Where does Baker Mayfield get traded to and how much does he go for? !Poll!

brownie man

Where does Baker get trade to and how much does he go for?   

162 members have voted

1. 1. What team trades for Baker?

• Seattle Seahawks
    • Indianapolis Colts
    • New Orleans Saints
    • Detroit Lions
    • Somewhere else

7 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

If I was Baker Mayfield's agent right now I'd be telling him to report to the Browns and be a consummate professional. As things stand, I'm not convinced anyone will sign him to a big contract in FA next year (He probably gets Trubisky/Mariota type money and an opportunity to be a bridge QB for a 2023 first round pick somewhere), however if he comes in during Watson's suspension and balls out, he puts himself in the shop window to break the bank in free agency next year.

Why should he do that? Why be a consumate professional, because Watson was as a Texan the past 18 months? He's taken his last snap as a Brown. You shouldn't want him in the building either given the circumstances. 

The only shot the Browns have at trading Baker is with a Sam Bradford type injury trade occurring. Where a Starter goes does, team panicked and trade for Baker. 

Otherwise, biting the bullet, taking the loss and cutting ties is the route to go. The FO basically set that possibility in motion the minute they signed Watson. 

25 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

If I was Baker Mayfield's agent right now I'd be telling him to report to the Browns and be a consummate professional. As things stand, I'm not convinced anyone will sign him to a big contract in FA next year (He probably gets Trubisky/Mariota type money and an opportunity to be a bridge QB for a 2023 first round pick somewhere), however if he comes in during Watson's suspension and balls out, he puts himself in the shop window to break the bank in free agency next year.

I think the league has made it pretty clear how much they value Baker, I don't think a 6 game sample of him balling out is going to change much. And I don't think that the team is going to want him in the locker room this season.

30 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Still doesn't change the fact Baker's personality is more childish than adultish. 

I have zero issue with his personality. He almost always says the right things, is matter of fact and makes sense.

People think because he responded to negative media attention early on that he is immature.

"Media" reports stuff enough times whether true or not and the majority of people take it as fact. Even though there are no sources or facts to back anything up. Humans are easily brainwashed and this is just one minor instance of that.

51 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Why should he do that? Why be a consumate professional, because Watson was as a Texan the past 18 months? He's taken his last snap as a Brown. You shouldn't want him in the building either given the circumstances. 

The only shot the Browns have at trading Baker is with a Sam Bradford type injury trade occurring. Where a Starter goes does, team panicked and trade for Baker. 

Otherwise, biting the bullet, taking the loss and cutting ties is the route to go. The FO basically set that possibility in motion the minute they signed Watson. 

You think being a " non professional " furthers his opportunities for another contract?

18 minutes ago, squire12 said:

You think being a " non professional " furthers his opportunities for another contract?

I don't think it effects his next team or contract in anyway, just like it didn't for Watson deciding to sit out instead of play for Houston. Was he the consumate professional in 2021 or a "non professional "? Funny how the narrative changes when players are looking out for their best interest, but aren't as good?

Not comparing the overall talent of the two QB's but the situations. No one including his next team would fault him for sitting out IMO, not wanting to be part of Clevelands organization. The Browns created this situation,  not Baker. 

Playing the good little soldier and risking injury helps him in no way whatsoever towards a 2023 contract. 

Edited by Nabbs4u

6 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

I don't think it effects his next team or contract in anyway, just like it didn't for Watson deciding to sit out instead of play for Houston. Was he the consumate professional in 2021 or a "non professional "? Funny how the narrative changes when players are looking out for their best interest, but aren't as good?

That's just it.  Watson is a better viewed QB compared to Mayfield.  That the " leash" for each is different is not groundbreaking in professional sports

Not comparing the overall talent of the two QB's but the situations. No one including his next team would fault him for sitting out IMO, not wanting to be part of Clevelands organization. The Browns created this situation,  not Baker. 

Baker hasn't helped with his on field performance 

Playing the good little soldier and risking injury helps him in no way whatsoever. 

If he is serious about a next contract it very well might.

2 hours ago, Forge said:

Honestly, I feel like his 2020 season is overrated. He had a really nice back stretch of the season, but his first 10 games he averaged fewer than 200 yards per game, had 15 tds (and that included a 5td game) sub 90 rating, 7 picks. So when people talk about a really nice 2020, what they are really saying is that he had an awesome stretch of 6 games (well, 5 games...but the Jets games had some pretty sizeable extenuating circumstances, and you can sub the 5TD game in for that to say 6 really good games for the year). There's nothing wrong with that, but I really think that the season has been overly inflated in the narrative used to defend him (not that you're defending him, I'm speaking in a vacuum). 

He had 15 TD and 7 picks through through 7 games...then the three game stretch of bad weather including a couple that were really intense. He had 4 games with a rating over 100 in his first 7 games (3 in his final 9 but 3 were bad weather) so overall the only difference from early on and late we fewer TDs and picks. Probably to be expected with a new offense.

In 2021 the offense turned into the same offense as Freddie Kitchens' for some strange reason, I guess because we were terrible at the tackle positions that those slow developing routes downfield again became the obvious choice for the passing offense.

Baker needed to get out of the 5 wide empty backfield offense with scrubs/injured players at tackle. It was doomed for failure and we brought it out week after week. It was a terrible coaching job for the passing offense and the injured Baker did not play the hero and I doubt many QBs would have in that scenario.

Edited by Thomas5737

5 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

He had 15 TD and 7 picks through through 7 games...then the three game stretch of bad weather including a couple that were really intense. He had 4 games with a rating over 100 in his first 7 games (3 in his final 9 but 3 were bad weather) so overall the only difference from early on and late we fewer TDs and picks. Probably to be expected with a new offense.

In 2021 the offense turned into the same offense as Freddie Kitchens' for some strange reason, I guess because we were terrible at the tackle positions that those slow developing routes downfield again became the obvious choice for the passing offense.

Baker needed to get out of the 5 wide empty backfield offense with scrubs/injured players at tackle. It was doomed for failure and we brought it out week after week. It was a terrible coaching job for the passing offense and the injured Baker did not play the hero and I doubt many QBs would have in that scenario.

It's always something, I guess. 

• Like 2

Baker has the chance to be a perfectly fine starting QB. He also hasn't shown enough for long enough to indicate that is actually what he is. We are now going on year 5 of this. Excuses can keep being made, because context matters, but the results have to matter at the end of the day. He comes up short there. 

I've said the same thing about Kyle Shanahan. I'll argue until I'm blue in the face about the injuries having impacted his coaching career or how he's had some weird circumstances that spiraled, but I've also said that he has to wear his reputation and his record until he overcomes it. The results have to matter at some point. 

23 minutes ago, Forge said:

It's always something, I guess. 

Well, we'll see how it plays out this year with other guys at QB. If the passing offense stays the same and the tackle play ends up like last year I expect there to be excuses for Watson/Brissett too and they would be valid.

Baker isn't going to be great in just any offense. That isn't who he is. He was capable in the 4 or 5 different offenses in Cleveland but none played to his greatest skill set of a rhythm passer.

1 hour ago, squire12 said:

That's just it.  Watson is a better viewed QB compared to Mayfield.  That the " leash" for each is different is not groundbreaking in professional sports

Baker hasn't helped with his on field performance 

If he is serious about a next contract it very well might.

Pretty weak argument 

The only 2 wbs he has not beat Aaron rodgers. 

Patrick Mahomes.

He has beaten league mvp

Lamar

Roethlisberger 

Cousins 

Allen

Tannehill 

Afc championship Burrows 

This is the NFL playing poker because teams know Haslem has impacted there profit so there impacting him to the tune of 18,000,000.

To be honest glad to see Haslam hit in the pocket books

Furthermore at this time on there careers he has more touchdown 

And yards then rodgers and Brady

And Roethlisberger. 

Sorry to swing so hard but your objective observations are horrible. 

Josh McDaniels and Bruce Ariens wanted him as there qbs .

1 hour ago, mtmmike said:

And Roethlisberger. 

Sorry to swing so hard but your objective observations are horrible. 

So since Baker started early in his rookiebyear his stats through 4 years ate better than some all time great.  

I would venture if you look at it through the # of starts for each the results change.

Pretty weak argument 

No it's not. 

Everyone knows that the length of your leash is determined by your ability. Antonio Brown is not getting as many chances as he's getting if he's Josh Reynolds. 

This isn't new...Jimmy Johnson commented on this decades ago

The only 2 wbs he has not beat Aaron rodgers. 

Patrick Mahomes.

He has beaten league mvp

Lamar

Roethlisberger 

Cousins 

Allen

Tannehill 

Afc championship Burrows 

Jimmy G is 3-1 against Rodgers, including 2-0 in the playoffs. Doesn't really mean a whole lot. 

3 wins against Stafford. 

Won against Burrow. 

Won against Cousins a couple of times. 

Kyler Murray

Drew Brees

Russell Wilson

Matt Ryan

Dak

Doesn't mean a thing. He's not better than any of those guys. 

This is the NFL playing poker because teams know Haslem has impacted there profit so there impacting him to the tune of 18,000,000.

For sure. Of course that doesn't mean that teams are super interested in him either. But yes, they are going to try and screw Cleveland over for sure. 

And Roethlisberger. 

Rodgers didn't play for 3 years....that doesn't seem like a great achievement by Baker?  Brady didn't play his first year and and he and Big Ben started their careers about 20 years ago in a bit of a different era. 

Baker has less passing yards and the same amount of total touchdowns as Jameis Winston despite playing more games over their first 4 years. Derek Carr had more total touchdowns, more passing yards and fewer interceptions. Pretty arbitrary dynamics without a whole lot of meaning in the greater scheme of things. 

The guy who chose Tim Tebow as his starting QB and another guy I'm not sure has ever had any say in evaluating talent? 

• Like 4

He probably thought that when the Watson trade went down

“I’m not gonna be in Cleveland but it’s all good at least 5 teams are gonna be bidding For my services and I’m gonna walk into a another starting job”

I think he’s honestly been humbled