Expectations for 2nd year QBs

NYRaider

9 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

Got to laugh at the media coverage of Lance. It seems every day 5he narrative switches. One day it’s how he’s impressed the next it’s how the team is worried. Wake me up week one to see what he does.

Its because the 49ers themselves don't really say anything. I said it in another thread, but I tend to not really give any talk, good or bad, any real weight with regards how he is performing.  It's fun to talk about and discuss, but neither the positive or the negatives really mean much to me because the niners themselves don't tend to leak much. So it's really just a bunch of headline grabs. 

Honestly, I think he's just going to hand the ball off a lot. I think I'd put the over / under on passing attempts for Lance at like 390 if he plays all 17 games (for comparison, RG3 threw it 393 times his rookie year in 15 games). He'll probably make some impressive, isolated throws and he'll make some "woof, what are you doing plays" but on the whole I think that he'll mostly be protected 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Forge said:

Most quarterbacks are their situation. Fields has enough issues on his own that if you're going to put him on a bad team they are going to be exacerbated. He has one of the worst offensive lines in the league and one of the worst receiving corps in the league. Thats going to be really difficult to overcome in the short term. Obviously, they may give him more help long term, but if they are unable to put quality pieces around him this could certainly be a situation where he's basically a slightly more athletic Daniel Jones. The Bears could certainly ruin him before all is said and done; Tannehills are relatively rare all things considered. 

So short term, it definitely makes sense to like Lance over him, though I think people are crazy for thinking that Lance is going to be have a monster season this year or next. I expect that team is going to be insaaaaaaaaaaaaaanely run heavy in SF for at least the next year. Even more so than Shanny normally is. Add to that the defense should be one of the best in the league and there's no reason for him to get overly cute with Lance for at least this year. 

I agree with everything here

I believe that Nagy was REALLY holding that offense back. So with him gone I think that the entirety of the Bears O should look better this year.

I like Lance a lot , but he was so incredibly raw coming into the NFL. He's in a great situation so hopefully that helps his development. 

On the low though, I feel that if SF drafted Fields, he would have beaten out Jimmy G last year.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Forge said:

Its because the 49ers themselves don't really say anything. I said it in another thread, but I tend to not really give any talk, good or bad, any real weight with regards how he is performing.  It's fun to talk about and discuss, but neither the positive or the negatives really mean much to me because the niners themselves don't tend to leak much. So it's really just a bunch of headline grabs. 

Honestly, I think he's just going to hand the ball off a lot. I think I'd put the over / under on passing attempts for Lance at like 390 if he plays all 17 games (for comparison, RG3 threw it 393 times his rookie year in 15 games). He'll probably make some impressive, isolated throws and he'll make some "woof, what are you doing plays" but on the whole I think that he'll mostly be protected 

McVay is the same way. 100% coach speak which leads to all kinds of speculation. Hell look at the talk of him retiring  from coaching and going to TV. He never said anything like he was going to do it he was just vague in a response to people wanting to get clicks came up with tweets and articles about it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

Sure Lance is in a better situation, but imo Fields was more pro ready coming into the NFL AND showed more in his first season than Lance did.

I'm probably the odd one out but I think Fields will turn out better in the end

As for this next year I think

Wilson makes the biggest leap, his arm talent is incredible, he just needs to learn more and when the game slows down for him, watch out 

A QB's situation is literally the most important factor that determines if they're good or not. Lance hardly played but Fields was not good last year, the Bears didn't add much around him, and they have a new coaching staff. Lance had 5 passing TD in 178 offensive snaps, Fields had 7 in 635 snaps, their completion % was roughly the same.

As you said Fields was way more pro ready coming into the NFL as a guy that played a ton of games at a major program, Lance only had like 15 starts including just 1 his last season at NDSU.

So Lance theoretically has a lot more room to improve and is in a way better situation.

• Like 1

Its weird for McCorkle. We know his O-line will be good, His run game should be good. His targets are a bunch of #2s but not a bad group overall.

We also know that NE is the 3rd best team on paper in that division and the Jets are closing in on 3.

So he could play a little better and they could be worse as a team.

• Like 1

Depends what we mean here by expectations.

I think Lawrence is a bust, so my personal expectations are extremely low.

However, based on his hype? The Jags should probably have a top 10-ish offense, especially with how many Jags fans defended the Kirk signing.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Bolts223 said:

For all the hype the 2021 class got at the time of the draft I wouldn't be surprised if by this time next year we view the best of them as "Meh they're okay" and the worst of them as "Wow what a major bust."

Herbert being godly set the bar too high.

• Like 1

Wilson weighs 221 now, which visually clearly he put on muscle. He was weighing 208 last season reportedly, he says he plays to play at 218. 

My expectation is that he is going to be much better than last season. I just hope the team around him stays healthy so that he can actually showcase his talent, cause when he started feeling more comfortable all the guys around him went on IR and he was playing against some really good defenses and had Berrios as his #1 WR.  

11 minutes ago, Daniel said:

So which second year QB is under the most pressure?

I think Lance and Lawrence are going to get kind of a pass, Jones is already good, and Mills is playing with house money.

I think Davis Mills and Mac Jones are under the least amount of pressure.

Fields has some pressure but somewhat gets a pass/some leeway just because of how terrible their team is and the fact that they have a new coaching staff.

I'd probably rank the other guys:

1. Trey Lance: There has been drama surrounding the 49ers QB situation since they traded 3 1st round picks to land him. Assuming that they move on from Jimmy G, the expectation is going to be that he can elevate the offense like Mahomes did in KC or Stafford did for the Rams. The 49ers nearly made the Super Bowl last season and Lance was drafted to be the piece that can help them take the next step.

2. Trevor Lawrence: There's not a ton of pressure on him to win a ton of games but if he doesn't make a decently significant leap this year I think the whispers of bust will grow a little louder. He was considered to be a generational prospect but was disappointing as a rookie. The Urban fiasco kind of gives him some leeway. But the Jaguars have invested a ton of resources into their offense around him. Their new coach Pederson was also with Wentz early in his career where he went from okay rookie to an MVP candidate.

3. Zach Wilson: Wasn't great as a rookie but he didn't exactly have the best circumstances either. Wilson and the team had growing pains which is to be expected with a rookie QB/HC/OC combo. Heading into year two they have that continuity now and they've invested a ton of resources into their offensive line and to add skill position players around Wilson. I don't think they need to win a ton of games but he and the team are definitely under pressure to show some progress. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Xenos said:

Burrow and Herbert. Imagine if Tua did something.

Burrow definitely flashed his rookie season before he got hurt.

But Herbert had arguably the greatest rookie season in NFL history. 4,400 yards/31 TD is a very good season for any QB but for a rookie it was insane. He was essentially what everyone hyped and expected Trevor Lawrence to be. And he set the bar high for future top tier rookie starting QB.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NYJets4716 said:

Wilson weighs 221 now, which visually clearly he put on muscle. He was weighing 208 last season reportedly, he says he plays to play at 218. 

My expectation is that he is going to be much better than last season. I just hope the team around him stays healthy so that he can actually showcase his talent, cause when he started feeling more comfortable all the guys around him went on IR and he was playing against some really good defenses and had Berrios as his #1 WR.  

If your offensive line can stay healthy I think he'll have a good year. Going into year two in the same system with a much improved supporting cast around him.