Forum wide Current Mock Draft-Discussion Thread

bcb1213

Really liked the Higbee pick and that's who I had as BPA and have had him there for a bit. I thought I could keep waiting as so few teams needed a TE. I thought it was odd how big of a gap it had been for TEs and I didn't view him as being a tier below at all. Great pick imo.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Trojan said:

Really liked the Higbee pick and that's who I had as BPA and have had him there for a bit. I thought I could keep waiting as so few teams needed a TE. I thought it was odd how big of a gap it had been for TEs and I didn't view him as being a tier below at all. Great pick imo.

I had also been waiting on TEs for a while, was looking at Okwuegbunam and Higbee as my main targets. When Alby O went off the board, I decided to go for it. If I didn't get Higbee, TE probably would've been the last starting spot I'd fill on my roster.

21 minutes ago, rackcs said:

I had also been waiting on TEs for a while, was looking at Okwuegbunam and Higbee as my main targets. When Alby O went off the board, I decided to go for it. If I didn't get Higbee, TE probably would've been the last starting spot I'd fill on my roster.

I was doing the same with higbee for the most part, but I also couldn't get super into drafting him so I just kept passing him up lol

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Blue said:

Not really sure why Austin Corbett was still available but Matt Feiler wasn't, Corbett has been a really good guard since he was traded to LA. Really surprised and happy to get him this late.

He was on my short list for my pick for sure.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blue said:

Not really sure why Austin Corbett was still available but Matt Feiler wasn't, Corbett has been a really good guard since he was traded to LA. Really surprised and happy to get him this late.

My starting guards are Joe Thuney and Brandon Scherff and I explained I took Feiler for positional versatility because we have so few bench spots. Corbett is a fine starter, but my team isn't hurting at guard. Hurting at guard was the one issue I saw as an argument about my line if someone argued Scherff might miss time. I addressed that with Feiler. The left/right tackle/guard discussion literally lasted pages. So I valued getting a left/right tackle/guard as a reserve to help sway votes. If roster construction had more depth spots I would not have taken him as I'd devote more reserve slots to OL. As is I plan one reserve, maybe two if a player is clearly BPA.

LT: Trent Williams
LG: Joe Thuney
OC: Rodney Hudson
RG: Brandon Scherff
RT: [not yet drafted]
BEN: Matt Feiler

is or is among the strongest offensive lines there should be little to no argument about that imo. I valued offensive line as I didn't get a top top QB, so the most crucial element to success will be strong capable defense and protection on offense. Josh Jacobs running behind that line, imo, is a better path to argue playoffs than it would be if I had gone like 1. Davante Adams 2. Justin Jefferson 3. Trevor Lawrence. Like regardless of what WRs you surround a young QB with, there is a cap to what that QB can execute. Obviously Burrow did amazing in that sort of a situation, but I think you'd be hard pressed finding offseason votes last year suggesting Bengals were SB contenders. I felt like an elite offensive line, a solid RB, and at least one very good WR would accentuate what TLaw is capable of, without relying on the majority of voters to believe in his maximum upside.

I think my team is fine, and I even posted why I took Feiler... and he was drafted as a reserve to an imo stacked OL whereas you took a fine Corbett, but he's your 3rd OLmen and the other two are upper average ish as well. Corbett is a fine pick, but Derek Carr and Jonathan Taylor are your first two picks and both have found success with great OLs and imo you'll need two more very good value OL to function. Cam Jordan, Grady Jarrett and Chris Jones v. DJ Humphries, Austin Corbett and Jedrick Wills is what you are trying to counter at the moment. A lot hinges on how you (and those in your division) finish constructing.

• Like 2

I don't think Taylor has had a very good interior OL in the NFL and Carr went and had arguably the best season of his career with a bunch of OL who still haven't been drafted here yet. I don't think either of them "need" great offensive lines to be successful, but with a 24 team league, it's not like anyone is going to have a bad offensive line.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Blue said:

I don't think Taylor has had a very good interior OL in the NFL and Carr went and had arguably the best season of his career with a bunch of OL who still haven't been drafted here yet. I don't think either of them "need" great offensive lines to be successful, but with a 24 team league, it's not like anyone is going to have a bad offensive line.

Quenton Nelson and Ryan Kelly make for a very good interior OL, I don't care if they put me at RG.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

Quenton Nelson and Ryan Kelly make for a very good interior OL, I don't care if they put me at RG.

Nelson missed four games last year and wasn't 100% when he did play. Meanwhile, look at where Kelly was drafted in this. Was he even one of the top 10 centers taken? EDIT: 6th C taken, which I think is quite high.

Edited by Blue

3 minutes ago, Blue said:

Nelson missed four games last year and wasn't 100% when he did play. Meanwhile, look at where Kelly was drafted in this. Was he even one of the top 10 centers taken?

Those were also the first four games in his career he has missed.  Where a guy is drafted here isn't necessarily indicative of how good they actually are. 

General point being, I do think Taylor has had a good-to-very good OL so far in the NFL.  I also think he'd be successful with children blocking for him.

3 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

Those were also the first four games in his career he has missed.  Where a guy is drafted here isn't necessarily indicative of how good they actually are. 

General point being, I do think Taylor has had a good-to-very good OL so far in the NFL.  I also think he'd be successful with children blocking for him.

Yeah but that's irrelevant. Taylor just had the best season of his career with Nelson not playing at his best or starting all season.

Edited by Blue