Expectations for 2nd year QBs

NYRaider

2 hours ago, Forge said:

Don't think that the problem is whether or not he's legit. It's always been about the ceiling. 

I wouldn’t equate legit with decent which is what was used to describe him.   He’s so damn smart that I think that elevates his ceiling for the lack of having a howitzer arm.

2 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

Ok so even if I’m underestimating Jones or people in general are, do you think he will play at a high enough level to compete with the top QBs in the AFC like Allen, Mahomes, Herbert, Burrow, Lamar, and Russ? Combined with the fact all those elite top QBs have elite type weapons around them and Jones doesn’t.

We’ll just have to wait to see which additional weapons Belichick gives Mac. Henry and Bourne found chemistry with him.  Who knows if Parker can stay healthy? 

And yes, I think he can play at a high enough level alongside the QB names that you mentioned in the same way we saw that Drew Brees did alongside his more talented peers.   Whether or not he reaches that ceiling remains to be seen but writing him off already is silly imo. 

Edited by thrILL!
spelling

Mac Jones (PFF:T11th, DYAR:12th) is never going to be a Fantasy QB (FPPG:30th) because New England is a run first (8th in RB usage, 24th in passes) team, 16th in ADoT.  The positional schedules for 2022 turn rather sharply in favor of RBs and away from the passing game (especially QBs and WRs).  They have so many wideouts in town that I've all but given up on them taking Jameson Williams at #21 (which is crucial to Mac's development but the team has other priorities).

Barring the clichéd sophomore slump, Jones should improve incrementally while Belichick goes defense and OG in the draft.  

It'll be hard for the team to make headway in that division, especially so with Miami ascendant.  Best case scenario?  They firm up their front seven, steamroll on offense, and win all the close games to finish 14-3.  A hurricane or two wouldn't hurt.  Worst case, barring a spate of injuries?  Opponents stop the ground game while dashing, dinking and dunking the Pats to death. 6-11.

Ask me again after the draft.

Trevor Lawrence: I think the realistic expectations are show any level of growth.  No offense to the Jags fans, you guys are great.  But he's in a trash organization that was run by a clown last year.  He pretty much has a second rookie season.  But with any level of competence running the team, you should expect to see some peaks of a QB that looks like a first overall pick.

Zach Wilson: Wilson has a bit more pressure. Jets have a lot of picks, and they're likely to get him some more help.  He needs to start looking like a franchise guy, or people will start to worry.

Trey Lance: Beat out Garoppolo at some point this season.  If not, people are gonna start to panic.

Justin Fields: See Zach Wilson.  He needs to look like a franchise QB, at least in glimpses.  The Bears don't have as much help for him, but still.

Mac Jones: None.  The expectations are for the team to be strong, and for him to keep managing it.

Davis Mills: I don't think there are a lot of expectations there, really.  If he looks at all like a starting QB in year two, it'll be kind of a pleasant surprise.

20 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

Jimmy G is gone the second he heals up

Probably, but as long as he's still there, I think that's the expectation.  For now, I don't know if a trade happens or not.  Until it does.

I'll add this though: if Jimmy is traded, I think the expectations are more in line with Trevor Lawrence.  He needs to just show potential, because he's known as a draft for traits, and when you draft one of those, you typically expect more growing pains.

• 1 month later...

If Mac doesn’t improve or if he doesn’t look quite as good, we’re basically f’d now within division. We have put an expectation on him to at least be as good as he was in the first half of last season. Would be happy with that. 

let’s go with: 4030, 24 TD, 14 Int

2 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

If Mac doesn’t improve or if he doesn’t look quite as good, we’re basically f’d now within division. We have put an expectation on him to at least be as good as he was in the first half of last season. Would be happy with that. 

let’s go with: 4030, 24 TD, 14 Int

Meh. The Patriots have one of the easier schedules in the NFL and the run game/defense will still be top tier. I do expect to see him take a step forward though. 

On 4/14/2022 at 2:17 PM, NYRaider said:

If there's one thing everyone seems to agree on it's that Fields sucks, lol.

This one kinda blows my mind

It's crazy how much love Lance gets and Fields is just an after thought

🤔 

Sure Lance is in a better situation, but imo Fields was more pro ready coming into the NFL AND showed more in his first season than Lance did.

I'm probably the odd one out but I think Fields will turn out better in the end

As for this next year I think

Wilson makes the biggest leap, his arm talent is incredible, he just needs to learn more and when the game slows down for him, watch out 

2 hours ago, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

This one kinda blows my mind

It's crazy how much love Lance gets and Fields is just an after thought

🤔

Sure Lance is in a better situation, but imo Fields was more pro ready coming into the NFL AND showed more in his first season than Lance did.

I'm probably the odd one out but I think Fields will turn out better in the end

As for this next year I think

Wilson makes the biggest leap, his arm talent is incredible, he just needs to learn more and when the game slows down for him, watch out 

Most quarterbacks are their situation. Fields has enough issues on his own that if you're going to put him on a bad team they are going to be exacerbated. He has one of the worst offensive lines in the league and one of the worst receiving corps in the league. Thats going to be really difficult to overcome in the short term. Obviously, they may give him more help long term, but if they are unable to put quality pieces around him this could certainly be a situation where he's basically a slightly more athletic Daniel Jones. The Bears could certainly ruin him before all is said and done; Tannehills are relatively rare all things considered. 

So short term, it definitely makes sense to like Lance over him, though I think people are crazy for thinking that Lance is going to be have a monster season this year or next. I expect that team is going to be insaaaaaaaaaaaaaanely run heavy in SF for at least the next year. Even more so than Shanny normally is. Add to that the defense should be one of the best in the league and there's no reason for him to get overly cute with Lance for at least this year. 

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

Pretty much a forgone conclusion at this point. Seldom do you ever want to say always or never, so 99.99% he's starting. 

If SF brass were 100% sold on Lance they would have moved on from Garappolo by now.

4 minutes ago, biggie. said:

If SF brass were 100% sold on Lance they would have moved on from Garappolo by now.

They've tried. The injury killed his trade market and he has an injury  guarantee in his contract so they have to wait until he's healthy to cut him. That's why Albert Breer said that he expects things to start moving on that front around july. 

Kyle just said 2 days ago his expectation is that Jimmy is going to be traded. They will continue to peddle the idea that they won't cut him if only because saying anything else further diminishes any nominal value in the trade market he has. 

• Like 2