QB Dwayne Haskins dead at 24

CBears019

2 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Pretty poor of Schefter to highlight his struggles in the NFL in the same tweet announcing his death.

Poor kid had his entire life ahead of him. Shame this happened

Amazingly,  Gil Brandt was even worse

(Though yes, he is 90 years old)

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Few thoughts:

1. My first thought was: "Wow, thats tragic." 

2. Second thought was: "I really hope he doesnt have kids that are now fatherless, that would make it doubly tragic"

3. Third and finally, I thought "Adam Schefter is saying something accurate, he is just saying it at a horrific time. Haskins dying so young is tragic, but it doesnt change that his career trajectory was super suspect. You just dont say that when breaking this kind of news, its a D move."

I agree with all of this.

After we give this the proper respect it deserves, there's an element of "what are the Steelers going to do at QB now to address the fact they now only have 2 QBs?"

Haskins was never believed to be the guy, he might have built into a good backup.

Yes he has had his issues in his life but he is still a human being and this is still a tragedy. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

People who like honest & direct discussions. Not just lip service. 

This just isnt the time or place for one. Also, dont chop up my quote, thats a D move. 

I didn’t “chop up” your quote, I took a direct sentence from it. 
I just don’t see how “not mentioning someone’s on-field skill level in their death announcement” is just “lip service” or having a dishonest conversation. It’s just literally not relevant at all. 

• Like 7

Just now, JiffyJag said:

I just don’t see how “not mentioning someone’s on-field skill level in their death announcement” is just “lip service” or having a dishonest conversation. It’s just literally not relevant at all. 

You sort of did chop his quote, there was a lot more context to it.

I wouldn't call it lip service either. But at the same time, I think people were trying to discuss the life AND death of Dwayne Haskins. This is actually a pretty normal practice in media. 

1 minute ago, JiffyJag said:

Perhaps you cant read full paragraphs where I said at least 3 times that this is "the wrong time". Or maybe you didnt comprehend that I was inferring "time" to "death announcement". 

I would suggest trying to read better either way. 

1 minute ago, wwhickok said:

I wouldn't call it lip service either. But at the same time, I think people were trying to discuss the life AND death of Dwayne Haskins. This is actually a pretty normal practice in media. 

Sounds more like people (or really 1 person) was trying to discuss the career and death of Dwayne Haskins. One just seems pretty trivial in the grand scheme of things. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

You sort of did chop his quote, there was a lot more context to it.

By lip service I meant in the future, post death. Not this month, or this quarter even. Right now honor the tragedy. 

What i meant: its kind of like when people who hold M Jackson on pedestal and I think "dude was freaking raping kids"

Or after Jim Brown passes I guarantee there will be many years that millions who claim he is the greatest player ever, while ignoring he sent women to the hospital on the regular.

^^^ lip service, meaning its not honest to lift people up post death. "Dont speak ill of the dead" is horsepoop. Speak honestly in life and death is all I meant^^^

Edited by Matts4313
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, JiffyJag said:

Sounds more like people (or really 1 person) was trying to discuss the career and death of Dwayne Haskins. One just seems pretty trivial in the grand scheme of things. 

Perhaps the career is trivial, but it was also a major part of his life. I have no issue with people feeling like it's the wrong time, but I also don't think it's irrelevant when talking about his life. His life and his death are not mutually exclusive conversations.

It is heartbreaking that he was fatally struck by a vehicle. His career or life mistakes doesnt make it less heartbreaking. But when discussing his life, outside of the confines of his tragic death, his career has a ton of relevance 

2 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

By lip service I meant in the future, post death. Not this month, or this quarter even. Right now honor the tragedy. 

What i meant: its kind of like when people who hold M Jackson on pedestal and I think "dude was freaking raping kids"

Or after Jim Brown passes I guarantee there will be many years that millions who claim he is the greatest player ever, while ignoring he sent women to the hospital on the regular.

^^^ lip service, meaning its not honest to lift people up post death. "Dont speak ill of the dead" is horsepoop. Speak honestly in life and death is all I meant^^^

Yeah okay I can get on board with that, that I agree with.

6 minutes ago, JiffyJag said:

You are either a super troll or illiterate. I was saying no one should be talking about his career right now, but that doesnt make Schefter inaccurate, it makes him distasteful. 

Just now, Matts4313 said:

You are either a super troll or illiterate. I was saying no one should be talking about his career right now, but that doesnt make Schefter inaccurate, it makes him distasteful. 

I was referring to Schefter, not you. 

5 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

This seems like a weird post too, not gonna lie. Ignoring the fact that your analogies involve “molesting children and beating women senseless” (when we’re talking about a guy who “just wasn’t that great at the highest level of football”) , you’re also creating a straw man that doesn’t even exist right now lol

No one is trying to make a case for Haskins being some sort of phenomenal player that was on the verge of a breakout season.

• Like 11