Browns to trade for QB Deshaun Watson; Agree to new contract (5yr 230M Fully GTD)

AkronsWitness

Base Salaries of the 5 Highest Paid QBs in 2022:

• Rodgers 1.05m
  • Watson 1.0m ?
  • Mahomes 1.50m
  • Prescott 1.60m
  • Josh Allen 4.1m

Are we getting 4 or 5 suspensions?  Were the other 4 cap maneuvers? Does Cleveland have a cap?

x-files-omg.gif

So its possible that this was done for cap reasons.

Its possible it was done to avoid suspension costs.

It was probably done for both.

It does happen. I think New England did it for Brady in 2016.

I think its more information reporting than conspiracy reporting.

16 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

So its possible that this was done for cap reasons.

Its possible it was done to avoid suspension costs.

It was probably done for both.

It does happen. I think New England did it for Brady in 2016.

I think its more information reporting than conspiracy reporting.

Deshaun Watson was already under contract and signed through 2025. His base salary in 2022 was supposed to be $35 million. If he was suspended for one year under the old contract he would have lost that amount (and a proportional amount for a smaller suspension).

Through this trade to the Cleveland Browns and subsequent extension he is making more money over the same time period (through signing bonus) and the cost of being suspended a year is now 1M.

Watson is definitely avoiding the financial cost of a suspension. He is losing less money if he was suspended for the entire year under his new contract than he would have for a one game suspension under the old contract. All of the signing bonus money that he is protected from losing is stuck to the Browns as a cap charge (this year and prorated over the span of the contract), unlike the money recovered from a suspension, so it certainly will not help their cap. This is not a conspiracy. 

Edited by wackywabbit
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

Deshaun Watson was already under contract and signed through 2025. His base salary in 2022 was supposed to be $35 million. If he was suspended for one year under the old contract he would have lost that amount.

Through this trade to the Cleveland Browns and subsequent extension he is making more money over the same time period (through signing bonus) and the cost of being suspended a year is now 1M.

Watson is definitely avoiding the financial cost of a suspension. This is not a conspiracy. 

Now fit the 35 million + rookie salaries on the Browns 16m 2022 cap space without a restructure. If they trade Baker to get back to 35 do they have your permission to sign more free agents?

Its definitely also a cap thing.

Which means it can be both.

I keep telling people to look at the whole picture, not that they are wrong.

Edited by SkippyX

7 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

Now fit the 35 million + rookie salaries on the Browns 16m 2022 cap space without a restructure. If they trade Baker to get back to 35 do they have your permission to sign more free agents?

Its definitely also a cap thing.

Which means it can be both.

I keep telling people to look at the whole picture, not that they are wrong.

Dude... I'm not talking about the Browns 2022 cap. I don't care about that. Even in a pure football discussion anything I don't think cap space matters. It is super easy to push into future years and the Browns like any other team could do so if they wanted to bad enough.

Even speaking purely about cap space, the Browns are eating the cap space from the suspension at some point, since they shifted it away from Watson's salary. This is a bad thing for their cap space.

2 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

The NFL and NFLPA are free to negotiate setting suspension fines based on cap hits or average yearly value. You should let the Ravens know you want this.

I do want this. What is the number I call?

Edited by wackywabbit

If the simple math says they can't eat the 35 this year and field a team then they care about it. You don't own the Browns. (insert Rodgers Bears joke) If you are going to restructure then go all the way since you only save 80% (new bonus is divided by 5 for each year) Look at how many Saints have a 1 million dollar contract. Its the new math of the NFL. Ask @Matts4313 or @Forge or @Dome or any other cap nerd (or at least cap curious).

100% of the other top 5 QBs have done this

Want to reach the Ravens? Try here for a start?

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/stay-connected/

No idea on the chat bot, maybe Twitter?

47 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

This may be the wildest detail out of this story

🤮   The Browns just bought him out of the financial cost of a suspension. No wonder he had a "change of heart" about the Browns being a place to win.

100% I think we all knew that though. It was Atlanta all the way, but let’s be real, this is a business decision and the young man made that the best decision for himself. I’m not mad, I’m quite happy, now I just want Matt to have a nice place to ride off into the sunset. 

5 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

If the simple math says they can't eat the 35 this year and field a team then they care about it. You don't own the Browns. (insert Rodgers Bears joke) If you are going to restructure then go all the way since you only save 80% (new bonus is divided by 5 for each year) Look at how many Saints have a 1 million dollar contract. Its the new math of the NFL. Ask @Matts4313 or @Forge or @Dome or any other cap nerd (or at least cap curious).

100% of the other top 5 QBs have done this

Want to reach the Ravens? Try here for a start?

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/stay-connected/

No idea on the chat bot, maybe Twitter?

The Saints just gave Marcus Davenport a 9 year extension with 9 voidable years.

I just wanted to share.

Edit: now being reported as a 5 year extension with 5 voidable years, how mundane 

Edited by Dome
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Dome said:

The Saints just gave Marcus Davenport a 9 year extension with 9 voidable years.

I just wanted to share.

Overthecap.com should offer a service where they will mock up a contract and frame it so you can put it on your wall. That one is a keeper.

Just now, SkippyX said:

Overthecap.com should offer a service where they will mock up a contract and frame it so you can put it on your wall. That one is a keeper.

It was originally reported as a 9 year extension… now all I’m seeing is 5

still not as good as Taysoms first big fake extension. Payton kinda killed the joke with the follow up real extension.