Deshaun Watson is a Cleveland Brown

brownie man

5 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

Not enough, but so it is.

I mean with the way the contract is set up and brining in Brissett means they think he’s out for a good part of the season.  So did the Browns give Hou a top 10 pick if he’s out 8-10 games?

Edited by JDD
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, JDD said:

I mean with the way the contract is set up and brining in Brissett means they think he’s out for a good part of the season.  So did the Browns give Hou a top 10 pick if he’s out 8-10 games?

Most have guessed six. That's probably accurate.

9 hours ago, Rod Johnson said:

Nah I personally enjoyed being competitive after being in purgatory my whole life.  I'm excited though for how good we can be with Watson, but I also recognize that we could potentially be really screwed for a while.

We would have potentially have been screwed for a while if we DIDN'T make this move. 

Quit being scared to try and win.

8 hours ago, JDD said:

So what if they did?

Does it really make a difference if the pick we end up giving is top 5 if the pick we WOULD have had if we just went with baker would have been like pick 18 or 20?

Say for example Watson is out the entire season, and Houston ends up with pick 1.  People will be absolutely ROASTING our front office over it saying "we would have had the #1 pick", even though the only reason the pick would be that high in the first place was because of the trade and a year long suspension.  Total fallacy of logic, but that's what a huger percentage of people will do.

I am glad our front office is making decisions for wins and not making decisions to give people the warm and fuzzies of having a semi-competitive team.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, duke2056 said:

So what if they did?

Does it really make a difference if the pick we end up giving is top 5 if the pick we WOULD have had if we just went with baker would have been like pick 18 or 20?

Say for example Watson is out the entire season, and Houston ends up with pick 1.  People will be absolutely ROASTING our front office over it saying "we would have had the #1 pick", even though the only reason the pick would be that high in the first place was because of the trade and a year long suspension.  Total fallacy of logic, but that's what a huger percentage of people will do.

I am glad our front office is making decisions for wins and not making decisions to give people the warm and fuzzies of having a semi-competitive team.

How does that make any sense.  You give up all those picks because you believe they will be in the 20’s at worst.  Giving up a top 5 pick in this situation makes the trade worst for the Browns.  Giving up 2 top 10 picks and then you start to wonder if the trade was worth it.  

I wonder how much time Truck Stop will give the FO and HC? Can’t believe he gives them more than 2 years if things go bad this year. 

23 minutes ago, JDD said:

How does that make any sense.  You give up all those picks because you believe they will be in the 20’s at worst.  Giving up a top 5 pick in this situation makes the trade worst for the Browns.  Giving up 2 top 10 picks and then you start to wonder if the trade was worth it.  

I wonder how much time Truck Stop will give the FO and HC? Can’t believe he gives them more than 2 years if things go bad this year. 

It makes sense and it wouldnt bother me at all if our pick ends up the #1 next year if 2023 and 2024 are successful seasons because of it.

If you want to look at it as though we gave pick 1 in that situation, so be it, but I sure wouldnt.

Why?  Because if we didnt go after Watson and just rolled with Baker, we would end up with a mid 1st again.

The trade changes the compensation.  Let me repeat that.  The trade CHANGES the compensation.

The 2023 1st MIGHT end up very high if Watson is suspended this year, but that was part of the cost of doing business.  it's not like we could have waited till next year to make this trade.

I don’t believe that to be the case for a second. He never had the leverage here to sit out. And if he was going to sit out, it was because the organization, including his own teammates, made it uncomfortable for him to be the quarterback here. I don’t think there’s much question that the organization did not buy in to him being the answer here. He doesn’t seem like a guy that cares what people thinks though, which makes me believe this decision was about the Browns, and not as a response to Baker being ready to sit out. All that said, I would rather have Baker with all his many flaws then Watson with what we know.

31 minutes ago, duke2056 said:

It makes sense and it wouldnt bother me at all if our pick ends up the #1 next year if 2023 and 2024 are successful seasons because of it.

If you want to look at it as though we gave pick 1 in that situation, so be it, but I sure wouldnt.

Why?  Because if we didnt go after Watson and just rolled with Baker, we would end up with a mid 1st again.

The trade changes the compensation.  Let me repeat that.  The trade CHANGES the compensation.

The 2023 1st MIGHT end up very high if Watson is suspended this year, but that was part of the cost of doing business.  it's not like we could have waited till next year to make this trade.

Cool so they traded the future of this team to suck for a year.  Great reasoning.  And if he is out for all of 22 you expect him to be a top QB after not playing for 2 years? 

The idea that they don’t know what the suspension is going to be makes this trade so backwards of the way they have built this team.  Not to mention the contract they gave him which ties him to the team for many years.  

Hope Truck Stop Jimmy gives them time to build this roster out.  Because if things go bad I think we are back to FO / HC carousel for years