Deshaun Watson is a Cleveland Brown

brownie man

1 minute ago, duke2056 said:

None of this is true.  Zero.

The only toxic thing right now are message boards.

Eating part of his contract is doing everyone a favor except the Browns.

This isnt "dragging on".  It just happened, and its MARCH.  Repeat, it is MARCH.  The only thing that would make us look silly is if we end up eating any of his salary.  

Might I also remind you that Baker may not even be able to pass a physical right now in order for a trade to even occur. 

C'mon man.  Be better.  

You have a pissed off Baker who is demanding trades all while being under fire from everybody in the NFL for the Watson deal. I would say things are pretty shaky right now at Browns HQ. 

The Browns arnt going to get fair value for Baker since they nuked his trade value by releasing the whole 'adult' comments and Baker in return demanded a trade. Getting rid of him for a conditional mid-rounder is likely the best case scenario or else teams are just going to smoke the Browns out until they just release him.

Hes not going to be able to get moved until the draft/post draft but in a perfect world--they could just dump him now  IF there was a potential suitor.

5 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

You have a pissed off Baker who is demanding trades all while being under fire from everybody in the NFL for the Watson deal. I would say things are pretty shaky right now at Browns HQ. 

The Browns arnt going to get fair value for Baker since they nuked his trade value by releasing the whole 'adult' comments and Baker in return demanded a trade. Getting rid of him for a conditional mid-rounder is likely the best case scenario or else teams are just going to smoke the Browns out until they just release him.

Hes not going to be able to get moved until the draft/post draft but in a perfect world--they could just dump him now  IF there was a potential suitor.

So sounds like you just want him gone now no matter how we do it to the detriment of the future of the team.......rather than show a little patience and not only get off the hook for his entire contract but possibly also receive a reasonable pick for him??

If teams want to "smoke us out" till we release him they are going to have to wait quite a long time because he isnt being released, nor should he.

Theres no QB controversy here.  Baker can be on the roster all year.  Who cares?  If he is a tool he just gets suspended and we save cap money.  If he plays nice at camp some other team will trade for him when their QB gets hurt.

Moving on now just cause it might give YOU the warm and fuzzies is......terrible

37 minutes ago, duke2056 said:

So sounds like you just want him gone now no matter how we do it to the detriment of the future of the team.......rather than show a little patience and not only get off the hook for his entire contract but possibly also receive a reasonable pick for him??

If teams want to "smoke us out" till we release him they are going to have to wait quite a long time because he isnt being released, nor should he.

Theres no QB controversy here.  Baker can be on the roster all year.  Who cares?  If he is a tool he just gets suspended and we save cap money.  If he plays nice at camp some other team will trade for him when their QB gets hurt.

Moving on now just cause it might give YOU the warm and fuzzies is......terrible

The problem with trading Mayfield

He can tell everyone he is not signing a franchise tag or a long term contract.

That makes that contract untraceable. 

Chances are he wants to go to Tampa Bay

With a excellent line plus a stacked wr core. 

He is also a excellent business man getting paid more than the Browns make as a team.

So first and foremost is how much can he make doing commercials in that area.

53 minutes ago, duke2056 said:

What 'detriment of the future'?? Best case he was worth a 2nd rounder and maybe like a 6th. Now with his injury/play/attitude/trade demands/contract he is worth a conditional 3rd at best.

If that level of compensation is going to hurt the Browns future we have bigger issues. 

I would also argue keeping him on the roster and having him step foot inside the building would create more internal damage and locker room problems than any 2nd round draft pick we might be holding out for would solve.

I would rather give him away for a 3rd-5th rounder if a team was desperate enough to eat his cap hit and not deal with him in the Browns facility over risking more internal mess by bringing him in and hoping he doesnt cause a distraction. The last thing this team needs is a pissy QB who is walking the plank answering questions from reporters in a Browns uniform.

14 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

What 'detriment of the future'?? Best case he was worth a 2nd rounder and maybe like a 6th. Now with his injury/play/attitude/trade demands/contract he is worth a conditional 3rd at best.

If that level of compensation is going to hurt the Browns future we have bigger issues. 

I would also argue keeping him on the roster and having him step foot inside the building would create more internal damage and locker room problems than any 2nd round draft pick we might be holding out for would solve.

I would rather give him away for a 3rd-5th rounder if a team was desperate enough to eat his cap hit and not deal with him in the Browns facility over risking more internal mess by bringing him in and hoping he doesnt cause a distraction. The last thing this team needs is a pissy QB who is walking the plank answering questions from reporters in a Browns uniform.

Watson did that last year. He was on the roster but not active. He still got paid and they got rewarded the following offseason.

We would do that before we cut Mayfield because at least we'd be eligible for a comp pick. Also he could still be traded if someone offered something. I see no reason to ask him to come to camp or practice that would be ignorant. The team has moved on there is no reason to stay in the same house while waiting on the divorce papers to be finalized.

8 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Apparently this was debunked (the contract part) but IDK.....I would rather trust Thomas and what he says than whatever is being pumped out by agents/front office for posturing purposes.

If thats true, then Baker has a image problem where he thinks he is better than 30M a year and he also thinks he is good enough to go to his preferred choice which is also not true.

So instead of being the Browns franchise QB for 30M/yr--he is now on the trade block with no contract and no potential buyers. I blame his agent for that one. Its the agents job to explain to him what his value actually is so he doesnt make moves like this.

Jake Trotter was doing the talk show rounds the last few days and stated that there never were any contract talks with Baker and that the $30 mill piece was bogus. I love Joe but I will take ESPN's Cleveland beat writer input over Joe's on the matter. The rest of it I agree with Joe.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pscottdai said:

Jake Trotter was doing the talk show rounds the last few days and stated that there never were any contract talks with Baker and that the $30 mill piece was bogus. I love Joe but I will take ESPN's Cleveland beat writer input over Joe's on the matter. The rest of it I agree with Joe.

Dog I disagree. I don’t think Baker was ever offered a contract. 

I think they probably would’ve been down to negotiate mid season if Baker was playing strong, but him playing on that fifth year option was always the plan.

as much as the Baker bros don’t wanna accept it the FO and Coaching staff didn’t believe Baker was all that. They were skeptical and rightfully so

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

Watson did that last year. He was on the roster but not active. He still got paid and they got rewarded the following offseason.

We would do that before we cut Mayfield because at least we'd be eligible for a comp pick. Also he could still be traded if someone offered something. I see no reason to ask him to come to camp or practice that would be ignorant. The team has moved on there is no reason to stay in the same house while waiting on the divorce papers to be finalized.

We only were able to do that with Watson because there was a mutual agreement that he was going to sit and not play. I think you can fine Baker for refusing to play but I don’t know what that means for a player that’s not doing anything because they’re buried on the depth chart

i mean, the problem with keeping Baker -is- the contract, right? So coming to an agreement that he sit out doesn’t really do much for you. You want him to not show up so you can fine him his paychecks. 

3 hours ago, tab said:

We only were able to do that with Watson because there was a mutual agreement that he was going to sit and not play. I think you can fine Baker for refusing to play but I don’t know what that means for a player that’s not doing anything because they’re buried on the depth chart

i mean, the problem with keeping Baker -is- the contract, right? So coming to an agreement that he sit out doesn’t really do much for you. You want him to not show up so you can fine him his paychecks. 

Worst case scenario though is that he doesn't have an accrued season and is under contract next year for 18 million which would financially cripple the team. 

It's better to have him count against the cap this year than next. Not getting the carryover cap would hurt but not as much as having him under contract next year.

Neither are realistic. Someone will get injured and his value will spike and you trade him then. Otherwise find a team with cap room and trade him there and let them trade him to Pittsburgh. 

1 hour ago, NudeTayne said:

Baker is showing up to camp, 100% guaranteed. He knows that will force their hand. He's been saying all the right stuff for years now. Folks are wishful thinking. They will likely tell him to stay home and will keep paying him until he is traded.

If Deshaun is traded then I hink they would prefer to start Baker. 
If he hits it for 4 weeks he could leverage himself into a starting role and the Browns could get a 1. A win win for both teams.