Eagles GM Mock War Room- 7.259 Zonovan Knight RB NCSU

EaglesPeteC

48 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

Azaria is a better prospect at his position (which the Eagles happen to need) than any other player available was at his position (IMO) It's as simple as that. 

Then why not draft him in the 1st, if it’s that simple? He’s far and away the better prospect at his position than any DE or WR were gonna get at 15. 

5 hours ago, Jroc04 said:

Jesus Christ. 

Did he just say he’s waiting for a RB cause “RBs are easy to find” and then took a P 5th round? 

I will continue the mockery until Araiza is inevitably taken in the 4th IRL this year and becomes a demigod, to spite me. 

If Ray Guy can help his team win a SB with 5 punts that pinned Washington inside their 20 and make the HOF as a punter and have the best punter award named after him can go in the 1st round back in 1973, then I don't see why Matt Araiza who has the biggest leg of a punter to come out of the draft in my time watching can't go in the 5th round and be a great pick.

I'm pretty sure we have a pick left in the 7th and I think there is a RB people might not be thinking about who could slip farther than he should that we can take, but its a bit of a dice roll. Strong and Ford definitely won't be on the board and if that's who you wanted like @Danger, then you're **** out of luck lol.

12 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

Because he’s not better than those players 

Apparently BPA doesn't apply for Araiza because there's no possible way a Punter of all people might be ranked higher then the 30th/40th ranked WR, CB, RB. 👌

4 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

If Ray Guy can help his team win a SB with 5 punts that pinned Washington inside their 20 and make the HOF as a punter and have the best punter award named after him can go in the 1st round back in 1973, then I don't see why Matt Araiza who has the biggest leg of a punter to come out of the draft in my time watching can't go in the 5th round and be a great pick.

👏👏👏🍺

Edited by Nabbs4u

2 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Nothing like using the greatest individual at his craft of all time as your point of reference, post career. And even so, a 1st is ludicrous. I hope we are all smart enough to realize this. 

I think everyone knows my thoughts on this so I’m not going to keep going. You guys can draft your punter anywhere you want. I think the NFL agrees with my opinion on the matter though. In most cases, a punter is not worth a draft pick. Anything above a 5th is malpractice. And if they prove to be worth the pick, there’s 10 guys comparable that you can find on the street for free. 

2 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Apparently BPA doesn't apply for Araiza because there's no possible way a Punter of all people might be ranked higher then the 30th/40th ranked WR, CB, RB. 👌

👏👏👏🍺

I feel like whenever I respond to you, you just skim the post, say something smart assed and use emojis. But that somehow is supposed to prove a point? 

What I’ve repeatedly said, is the kid could be the best prospect at punter the league has ever seen. Doesn’t mean he pans out, doesn’t mean he is THAT much better than a guy I can get off the scrap heap, and doesn’t make up for the prospect I missed out on that could have potentially had more impact, even in a reserve role. I referenced Pollard and Foles. Both guys in the 4th or so I think. You’re telling me those guys, varying degrees in success and accolades have had the same or less impact than a punter? There’s positional value here people keep just sweeping under the rug. Like, comparably what kind of impact does the best punter in the league have against a slot WR? I would say a good slot WR is still head and shoulders above the impact of a punter. And I don’t think it’s close. And a good 2nd string RB, the same. Like, where would you draft them? Would you draft a punter over them? I just don’t understand it. Pollard or a Hunter Renfro? All day over a punter that even may end up the best at his position. 

15 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

Nothing like using the greatest individual at his craft of all time as your point of reference, post career. And even so, a 1st is ludicrous. I hope we are all smart enough to realize this. 

Yeah, but @EaglesPeteC spent a 5th round pick and not even his first 5th round pick.

I'd never suggest taking a punter on day 1 or even day 2, but I wouldn't mind a punter in the 5th with the ability to flip the field from basically anywhere on the field. Not many punters in NFL history have that type of power.

Edited by TheRealMcCoy

Also FWIW Dane Brugler has a 3rd-4th round grade on Matt Araiza. I think 5th round is fair.

His other draftable punters are both 5th round grades which is more common for top punters and those two guys are Jordan Stout (Penn State) and Jake Camarda (Georgia).

We did check out Stout, so I think its safe to say there is a decent chance we take a punter somewhere on day 3. Maybe its not Araiza, but one of those guys a little later on.

Edited by TheRealMcCoy

30 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Yeah, but @EaglesPeteC spent a 5th round pick and not even his first 5th round pick.

I'd never suggest taking a punter on day 1 or even day 2, but I wouldn't mind a punter in the 5th with the ability to flip the field from basically anywhere on the field. Not many punters in NFL history have that type of power.

We do understand the flaw in the logic that we are just assuming this dude transitions perfectly? 

And again, we are assuming he’d still be well above the best the league has seen or has currently. 

Historically, even if this dude is the best, I can’t see him being THAT much better than the guys currently. And even if he is, which we are assuming so much already, is he worth a pick, any pick, that we are valuing his position over a handful of guys that can make more of an impact throughout their careers, potentially? I just don’t see it, even if all that you guys are assuming turns out true. Basically, the BEST case scenario is still not worth it for me. But that’s just me. And maybe it’s extreme. But I’m sure it’s closer to rational GM thinking than the alternative. 

1 hour ago, Jroc04 said:

We do understand the flaw in the logic that we are just assuming this dude transitions perfectly? 

And again, we are assuming he’d still be well above the best the league has seen or has currently. 

Historically, even if this dude is the best, I can’t see him being THAT much better than the guys currently. And even if he is, which we are assuming so much already, is he worth a pick, any pick, that we are valuing his position over a handful of guys that can make more of an impact throughout their careers, potentially? I just don’t see it, even if all that you guys are assuming turns out true. Basically, the BEST case scenario is still not worth it for me. But that’s just me. And maybe it’s extreme. But I’m sure it’s closer to rational GM thinking than the alternative. 

This entire argument can be applied to pretty much anyone who you are drafting in the 5th round. 

show me on the doll where the punter hurt you. 

You guys just don't seem to understand the true value of 5th round picks. One time we drafted Trent Cole in the 5th round. Trent Cole went to the pro bowl. That means 5th round picks have the same value as pro bowlers. What's that? We haven't nailed a 5th round pick since Trent Cole? Doesn't matter. The 58th best punter is barely distinguishable from the best punter. Or so I've heard.

Edited by Jeezla

2 hours ago, Jroc04 said:

Never said he transitions perfectly. His kicking power is his kicking power. That isn't changing when he gets to the league. I don't know how good he is at angling his punts like for coffin corners, but yeah. That could be an area he might need improvement.

2 hours ago, Jroc04 said:

He can kick further than everyone or close to everyone in the league right now, so there is reason for optimism there.

26 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

The 58th best punter is barely distinguishable from the best punter. Or so I've heard.

haha

27 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

What's that? We haven't nailed a 5th round pick since Trent Cole? Doesn't matter.

Put some respect on Kenny's name....

Nah, but seriously our biggest hits in the 5th in the past 25 years are probably Dennis Kelly, Dion Lewis, Big V,  Wendell Smallwood, Brent Celek, AJ Feeley (got a 2nd round pick for him), and Ike Reese. Dion and Dennis didn't do a lot for the Eagles, but they contributed for other teams a decent bit, so I consider those hits.

4 hours ago, Jroc04 said:

I think everyone knows my thoughts on this so I’m not going to keep going. You guys can draft your punter anywhere you want. I think the NFL agrees with my opinion on the matter though. In most cases, a punter is not worth a draft pick. Anything above a 5th is malpractice. And if they prove to be worth the pick, there’s 10 guys comparable that you can find on the street for free. 

But that's the problem with your argument,  there hasn't been a Punter to ever come out of College like this since Guy. So comparing him to the rest of the last 40 years is ludicrous.  That's the difference. 

You have so called generational  QB, RB, WR, DE, OT come out every one in a blue moon. Matt Araiza is the Punter version of that. Or at the very minimum is being touted by the experts as that. There's a difference