2022 Mock Draft Thread

GW21

29 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'll take a guy on day three for sure (assuming we haven't dropped picks via trade ups, which is a big if) . If Kyren Williams falls, he's the perfect third down back that we could use. 

I'd also look at Tyler Badie, Ty Chandler and Pierre Strong. 

I meant that Trey Sermon should be used more and not admitting you’re right on this lol. I’m cool with taking a RB.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Forge said:

I'll take a guy on day three for sure (assuming we haven't dropped picks via trade ups, which is a big if) . If Kyren Williams falls, he's the perfect third down back that we could use. 

I'd also look at Tyler Badie, Ty Chandler and Pierre Strong. 

I agree totally on Kyren Williams. He brings exactly what the RB room doesn’t have. We have an inside zone/gap guy in Sermon and the OZ Drano in Mitchell. We really don’t have a guy who can be a weapon catching passes. I also adore Pierre Strong if only because he’s a near Elijah Mitchell clone and the OZ snaps are the most frequent in the offense. Both have really pure OZ vision. Same really good burst through the hole. Both ran a 4.3 something in the combine, but seemed to lack that 6th gear and 20+mph speed at the top end that houses instead of makes a 20 and 30 yard gain. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JIllg said:

I agree totally on Kyren Williams. He brings exactly what the RB room doesn’t have. We have an inside zone/gap guy in Sermon and the OZ Drano in Mitchell. We really don’t have a guy who can be a weapon catching passes. I also adore Pierre Strong if only because he’s a near Elijah Mitchell clone and the OZ snaps are the most frequent in the offense. Both have really pure OZ vision. Same really good burst through the hole. Both ran a 4.3 something in the combine, but seemed to lack that 6th gear and 20+mph speed at the top end that houses instead of makes a 20 and 30 yard gain. 

I also like Pierre Strong and notice he’s someone we could get later in the draft. Wonder if they are trying to find a replacement for Mostert or a bell-cow. 

Man, I'm working on the forum wide mock and I took Rosenthal in the 4th rather than a safety and now there isn't a single safety left that I consider a viable option to really draft lol. I was banking on Bell being there in the 5th. 

3 hours ago, Forge said:

Man, I'm working on the forum wide mock and I took Rosenthal in the 4th rather than a safety and now there isn't a single safety left that I consider a viable option to really draft lol. I was banking on Bell being there in the 5th. 

I was going to take Percy Butler at 172 and he went 171 LOL 

I ended up just grabbing Tycen Anderson to bet on traits. Like Butler, if nothing else he can contribute on special teams as both were core ST guys without a high likelihood of making any sort of immediate impact to the defense. 

Looking like I'm rolling with Moore and Ward as our safeties this year lol 

Just did a weird one where I ended up with all of the offensive linemen lol

#61 - Drake Jackson - I've never picked him before and honestly, when you look at the picks at #61, I feel like the best place for talent is almost always the edge, so it seems like I'm drafting there quite a bit. There's never a safety there I want to draft, I figure i can get the offensive linemen later. There's seldom receivers there I'd really push for either. 

#93 - Cole Strange. I saw him there, figured okay, this one makes sense. He can play center, play guard. Lets just get that out of they way. 

#105 - Zyon McCollum. Lots of mocks lately where I'm taking him at 105. He's probably not ready to help out defensively, but he's a depth corner to start and should be a really good gunner on special teams, which will continue to help us improve that unit. I think that there's a good chance that Woolen goes in round 2...so if there's a super athletic and toolsy guy you want to develop, just wait a round and get McCollum who is an absolute freak. 

#134 - Zach Tom. I've taken him before several times. Felt a little weird to double up with him and Strange, but I figure Strange could in theory fight for guard or center and Tom could basically fight for any spot we want. I saw no harm in this, so I took him. Great fit. 

#172 - Max Mitchell, OT - Well, now it just got weird. This is just felt like waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too good of a value to pass up on as I feel like he's likely to be gone in the first 120 picks. We definitely need a tackle to start working on behind McG, and he can play either side. My plan wasn't to go into the mock takign 3 offensive linemen, but can't say I hate it with these three specifically. 

#184 - Verone McKinley, S - He's been one of my favorite safeties to take if I miss out on someone at the top, but I don't know that his role is going to be a traditional a safety. I see him very much in an Elijah Molden spot. But 11 INTs in 3 years I'm just not going to ignore. Dude knows where the football is going and I think that kind of nose for the football typically translates. So despite some limitations, I think he could be a guy that plays some slot, some intermediate zones, etc. 

#220 - Kevin Austin, WR - Meh. I mentioned it before, but I greatly dislike the bottom of the draftable receivers in this draft class. Not like last year where there were a bunch of slot guys I really thought would be solid. Austin's college career was pretty much a nightmare before this year, and I think this is going to be another Myles Boykin, but at this juncture, there's not much out there. I would have taken a running back, but at this point any running back I had any passing interest in was already gone. Other receivers I would have taken over him like Melton / Gray were also gone. 

#221 - Jalyn Armour Davis, CB - I pick him a lot. If he's there on day three, he should be a priority target, even if we are double dipping. 

(also, don't know why, but for some reason their draft ended at pick like 255, os I didn't get a chance to make 262) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Forge said:

Just did a weird one where I ended up with all of the offensive linemen lol

#61 - Drake Jackson - I've never picked him before and honestly, when you look at the picks at #61, I feel like the best place for talent is almost always the edge, so it seems like I'm drafting there quite a bit. There's never a safety there I want to draft, I figure i can get the offensive linemen later. There's seldom receivers there I'd really push for either. 

#93 - Cole Strange. I saw him there, figured okay, this one makes sense. He can play center, play guard. Lets just get that out of they way. 

#105 - Zyon McCollum. Lots of mocks lately where I'm taking him at 105. He's probably not ready to help out defensively, but he's a depth corner to start and should be a really good gunner on special teams, which will continue to help us improve that unit. I think that there's a good chance that Woolen goes in round 2...so if there's a super athletic and toolsy guy you want to develop, just wait a round and get McCollum who is an absolute freak. 

#134 - Zach Tom. I've taken him before several times. Felt a little weird to double up with him and Strange, but I figure Strange could in theory fight for guard or center and Tom could basically fight for any spot we want. I saw no harm in this, so I took him. Great fit. 

#172 - Max Mitchell, OT - Well, now it just got weird. This is just felt like waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too good of a value to pass up on as I feel like he's likely to be gone in the first 120 picks. We definitely need a tackle to start working on behind McG, and he can play either side. My plan wasn't to go into the mock takign 3 offensive linemen, but can't say I hate it with these three specifically. 

#184 - Verone McKinley, S - He's been one of my favorite safeties to take if I miss out on someone at the top, but I don't know that his role is going to be a traditional a safety. I see him very much in an Elijah Molden spot. But 11 INTs in 3 years I'm just not going to ignore. Dude knows where the football is going and I think that kind of nose for the football typically translates. So despite some limitations, I think he could be a guy that plays some slot, some intermediate zones, etc. 

#220 - Kevin Austin, WR - Meh. I mentioned it before, but I greatly dislike the bottom of the draftable receivers in this draft class. Not like last year where there were a bunch of slot guys I really thought would be solid. Austin's college career was pretty much a nightmare before this year, and I think this is going to be another Myles Boykin, but at this juncture, there's not much out there. I would have taken a running back, but at this point any running back I had any passing interest in was already gone. Other receivers I would have taken over him like Melton / Gray were also gone. 

#221 - Jalyn Armour Davis, CB - I pick him a lot. If he's there on day three, he should be a priority target, even if we are double dipping. 

(also, don't know why, but for some reason their draft ended at pick like 255, os I didn't get a chance to make 262) 

I like it! Definitely boosted up our oline! I like the measurable of McCollum, he’s a freak like u mentioned. I’ve heard good things about McKinley on a couple of podcasts and heard he’s a ballhawk or at least around the ball, so I’ll take it. I don’t know anything about Kevin Austin and would have preferred a running back at some point, but I like what you covered especially with shoring up our oline and getting a rookie end, so we know he’s not going anywhere for a couple of years (besides the typical 1 yr deal de). 

• Like 1

61. San Francisco 49ers

McShay's pick: Nick Cross, S, Maryland

The Niners could look at someone like UTSA cornerback Tariq Woolen, but the value is much better on Cross here when it comes to the secondary. Jimmie Ward is entering the final year of his deal, and Cross has size, range and versatility.

93. San Francisco 49ers

McShay's pick: Zyon McCollum, CB, Sam Houston State

Time to check off the other defensive back need for San Francisco, after getting Cross at safety earlier. McCollum has speed, size and ball skills, and I think he could become a reliable No. 2 cornerback early on in his career.

105. San Francisco 49ers*

McShay's pick: David Bell, WR, Purdue

Bell wasn't super impressive at the combine (4.65-second 40-yard dash), but he's a crafty route runner who would bring versatility to an offense likely undergoing a change under center.

Just now, NcFinest9erFan said:

61. San Francisco 49ers

The Niners could look at someone like UTSA cornerback Tariq Woolen, but the value is much better on Cross here when it comes to the secondary. Jimmie Ward is entering the final year of his deal, and Cross has size, range and versatility.

93. San Francisco 49ers

Time to check off the other defensive back need for San Francisco, after getting Cross at safety earlier. McCollum has speed, size and ball skills, and I think he could become a reliable No. 2 cornerback early on in his career.

Bell wasn't super impressive at the combine (4.65-second 40-yard dash), but he's a crafty route runner who would bring versatility to an offense likely undergoing a change under center.

ESPN's latest mock from this morning.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

61. San Francisco 49ers

93. San Francisco 49ers

I'm seeing a lot of David Bell and Nick Cross to the 49ers talk starting. Just read it with Lombardi.

https://theathletic.com/3256873/2022/04/19/49ers-draft-prospects/

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

I'm seeing a lot of David Bell and Nick Cross to the 49ers talk starting. Just read it with Lombardi.

https://theathletic.com/3256873/2022/04/19/49ers-draft-prospects/

Don't want anything to do with Bell. I get that people like that he's a "football player", but I don't know what that guy is going to do at the next level. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Can't find a way to down vote posts....

Do not care for that draft. 

Agreed as usual media pundits don't understand team needs. Safety is a need and at 61 is a real option but I don't expect the 49ers to draft a corner that early and I will be surprised if they went WR before the 4th round. 

Edited by 49erurtaza