DC Movie Universe

devils1854

4 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Let's not kid ourselves, we both liked BvS when it first came out.  It felt like it was good, and it was only after thinking about it did it turn out to be crap. 

I still kind of like BvS for certain parts, but it was a convoluted mess of a movie and didnt do great at the box office.  Snyder should've been ousted when that failed.  I liked Man of Steel as well, but neither movie was particularly well received.  Snyders vision was never a good one.  WB should have realized that.

• Like 1

I'm still amazed at how consistently inconsistent WB is with D.C films.  

Justice League underperforms so hard and is such a mess it will be lauded about for years. 

Aquaman becomes D.C's highest grossing film ever only for a sequel to come out (4?) years later. 

Shazam,  is the worst performing film since Green Lantern even though it was actually pretty good. 

Then next up is Joker the weird movie no one asked for but is probably going to be the best film if only by default for having no shared universe to **** it over. Could do 300-800 million and I don't think anyone would be surprise.

2 hours ago, SwoleXmad said:

Aquaman becomes D.C's highest grossing film ever only for a sequel to come out (4?) years later. 

I'm really surprised they didn't fast track this, especially after Disney announced the next Star Wars is coming out the same day in 2022.

2 hours ago, SwoleXmad said:

Then next up is Joker the weird movie no one asked for but is probably going to be the best film if only by default for having no shared universe to **** it over. Could do 300-800 million and I don't think anyone would be surprise.

The Joker is not going to make anywhere near 300 million dollars.  It's more indie drama than superhero/comic book movie, and I will be surprised if it makes 100 million domestically.  Gemini Man releases the weekend after Joker and then Zombieland 2 and Maleficent sequel the weekend after that.  By its third week it will be below 10 million in box office return. 

It would need like 60 million its opening weekend to break 100 million, and that would be third all-time for an October release. 

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

The Joker is not going to make anywhere near 300 million dollars.  It's more indie drama than superhero/comic book movie, and I will be surprised if it makes 100 million domestically.  Gemini Man releases the weekend after Joker and then Zombieland 2 and Maleficent sequel the weekend after that.  By its third week it will be below 10 million in box office return. 

It would need like 60 million its opening weekend to break 100 million, and that would be third all-time for an October release. 

The Nun last year is close to what you are predicting time wise. Did a $51 million opening in September last year to gross $117 million. 

Ralph Breaks the Internet did a $56 mill opening in November to get to $221 million. Bohemian Rhapsody was similar. 

If it gets to a $60 mil opening, it should pull in at least $125+. But I agree with you, if it's not a great movie, it won't hit $300. 

Just now, MikeT14 said:

The Nun last year is close to what you are predicting time wise. Did a $51 million opening in September last year to gross $117 million. 

Ralph Breaks the Internet did a $56 mill opening in November to get to $221 million. Bohemian Rhapsody was similar. 

If it gets to a $60 mil opening, it should pull in at least $125+. But I agree with you, if it's not a great movie, it won't hit $300. 

The Nun and Ralph don't fit.  They're a horror movie attached to a connected universe and a kids animated film.  Rhapsody is an okay comparison.  If Joker can tap into the adoration of the character like Rhapsody tapped into Queen nostalgia, it has a chance, but a lot of people are put off by DC, and it won't have the action spectacle to attract casual fans.  Like I said, it's more a dark indie tragedy type movie than the type to draw in crowds. 

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

The Nun and Ralph don't fit.  They're a horror movie attached to a connected universe and a kids animated film.  Rhapsody is an okay comparison.  If Joker can tap into the adoration of the character like Rhapsody tapped into Queen nostalgia, it has a chance, but a lot of people are put off by DC, and it won't have the action spectacle to attract casual fans.  Like I said, it's more a dark indie tragedy type movie than the type to draw in crowds. 

I'm just saying I looked up movies that hit a $50+ opening weekend, and all of them grossed over $117 million domestically. The Nun being the smallest. 

1 minute ago, MikeT14 said:

I'm just saying I looked up movies that hit a $50+ opening weekend, and all of them grossed over $117 million domestically. The Nun being the smallest. 

Yeah, it's essentially impossible to open at $50 million and not hit $100 million for the total run.

Just now, MikeT14 said:

Ah.  Well I think Joker will have a serious second week slump is what I'm saying.  Gemini Man is going to take all of Joker's second week business, and then Zombieland 2 and Maleficent will take even more.  I don't think it hits 20 million in its second weekend. 

49 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Ah.  Well I think Joker will have a serious second week slump is what I'm saying.  Gemini Man is going to take all of Joker's second week business, and then Zombieland 2 and Maleficent will take even more.  I don't think it hits 20 million in its second weekend. 

I'm not convinced the bolded is going to do that well. We'll see. Maleficent will hurt, but should be different crowds too.

5 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I'm not convinced the bolded is going to do that well. We'll see. Maleficent will hurt, but should be different crowds too.

Yea, if Joker is good, (even with a modest opening weekend) and gets good word of mouth, it could really tank Gemini Man's opening weekend. The masses seems to be luke warm on Joker right now, mostly because no one has any idea what to expect. But if it comes out op that Friday/Satuday with good buzz, you could see a very small drop into its 2nd weekend because many may take a wait and see approach.

Zombieland 2 would be the first threat if Joker is any good

3 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Zombieland 2 would be the first threat if Joker is any good

Do enough people care about this? I know it has a cult following, but that doesn't always translate into success immediately. First one did a good $75 mil against its budget, but only a solid $25 mil opener. Not enough to really kill any other movies. 

47 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Do enough people care about this? I know it has a cult following, but that doesn't always translate into success immediately. First one did a good $75 mil against its budget, but only a solid $25 mil opener. Not enough to really kill any other movies. 

But it is a known franchise now, and is likely the same demo that would be going to see Joker, or potentially the repeat viewing of it.