Baker Mayfield formally requests a trade

TheRealMcCoy

2 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Most likely. If we can get a 2nd rounder out of him from the SEA/IND I will be happy.

I think the Browns would be lucky to get a 5th.  Honestly, I won't be shocked if this plays out and he is just released if fences aren't mended.  That "want an adult" comment getting out may have fractured the relationship beyond repair.  I can't even say I disagree with the assessment, but letting that get out was a monumental blunder by the Browns front office.

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Again, it depends on the timing. If he refused to meet with the ownership after they were up front with him and he refused to meet and demanded a trade, they're right.

If the timing is different, then they're not.

I don't think anyone looks good here.

Given the post Week 17 comments where Baker took shots at Stefanski and the coaches, pardon me if I don't give him the benefit of the doubt, and the same goes for Jimmy.

Like i've said, I don't even disagree with their opinion on Baker, but as soon as that got out to the press, the possibility of him wanting the play QB for the Browns pretty much evaporated.  Right or wrong, it was a big front office blunder.

• Like 2

Just now, THE DUKE said:

I think the Browns would be lucky to get a 5th.  Honestly, I won't be shocked if this plays out and he is just released if fences aren't mended.  That "want an adult" comment getting out may have fractured the relationship beyond repair.

Given Seattle has already inquired and Baker is an average QB, they won't release him IMO.

Just now, THE DUKE said:

I can't even say I disagree with the assessment, but letting that get out was a monumental blunder by the Browns front office.

As long as people hold organizations like the Cardinals to the same standard on their end, I don't disagree with this at all. Those of us who are married can attest to "being right" and "shouldn't have said that" go hand in hand.

• Like 1

Just now, Ray Reed said:

What's going to go down as the better Thomas5737 take?

Freddie Kitchens > Mike Tomlin 
or
Baker Mayfield > Lamar Jackson

Option 3:

Ravens fans trashing organizations pursuing DeShaun Watson for the moral highground while banging the Ray Lewis drum for 20 years.

;) 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Again, it depends on the timing. If he refused to meet with the ownership after they were up front with him and he refused to meet and demanded a trade, they're right.

If the timing is different, then they're not.

I don't think anyone looks good here.

Given the post Week 17 comments where Baker took shots at Stefanski and the coaches, pardon me if I don't give him the benefit of the doubt, and the same goes for Jimmy.

I've never said they weren't right.

Just now, MWil23 said:

Given Seattle has already inquired and Baker is an average QB, they won't release him IMO.

As long as people hold organizations like the Cardinals to the same standard on their end, I don't disagree with this at all. Those of us who are married can attest to "being right" and "shouldn't have said that" go hand in hand.

Plenty of teams inquired about trading for La'el Collins too, and yesterday he was released.  Seattle might send over a 5th or 6th to secure a starting QB for 2022 at under $20 million, or they might just wait the situation out.  And Collins is a much better RT than Mayfield is a QB.

Just now, THE DUKE said:

Plenty of teams inquired about trading for La'el Collins too, and yesterday he was released. 

But what was Collins cap hit?

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/baker-mayfield-25096/

Baker isn't getting released to get paid almost $20 million not to play for them IMO. Different scenario.

Just now, THE DUKE said:

Seattle might send over a 5th or 6th to secure a starting QB for 2022 at under $20 million, or they might just wait the situation out.  And Collins is a much better RT than Mayfield is a QB.

It has nothing to do with "better" and everything to do with positional value and guaranteed money.

JT is one of the GOAT players in NFL History, and he played on a losing team 9 times due to awful QB play. Releasing Collins FREED UP $10 million for the Cowboys.

4 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

The Darnold trade was a big whiff, and Wentz has played better than Baker.

Eh, Wentz in 2020 was Baker in 2019 and Wentz in 2021 was Baker in 2020. I think they're comparable once you factor in contracts.

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

Eh, Wentz in 2020 was Baker in 2019 and Wentz in 2021 was Baker in 2020. I think they're comparable once you factor in contracts.

Just different opinions.  I think any front office giving up valuable assets for Baker Mayfield won't have a front office job in a couple of years.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Just different opinions.  I think any front office giving up valuable assets for Baker Mayfield won't have a front office job in a couple of years.

I think Baker is likely worth a conditional D2 pick. I think he's a capable bridge QB to help get you through a couple of rebuilding years as long as you have a plan in place to move on from him.

If you get him for about a 2 year $40 million/$50 million deal and then can build around him and move on from him after that, you'll be fine.

If you're trusting him to be THE GUY, you're out of a job IMO.

He's going to be a 10 year starter in the NFL because he's average IMO. He's just not a franchise guy.

All these "relationship" comparisons are sort of gross. This isn't a marriage, it's a business

Both parties consented to a situation for a fixed period of time, and both parties know there are options to extend that period of time, or cut that time short

The Browns can and should be looking at their options to move on if they don't think they want Baker back (or want him at the contract he wants). Baker in turn, can use the power of his position to try to force hands as well.

I agree that words got leaked that should not have, and have turned it toxic, but this whole "Cleveland has wronged Baker" narrative is insane