Expectations for 2nd year QBs

NYRaider

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

Well sure, but when the Jets finish with the #1 pick, with Wilson consistently throwing away games while struggling to complete 50-55% of his passes, the Jets will certainly entertain a new young singlecaller for their team. Developing young guys is great, but you play to win the game. 

And while change may look nice on paper, there is no guarantee that it actually works. Sure, the Jets did the right thing in moving on from people who weren't getting the job done, but that doesn't mean the new people must be better just because.

The nice thing is that the Jets don't have a lot of commitment to Tanner Wilson, so they could move on after this season for a legitimate longterm starter, and let Wilson compete as the #3, or con some poor team into trading a day 3 pick for him.

No one said they must be better just because, it's the moves they made and the direction they took that shows they are more competent than the past people. Your argument is that they were bad for 10 years so they'll be bad for another 10 years and never be good, just because. Which is ridiculous considering in the NFL teams change quickly. 

It seems personal with you and Wilson, like I'm not sure what the rationale is to say that Wilson will be worse than last season with potentially better talent around him.  It is impossible to be put in a worse situation than he was at the end of last season with his top 4 WRs on IR and most of the OL on IR. Along with the worst defense in football. 

Edited by NYJets4716

1 hour ago, NYJets4716 said:

No one said they must be better just because, it's the moves they made and the direction they took that shows they are more competent than the past people. Your argument is that they were bad for 10 years so they'll be bad for another 10 years and never be good, just because. Which is ridiculous considering in the NFL teams change quickly. 

It seems personal with you and Wilson, like I'm not sure what the rationale is to say that Wilson will be worse than last season with potentially better talent around him.  It is impossible to be put in a worse situation than he was at the end of last season with his top 4 WRs on IR and most of the OL on IR. Along with the worst defense in football. 

Expecting a bad QB to be even worse in their 2nd season isn't anything personal. I just don't think he's going to be good. Maybe he cleans up his mechanics, fix his accuracy and starts making better decisions, but I doubt it.

The situation/talent argument only goes so far. Yes, it plays a factor, but at some point, you have to look at the individual and see what you have. In 13 games, Wilson was horrendous. Usually it takes about 20 games on average to see what you have in a QB, but I don't see the Jets waiting that long. Usually QBs (well the good ones at least) can make the talent around them look better instead of the other way around. 

There really isn't any excuses anymore for him. Teams simply can't just rely on hope to see results. That's not a winning strategy. With a year under his belt, the majority of the games played last season, a full playbook and better options to work with, if Wilson can't perform now, then there is no sense in extending his time as a starter any longer than this season to see if he's your guy.

7 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

I have the NFL direct TV package. I watch them on a mini screen along with 7 other teams. Sure, I might miss some plays, but otherwise I have had the misfortune of watching the Jets.

I believe Flacco is good enough to not completely screw everything up. I don't have that faith in Tanner Wilson.

3 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Well sure, but when the Jets finish with the #1 pick, with Wilson consistently throwing away games while struggling to complete 50-55% of his passes, the Jets will certainly entertain a new young singlecaller for their team. Developing young guys is great, but you play to win the game. 

And while change may look nice on paper, there is no guarantee that it actually works. Sure, the Jets did the right thing in moving on from people who weren't getting the job done, but that doesn't mean the new people must be better just because.

The nice thing is that the Jets don't have a lot of commitment to Tanner Wilson, so they could move on after this season for a legitimate longterm starter, and let Wilson compete as the #3, or con some poor team into trading a day 3 pick for him.

Tired Good Night GIF by MLB

2 hours ago, NYJets4716 said:

It’s not worth debating my man. This is the take we will continue to get told until the Jets turn it around. So we just have to take it on the chin. 

Imagine having the time or desire to go out of your way to bash another team and another player who has no relevance to you. Nuts! 

6 minutes ago, KimuraGod said:

Bro your boring. Leave me alone. 

That's fine, but again, if I'm boring, then that's on you to end the conversation. It's wildly redundant to take time out of your day to tell someone you don't want to talk to them.

Anyways, I wish your team luck. With Tanner, they'll need it.

6 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Well obviously games aren't won on paper, they're won on the field. But Joe Douglas has patient and diligent with the way that he has rebuilt their offense. They've rebuilt their OL and put a nice group of skill position players around Wilson, he has to perform now.

The disparity between Wilson's performance against man coverage and zone coverage is extremely notable. Looking forward to seeing what he can do if he's got competent receivers all year. If course, that means they have to stay healthy, which is certainly no lock

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

The disparity between Wilson's performance against man coverage and zone coverage is extremely notable. Looking forward to seeing what he can do if he's got competent receivers all year. If course, that means they have to stay healthy, which is certainly no lock

Ideally their OL will be healthy too so he isn't one of the most pressured/sacked QB's in the league. I think the addition of Breece Hall is going to help him a ton as well.

On 5/27/2022 at 5:15 PM, SkippyX said:

Its weird for McCorkle. We know his O-line will be good, His run game should be good. His targets are a bunch of #2s but not a bad group overall.

We also know that NE is the 3rd best team on paper in that division and the Jets are closing in on 3.

So he could play a little better and they could be worse as a team.

Do we? On paper, I'd argue the Jets have more talent at OL, WR, RB, DL and CB. Not to say they’ll be better. Obviously, this doesn’t factor in coaching and the plethora of question marks surrounding the team — on paper though, I do think the Jets have a better roster. 

47 minutes ago, NJC33 said:

Do we? On paper, I'd argue the Jets have more talent at OL, WR, RB, DL and CB. Not to say they’ll be better. Obviously, this doesn’t factor in coaching and the plethora of question marks surrounding the team — on paper though, I do think the Jets have a better roster. 

We do

1 hour ago, NJC33 said:

Bill makes up for a lot as the head coach.

4 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Bill makes up for a lot as the head coach.

Yep. Wouldn't bet against him. 

Probably read too much into "on paper" and assumed it was a comparison between rosters. Team wise, I'd still take the Patriots over the Jets and the Dolphins for that matter. A credit to Bill and the system he's built, because from a talent perspective I do think it's the worst roster in the division.