Eagles GM Mock War Room- 7.259 Zonovan Knight RB NCSU

EaglesPeteC

7 hours ago, Danger said:

I like Darian Beavers the most of those guys listed there.

I'm just curious... where are you playing him?

Cause I think he's a SAM in a 4-3 or ILB in a 3-4. We brought in Reddick for the SAM backer role and upgraded from Taylor with White at WLB (no offense Davion.. still wanna see you get better). What we really need now is a more athletic MIKE with good instincts. TJ has the instincts, but not the athleticism. Still think he's a solid LB, but I would like to upgrade there if we can, but at this point in the draft its not really possible. 

Edited by TheRealMcCoy

When I was looking at the receivers. I like Calvin Austin and Khalil Shakir as smaller receivers, but I'd like some more size if possible.

That brings me to Justyn Ross. Played all the receiver positions at Clemson and had a great freshman campaign. Obviously the stinger/neck/spine injury that he had to have surgery on in 2020 is a question mark and teams gotta look at his medicals, but Ross seemed confident that his doctor thinks he's good to go. 

If the medicals do check out and he does get taken late 3rd-mid 4th he could end up being a pretty big steal.

Just read this right now and he went through a lot to get back on the football field again. 

You saw the flashes somewhat of what we saw his first 2 years, but he wasn't completely there this year. He hadn't played since the 2019 football season and got COVID right before the season and it hit him pretty hard and then he got a stress fracture in his foot which he decided not to get surgery on, because playing was so important to him, so there was no way he was gonna be back to his full self last year. Maybe 2 years removed from the neck injury and in better football shape now we'll see him get back to that previous level. It's not like a neck/spine injury affected his athleticism. If he gets right he could definitely end up being a top 10 receiver from this class. That is obviously not a sure thing, but late day 2 going into day 3 is probably the appropriate time to take that shot. I think the Jags in real life could be strong candidates to take him to pair with Lawrence and Etienne at the top of the 4th round.

Here are some quotes from the article that interested me:

IT TOOK MONTHS before Ross gained final clearance from Clemson to play. But the joy he felt was replaced with agony in short order. The day he was set to begin practice last August, Ross found out he tested positive for COVID-19. The virus hit him particularly hard, as Ross had trouble breathing and lost 15 pounds.

Though Ross was not in his best physical shape when he returned to practice, he did everything he could to prepare for the season opener against Georgia, then only weeks away.

Soon enough, there was another setback. Ross says he started feeling pain in his left foot and went to the trainers. X-Rays showed a stress fracture.

Ross elected not to have surgery, opting to play through the pain. The 2021 season meant too much. He had to be back on that field, even if he was not completely healthy, to show everybody he could still play.

"I felt like I had a point to prove," Ross said. "Coming off the neck injury, everybody's going to question what you're going to bring to the table. I had to prove a point and show the world, just let everybody see me on the field. I didn't say anything to anybody about the stress fracture. I kept going.'"

The offensive struggles that began in the opener continued through the season. Meanwhile, Ross' foot became so swollen, trainers would have to wrap it so tight, his foot looked mummified -- just so he could play.

Needless to say, it was not the way Ross envisioned the 2021 season going for him, or the offense.

"It was pretty frustrating just because I know the potential, and it's still not happening," Ross said. "I'm expecting to come into the season as the top receiver throughout the whole college football, and once I saw how the season was going, I knew it was not going to be that so I had to do the best that I could do and try to keep my team lifted up."

Ross gutted out every game, his pain tolerance threshold seemingly reset week after week. Improbable as it sounds, the worry went from his neck to his foot. Finally in November, after playing in 10 games, Ross decided he needed to have foot surgery and begin preparing for the draft. He finished the season with team highs in catches (46) and receiving yards (514) while adding three touchdown catches on 471 snaps.

"He played with a broken bone in his foot," Swinney said. "To me, that's all you really need to know about the kid. He just came off a yearlong rehabilitation and then plays with a crack in his foot and you would have never known it. He never complained. He just competed."

Playing with the stress fracture during this season his first season back since 2019 not only hampered him then, but for his athletic testing too since he got the surgery after the season and then had to wait till he could be cleared to run again, so not too worried about his 40 time. I think he's a bit faster than what he tested at and he has great body control, great high pointing/large catch radius (def one of the largest in this class), and he's a good route runner who could play all 3 receiver spots and Sirianni wants our receivers to be interchangeable.

It's your thing, but just some food for thought. @EaglesPeteC

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

Let me do some more research on Ross

I think Ross provides us with a guy who can play the X spot as well as slot and Z receiver and his upside is higher, but if you want to go a safer route I'm okay with that too. 

I just figured I'd bring him up since I was going through the Google Doc and his name stood out to me as someone I'd be giddy about getting. There are still some nice players on the board, but he could have the highest potential of anybody left on the board.

Edit: But, yeah I can't lie and say there isn't risk there cause there is. Here is a good article I just found from a Bills outlet on the neck injury and some research they did into that type of injury and what his outlook might look like. Their assessment was not taking a player with that risk for the Bills and that he shouldn't be selected in the 1st or 2nd round round which I agree with wholeheartedly, but end of the 3rd and definitely into day 3 is where I would start considering taking that shot.

Edited by TheRealMcCoy