DC Movie Universe

devils1854

Didnt see a thread and this doesnt belong in the Justice League thread. 

http://collider.com/suicide-squad-2-dwayne-johnson-black-adam/

According to the report, two separate project insiders have confirmed that “the current plan for the sequel is for the members of Suicide Squad to be tasked with tracking down a weapon of mass destruction. That weapon? Black Adam himself.” That… sounds pretty on brand for the Suicide Squad, DC’s team of expendable good guys for hire.

The Wrap’s report also points to a quote from Johnson back in May, when he told Fandango, “We have a really cool surprise for Black Adam that I can’t reveal, in terms of where we will see Black Adam being introduced.” That certainly seems to add up, and it makes sense from the studio’s point of view to introduce an actor of Johnson’s popularity in a film that’s all but guaranteed to be a box office sensation, especially if he’s intended to become a major player in the future of the DCEU. And let’s be real, it’s The Rock, so he’s intended to become a major player.

Are any of the "villains" in SS2 going to be in any other movie before SS2?  Because having a single team up movie, let alone multiple team up movies, before any of these characters are fleshed out at all doesn't work, as evidenced by SS1.  They tried to flesh out Deadshot, Harley Quinn, and Flagg and the result was rushed backstories for all 3 that really didn't make you care about any of them other than what a comic book fan may have already known.  I've said it a hundred times before and i'll say it a 100 times again after this, they should have had a litany of solo hero movies using these characters as primary, secondary, or even tertiary villains in those movies and then had a team up in Suicide Squad.  I get them "not wanting to copy Marvel" or "catch up to Marvel", but they have seriously screwed the pooch with their impatience.

4 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Are any of the "villains" in SS2 going to be in any other movie before SS2?  Because having a single team up movie, let alone multiple team up movies, before any of these characters are fleshed out at all doesn't work, as evidenced by SS1.  They tried to flesh out Deadshot, Harley Quinn, and Flagg and the result was rushed backstories for all 3 that really didn't make you care about any of them other than what a comic book fan may have already known.  I've said it a hundred times before and i'll say it a 100 times again after this, they should have had a litany of solo hero movies using these characters as primary, secondary, or even tertiary villains in those movies and then had a team up in Suicide Squad.  I get them "not wanting to copy Marvel" or "catch up to Marvel", but they have seriously screwed the pooch with their impatience.

There were plenty of Characters in SS that were not fleshed out at all (Katana) But I feel like we didnt need a whole lot more than we got for some of them. Especially to keep us interested enough for an ensemble film. Is it a cop out to do some montages as backgrounds? Yea, but they did it. And from those i feel like Harley & Deadshot were both set up just fine. And regardless to what she became, the intro to Enchantress was pretty good. And even Diablo was decent enough. Flagg felt hallow,  that had to do with more than just his intro, but Amanda Waller was great the entire time. Slipknot was bad, and Killer Croc left alot to be desired, But did I really need alot more information on Boomerang?

If they pick up from Joker breaking out Harley, and they get captured immediately right outside of Belle Reve, and thrown right back into a cell. I think it could help ret-con alot of wrongs they have done already. Make Joker part of this squad (have him and Harley escape at the end or something if you want them out for their other films) Throw them in a cell next to Deadshot, and Boomerang and go with some Usual Suspects type of dialog. Toss in another villain that you want to introduce, and have Waller send them out on the Heist to grab this "Weapon".

These should have been obvious heist films, keep the "powers" to a minimum on the Squad, and make it about the interactions of the team. If they go with the love triangle between Joker/Harley/Deadshot would be a good starting place (with Harley coming out on top herself in the end)

These shouldn't be that hard. But the fact that the Squad was 8 members, plus Flagg leading them (along with Eastwood's character) Plus Waller in charge of him, PLUS Joker trying to intervene . . . 

• Like 1

Im not going to look for the article, but I think they are going to feature Deadshot, Boomerang, and Katana in the next movie. The dude that played Diablo wants to come back.

I think they were talking about bringing in Killer Frost(in place of Harley), Scarecrow, and maybe having Bane as the main villain. 

• 3 weeks later...

So what does D.C do from here? 

Man Of Steel, BVS, Suicide Squad, all had issues (mostly suicide squad because oh god that editing the rest were solid films with narrative issues) 

Wonder Woman which was a pretty good film aside from the ending and the fact they killed off all the Greek Gods.  I'd assume this will be the base template for all the movies going forward giving it's the "most successful" 

Justice League which is a fun movie with a bad villain and got cut to pieces and the documentary about it will be fascinating to watch in a few years.

We're getting Aquaman in 2018, Wonderwoman in 2019 most likely and flashpoint which will try to retcon all the things probably. I'mm mention Shazam since that has an actual cast and director attached to it.

With like 20 billion movies in varies degrees of development....Now with Justice League out and more or less proving to be a massive disappointment two things will happen.

D.C will actually take their time and make good films now that they found out what works and what their fans want and will gradually win back their fans or...

They'll continue to churn out bad to medicore movies until the box office returns make it impossible for them to continue to make them and they'll have to scrap it all and focus on singular installments going forward.

I'd put my money on the second but hope for the first.

6 hours ago, DingoLadd said:

So what does D.C do from here? 

Man Of Steel, BVS, Suicide Squad, all had issues (mostly suicide squad because oh god that editing the rest were solid films with narrative issues) 

Wonder Woman which was a pretty good film aside from the ending and the fact they killed off all the Greek Gods.  I'd assume this will be the base template for all the movies going forward giving it's the "most successful" 

Justice League which is a fun movie with a bad villain and got cut to pieces and the documentary about it will be fascinating to watch in a few years.

We're getting Aquaman in 2018, Wonderwoman in 2019 most likely and flashpoint which will try to retcon all the things probably. I'mm mention Shazam since that has an actual cast and director attached to it.

With like 20 billion movies in varies degrees of development....Now with Justice League out and more or less proving to be a massive disappointment two things will happen.

D.C will actually take their time and make good films now that they found out what works and what their fans want and will gradually win back their fans or...

They'll continue to churn out bad to medicore movies until the box office returns make it impossible for them to continue to make them and they'll have to scrap it all and focus on singular installments going forward.

I'd put my money on the second but hope for the first.

Im optimistic with DC just because of the directors they have lined up. Wan for Aquaman, Reeves for The Batman, and Zemekis/Vaughn for The Flash. 

As long as WB lets the directors do their own thing, the movies should be pretty good. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, devils1854 said:

As long as WB lets the directors do their own thing, the movies should be pretty good. 

I disagree with this 100%.  I'd rather have no-name directors with an established creative showrunner so to speak.  All you get from different directors is different styles, and when you're making a shared universe, having a dozen different styles doesn't lend itself to a cohesive universe.

Say what you want about Marvel, but all of their movies fit together stylistically and tonally.  People will say that they lack originality, but that's fine with a connected universe.  You don't want a Suicide Squad type movie in the same universe as a Batman Begins movie.  There will be no cohesion with this many different directors, and that's a bad thing. 

Anyway, I'm surprised Mangiliano (whatever on the spelling) was allowed to post that image.  If I were WB, I'd halt every movie in production at this point and fast track Flashpoint.  How many failures financially will it take for them to start fresh? 

What they're doing is the equivalent of an NFL team relying exclusively on free agency year after year and basically paying millions of dollars for players to pack it in. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I disagree with this 100%.  I'd rather have no-name directors with an established creative showrunner so to speak.  All you get from different directors is different styles, and when you're making a shared universe, having a dozen different styles doesn't lend itself to a cohesive universe.

Say what you want about Marvel, but all of their movies fit together stylistically and tonally.  People will say that they lack originality, but that's fine with a connected universe.  You don't want a Suicide Squad type movie in the same universe as a Batman Begins movie.  There will be no cohesion with this many different directors, and that's a bad thing. 

Anyway, I'm surprised Mangiliano (whatever on the spelling) was allowed to post that image.  If I were WB, I'd halt every movie in production at this point and fast track Flashpoint.  How many failures financially will it take for them to start fresh? 

What they're doing is the equivalent of an NFL team relying exclusively on free agency year after year and basically paying millions of dollars for players to pack it in. 

Disagree completely. Comics are fun because most of them feel different from each other. You can make that work in movies too. They shouldn't feel the same at all. You just have to actually make good movies. Having excellent directors with a ton of creative power is great for DC/WB because when they meddle they screw up.

• Like 1

Just now, Bullet Club said:

Disagree completely. Comics are fun because most of them feel different from each other. You can make that work in movies too. They shouldn't feel the same at all. You just have to actually make good movies. Having excellent directors with a ton of creative power is great for DC/WB because when they meddle they screw up.

We're not gonna convince each other either way, which is fine, but I have one more point I'd like to add.  That's true for comic movies that aren't connected.  Hellboy shouldn't be the same style as Captain America, for example.

Suicide Squad should not be in the same universe as what Batman should be.  At least not in the style Suicide Squad was.  Shazam I imagine is going to play like Jumanji and have that kind of tonality.  That shouldn't exist in the same universe as Batman. 

Ant-Man, for example, fits in perfectly with the Marvel universe even though that movie is in a lot of ways an action comedy because there was action and comedy in the Marvel universe. 

Now you've got Reeves directing a Batman movie that is SURELY going to want to achieve a dark, Gothic, film noire style tone.  I just can't help but associate that with a movie like Justice League, which literally has people saying "Booyah," and Aquaman being a surfer bro. 

AT THE VERY LEAST, I think it is INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT for there to be one director per superhero if they're going to go this route.  I don't want to see Reeves direct the first Batman and then have some other director with a comedic approach do the second one.  If this Universe doesn't go the way I think it should (soft reboot Flashpoint), I at the very least want to be able to enjoy the Batman trilogy and disassociate it from the rest of the universe. 

2 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

We're not gonna convince each other either way, which is fine, but I have one more point I'd like to add.  That's true for comic movies that aren't connected.  Hellboy shouldn't be the same style as Captain America, for example.

Suicide Squad should not be in the same universe as what Batman should be.  At least not in the style Suicide Squad was.  Shazam I imagine is going to play like Jumanji and have that kind of tonality.  That shouldn't exist in the same universe as Batman. 

Ant-Man, for example, fits in perfectly with the Marvel universe even though that movie is in a lot of ways an action comedy because there was action and comedy in the Marvel universe. 

Now you've got Reeves directing a Batman movie that is SURELY going to want to achieve a dark, Gothic, film noire style tone.  I just can't help but associate that with a movie like Justice League, which literally has people saying "Booyah," and Aquaman being a surfer bro. 

AT THE VERY LEAST, I think it is INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT for there to be one director per superhero if they're going to go this route.  I don't want to see Reeves direct the first Batman and then have some other director with a comedic approach do the second one.  If this Universe doesn't go the way I think it should (soft reboot Flashpoint), I at the very least want to be able to enjoy the Batman trilogy and disassociate it from the rest of the universe. 

Of course a story in Gotham would be different tonally than a story in Metropolis or Central City. It's always been that way and it should be that way. Even in Justice League Gotham felt completely different than Metropolis. Strongly agree with the bold though.