Expectations for 2nd year QBs

NYRaider

13 minutes ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

Had 3 dropped INT’s against the Jags.

Only one of those throws was trying to fit it. He had one where a guy was knocked on the ground then stands up and the ball hit his head by chance, otherwise it would have been a completion to the RB, then one he hit Kroft in the hands who dropped it which almost led to a INT. It wasn't like he was just throwing the ball to defenders. They would have been extremely lucky INTs. Wilson also had multiple passes dropped like usual. Which brings up the point of his only WR that game was Braxton Berrios and bum TEs, then the fact that the Jets absolutely trashed the Jaguars run defense. 

6 minutes ago, NYJets4716 said:

Only one of those throws was trying to fit it. He had one where a guy was knocked on the ground then stands up and the ball hit his head by chance, otherwise it would have been a completion to the RB, then one he hit Kroft in the hands who dropped it which almost led to a INT. It wasn't like he was just throwing the ball to defenders. They would have been extremely lucky INTs. Wilson also had multiple passes dropped like usual. Which brings up the point of his only WR that game was Braxton Berrios and bum TEs, then the fact that the Jets absolutely trashed the Jaguars run defense. 

Didn’t say they were all his fault. 

24 minutes ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

Couldn’t even grasp the whole playbook last season tbh.

The Jets threw the entire playbook onto him from the beginning. He wasn't given training wheels like most of the rookies. When he came back from injury he was much better at going with the flow of the offense and understanding reads. He was becoming very confident late in the season. He had no WRs to throw to by then. You aren't going to see 50+ yard bombs like he did vs the Titans with guys like Braxton Berrios and Keelan Cole starting. If he had a healthy group of WRs vs the Bucs, he probably would have thrown for 350+ yards 3-4 TDs. He was that locked in. But he only had Berrios and MC got injured right away.  

15 hours ago, NYJets4716 said:

I think it is a higher likelihood that Wilson improves year 2 than gets worse. 

A lot of what you are basing on things is that they are the Jets and you are looking at past history and making that your conclusion without thinking that maybe they got rid of everyone from the past decade of sucking and its a new organization that has seemingly been extremely competent.  Teams do turn it around.  The Jets have gone over a decade from the last time they made the playoffs, that means they are probably closer to ending that streak than continuing it. They eventually will be good, eventually will make the playoffs, and eventually will be right. Teams aren''t bad forever in the NFL. 

One thing that benefits Wilson vs some other rookie QBs. Wilson had the full offense thrown onto him as a rookie, he didn't have training wheels like most rookie QBs. He was asked to scan the field and read coverages, which he got much better at as the season progressed. He was confident in reading coverages vs some good defenses late in the season, the stats don't look great because he was throwing to absolute garbage players. Week 18 he had his top 4-5 WRs on IR. 4-5 starting linemen on IR. Vs the best pass defense in football on the road when the Bills were playing for everything. 

I like your optimism. Its the same way I felt with the 2008 Vikings.

That team made it to the playoffs in spite of our young QB, who had been benched for most of the season anyways. We left the playoffs as fast as we got in it. Maybe your team will have same luck. I trust Flacco will do his part.

20 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Reasonable criticism is not the same thing as being "butt hurt".

Expect it’s not reasonable. I have seen several comments you’ve made and you seem like someone’s upset you as your so down on everything Jets related. 

Your putting Zach down as if you’ve watched all Jet games and seen all his snaps. Maybe you have and you have all this spare time and if so good luck to you. Just seems very odd. 

16 minutes ago, KimuraGod said:

Expect it’s not reasonable. I have seen several comments you’ve made and you seem like someone’s upset you as your so down on everything Jets related. 

Your putting Zach down as if you’ve watched all Jet games and seen all his snaps. Maybe you have and you have all this spare time and if so good luck to you. Just seems very odd. 

That's a pretty big assumption to think I'm upset over a team that's been horrible for the last...10 seasons? Yes, my criticism of your team is reasonable, just as the criticism of my own team is. I've mentioned that I think the Jets can do well this year under Flacco. Read into that as much as you want.

15 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

That's a pretty big assumption to think I'm upset over a team that's been horrible for the last...10 seasons? Yes, my criticism of your team is reasonable, just as the criticism of my own team is. I've mentioned that I think the Jets can do well this year under Flacco. Read into that as much as you want.

But I take it you’ve watched all of your own teams games over the last decade? So therefore of course your criticism would be justified. 

What I’m asking you is why Iv seen numerous posts bashing the Jets/Wilson when in fact you’ve not watched them?! Or have you? You didn’t make that clear.

And if you think Joe Flacco is the answer to the Jets this year then I’m really struggling. I’m guessing your taking the piss but I don’t know at this stage! 

14 minutes ago, KimuraGod said:

But I take it you’ve watched all of your own teams games over the last decade? So therefore of course your criticism would be justified. 

What I’m asking you is why Iv seen numerous posts bashing the Jets/Wilson when in fact you’ve not watched them?! Or have you? You didn’t make that clear.

And if you think Joe Flacco is the answer to the Jets this year then I’m really struggling. I’m guessing your taking the piss but I don’t know at this stage! 

I have the NFL direct TV package. I watch them on a mini screen along with 7 other teams. Sure, I might miss some plays, but otherwise I have had the misfortune of watching the Jets.

I believe Flacco is good enough to not completely screw everything up. I don't have that faith in Tanner Wilson.

2 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

I have the NFL direct TV package. I watch them on a mini screen along with 7 other teams. Sure, I might miss some plays, but otherwise I have had the misfortune of watching the Jets.

I believe Flacco is good enough to not completely screw everything up. I don't have that faith in Tanner Wilson.

It does not matter what you think, it matters what the Jets think. They aren't benching Wilson for a 37 year old QB when they have been in rebuild mode. This team has rookies and 2nd year players starting all over, their leash is longer than others. 

What the Jets have been over the past 10 years has nothing to do with the Jets of the next 10 years. You do realize they fired every single person in the building who was responsible for the past 10 years of bad drafting and decision making, right?  The reason why the Jets appear more competent the past couple drafts is because they spent big money on revamping the entire scouting department. They are different people who are running things now. There is nothing dysfunctional about the current Jets, they have a front office and coaching staff who are on the same page.

3 hours ago, KimuraGod said:

Is that the new stat we are adding in now….******* dropped INT’s! Is that going to be added to the stat lines for all qbs?!

Gordon Ramsay Reaction GIF by Hell's Kitchen

This has been a thing for a while. Football outsiders used to do an adjusted interception stat which accounted for drops and tips, though I'm guessing they aren't doing it for 2021 because it usually comes out at the start of May 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NYJets4716 said:

It does not matter what you think, it matters what the Jets think. They aren't benching Wilson for a 37 year old QB when they have been in rebuild mode. This team has rookies and 2nd year players starting all over, their leash is longer than others. 

What the Jets have been over the past 10 years has nothing to do with the Jets of the next 10 years. You do realize they fired every single person in the building who was responsible for the past 10 years of bad drafting and decision making, right?  The reason why the Jets appear more competent the past couple drafts is because they spent big money on revamping the entire scouting department. They are different people who are running things now. There is nothing dysfunctional about the current Jets, they have a front office and coaching staff who are on the same page.

Well sure, but when the Jets finish with the #1 pick, with Wilson consistently throwing away games while struggling to complete 50-55% of his passes, the Jets will certainly entertain a new young singlecaller for their team. Developing young guys is great, but you play to win the game. 

And while change may look nice on paper, there is no guarantee that it actually works. Sure, the Jets did the right thing in moving on from people who weren't getting the job done, but that doesn't mean the new people must be better just because.

The nice thing is that the Jets don't have a lot of commitment to Tanner Wilson, so they could move on after this season for a legitimate longterm starter, and let Wilson compete as the #3, or con some poor team into trading a day 3 pick for him.