiari has PFR AV of 9, 9, 7, 16, 10, 14, 13, 15, 1
Corey Linsley has PFR AV of 9, 6, 6, 8, 7, 8, 13, 12
Elgton Jennings has PFR AV of 7, 11, 5
Josh Myers has PFR AV of 3 (the blog I linked explains the formula for offense in I think the first link, and starts is a factor which is why he'd be so low)

18 minutes ago, Trojan said:

For example you have Kolton Miller, Ryan Jensen and Spencer Brown.

Kolton has PFR AV of 6, 7, 8, 8
Ryan Jensen has PFR AV of 8, 8, 8, 9, 10
Spencer Brown has PFR AV of 6

I'm not positive, but I think you are a Packers fan so I'll post some Packers OL that have been drafted for comparison
David Bakhtiari has PFR AV of 9, 9, 7, 16, 10, 14, 13, 15, 1
Corey Linsley has PFR AV of 9, 6, 6, 8, 7, 8, 13, 12
Elgton Jennings has PFR AV of 7, 11, 5
Josh Myers has PFR AV of 3 (the blog I linked explains the formula for offense in I think the first link, and starts is a factor which is why he'd be so low)

So the higher the number the better?

2 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

So the higher the number the better?

Yes, that’s ProFootballReferences metric, higher the better.

But games missed always hurt the rating. You’ll never find a season with 5 or less games played and a 10 or better rating.

Like in theory the idea behind PFF rating is you get snap to snap a grade negative 2 to positive 2 (I think?) and as a result PFF will inflate some random players that are part time and quite good in limited role. PFR AV values things like starts and then applies multipliers (an All Pro in AV inflates it a lot, ie. Bahktiari's run -- then hurt few starts the 1 AV at the end). I like to post them side by side as AV, to me, helps contextualize when PFF makes a part time guy a top player. An example of that last sentence, and it's not the best example but I'm trying to use drafted players we can name, is Nate Hobbs who started 9 games for the Raiders at CB and for the Raiders in the cover 3 Seattle-y system Gus ran was quite good. He started 9 games and was mostly in nickel aligned on the slot. PFF has Nate Hobbs as the 5th highest graded CB. When you side by side to PFR's AV, he gets a 3. Neither grade has to be considered, but side by side you can see at least "Nate Hobbs is CB5" is controversial and he may be in limited snaps or special role, but in other metrics he's not that player. A realist would assume he's somewhere between the two then go back and make their own opinion. That said Jalen Ramsey is CB1 on PFF and has a 14 AV on PFR. Both more or less confirm that is a phenomenal player and you'd have to be cherry picking /nit picking to argue otherwise.

Edited by Trojan

3 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

I'm always interested in every pick where someone doesn't take my guy

Oh, who's your guy. It'll make my post a lot more interesting to go back and edit it with him instead