Pre-draft tidbits

Louis Friend

48 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

Alot of pro days and interviews being done right now. Thought it might be nice to get a thread to post all that info.

Start us off, LB Kelvin Shepperd was running drills at Georgia's pro day. Spielman was also there to observe. 

They may be taking a hard look at Channing Tindall.  He would make a ton of sense for the Lions.

14 minutes ago, BarryTheBest said:

My honest hope is Hutch at 2 the WR then defense the rest of the way from there as long as the board makes sense. I am hoping we add Austin Hooper to help with our TE depth. 

I’m pretty much in agreement. I wouldn’t be surprised to see them draft  a TE or pursue one in free agency as you’ve suggested.

The Lions badly need a LB and Safety as well.

5 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

They may be taking a hard look at Channing Tindall.  He would make a ton of sense for the Lions.

I hope they're looking at Quay Walker. He's better than Tindall imo. His upside is insane.

1 minute ago, diehardlionfan said:

There are so many good players in that range.

Quay is one of them. Could develop into the best off-the-ball LB in the NFL if his instincts catch up to the rest of his game. I'm more bullish on that than I'd normally be because he only has one year of starting experience. 6'4" 240+ with 4.5 speed, long arms, heavy hands, fluid hips, and surprising agility. He's the sort of LB who can blanket TEs, run sideline to sideline, and discard blockers in the running game. That's rare, very rare.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

Quay is one of them. Could develop into the best off-the-ball LB in the NFL if his instincts catch up to the rest of his game. I'm more bullish on that than I'd normally be because he only has one year of starting experience. 6'4" 240+ with 4.5 speed, long arms, heavy hands, fluid hips, and surprising agility. He's the sort of LB who can blanket TEs, run sideline to sideline, and discard blockers in the running game. That's rare, very rare.

Well, the Lions certainly need that type of player. LB is a glaring need.

• Like 1

Tindal is a prototype WLB and would be able to claim that role pretty early.  I am always a little leary of "waiting for instincts to catch up".  They have a very similar college career arc.  You could make the argument that Tindal was more productive with less game experience.  The stats for Quay Walker and Channing Tindal:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/quay-walker-1.html

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/channing-tindall-1.html

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

Tindal is a prototype WLB and would be able to claim that role pretty early.  I am always a little leary of "waiting for instincts to catch up".  They have a very similar college career arc.  You could make the argument that Tindal was more productive with less game experience.  The stats for Quay Walker and Channing Tindal:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/quay-walker-1.html

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/channing-tindall-1.html

I evaluated both and didn't like Tindall nearly as much. Tindall is extremely fast, but he's a more linear athlete than Walker. It limits him in coverage. And his instincts really aren't great either, likely for the same reasons Walker's aren't (lack of PT). I'll also note that Walker at times was responsible for getting UGA's defense lined up. I never saw Tindall have that responsibility. I saw Tindall as more of an early Day 3 pick. But I expect his elite speed will push him up the board into the 50 to 80 pick range.