Raiders extend QB Derek Carr 3 years 121.5 Million

agarcia34

6 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Football is a game of inches, you can change like 4-5 plays from our season and we would've had a losing record, lol. 

The philosophy that Ziegler/McDaniels are using is pretty similar to what the Rams do, we just traded away premium picks and spent a ton of money on a few players. 

They still draft well despite not having premium picks, look at how many guys they've lost in free agency.

True but you generally can not mortgage your future and expect to maintain a high level of play.  The Rams way is not a good way to build a sustainable team.  If you have a Brady or Donald you can take those chances but we do not.  Our two best players are at positions that are dependent upon to many other players.  A DT and QB can elevate those around them if they are elite.  We are not setup to go all in with a short window.  I still be believe we went all in to soon.  We did it to be a playoff team but if we would have put it off then we could have gone all in to be an elite team.  I could be wrong but I think we acted to soon.

22 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

True but you generally can not mortgage your future and expect to maintain a high level of play.  The Rams way is not a good way to build a sustainable team.  If you have a Brady or Donald you can take those chances but we do not.  Our two best players are at positions that are dependent upon to many other players.  A DT and QB can elevate those around them if they are elite.  We are not setup to go all in with a short window.  I still be believe we went all in to soon.  We did it to be a playoff team but if we would have put it off then we could have gone all in to be an elite team.  I could be wrong but I think we acted to soon.

Have the Rams really mortgaged their future though? They're still in a very good place and will have all of their draft capital starting next offseason. We were a playoff team last season and were a play away from forcing overtime against the team that won the AFC.

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Have the Rams really mortgaged their future though? They're still in a very good place and will have all of their draft capital starting next offseason. We were a playoff team last season and were a play away from forcing overtime against the team that won the AFC.

What talent does the Rams have that is not on a big contract?  They have no 1st or 2nd this year and no first in 2023.  They have very little talent on rookie contracts and very little flexibility with cap.  Without Donald the talent level takes a huge hit and many players on their defense will see a decline in production.  Donald is the only reason why their choices look good and we do not have that type of player.  Without looking at money we would probably have to offer Adams, Waller, and Crosby to get Donald from them.  How bad does it look for them if they lose to the 49ers.  When you make the moves they did it is SB or bust.  If it was not for Donald it would have been bust.  My original point was we do not have that elite player to elevate those around them so their system would have a much higher chance of failing and causing use to have a major rebuild.

4 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

What talent does the Rams have that is not on a big contract?  They have no 1st or 2nd this year and no first in 2023.  They have very little talent on rookie contracts and very little flexibility with cap.  Without Donald the talent level takes a huge hit and many players on their defense will see a decline in production.  Donald is the only reason why their choices look good and we do not have that type of player.  Without looking at money we would probably have to offer Adams, Waller, and Crosby to get Donald from them.  How bad does it look for them if they lose to the 49ers.  When you make the moves they did it is SB or bust.  If it was not for Donald it would have been bust.  My original point was we do not have that elite player to elevate those around them so their system would have a much higher chance of failing and causing use to have a major rebuild.

Cam Akers, Van Jefferson, Tyler Higbee, basically their entire secondary outside of Ramsey, their entire offensive line, lol. They've had Aaron Donald and didn't win a Super Bowl, Stafford is what pushed them over the top. We have a 2-3 year window with Carr/Adams or we're going to be headed towards a major rebuild.

26 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Cam Akers, Van Jefferson, Tyler Higbee, basically their entire secondary outside of Ramsey, their entire offensive line, lol. They've had Aaron Donald and didn't win a Super Bowl, Stafford is what pushed them over the top. We have a 2-3 year window with Carr/Adams or we're going to be headed towards a major rebuild.

I would not be hanging my hat on Akers, Jefferson, and Higbee.  HIgbee is making $8 million this year, Jefferson is a #3, Akers does not impress me, Rapp is on his last year on a rookie deal, Havestein makes $8 million a year and is on his last year, Noteboom just got $13 million a year, etc...  Who are these good, not even going to say great players, on rookie deals?  The Rams are an extremely top heavy team built to win now.  After this year they are screwed and that is why McVay has already started setting up his exit.

9 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

I would not be hanging my hat on Akers, Jefferson, and Higbee.  HIgbee is making $8 million this year, Jefferson is a #3, Akers does not impress me, Rapp is on his last year on a rookie deal, Havestein makes $8 million a year and is on his last year, Noteboom just got $13 million a year, etc...  Who are these good, not even going to say great players, on rookie deals?  The Rams are an extremely top heavy team built to win now.  After this year they are screwed and that is why McVay has already started setting up his exit.

Cam Akers looks like a good young back, Van just had 800 yards, and Higbee is above average. McVay has shown the ability to adapt and they've shown the ability to draft and develop guys. We've seen it with countless free agents and I'm sure they'll be just fine next season.

5 minutes ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

By being the longest tenured QB in the AFC with zero playoff wins under his belt? I guess so lol.

Anyways here's to Carr playing well and earning this contract. I just want to win at the end of the day.

And Ziegler basically gave him a 2 year prove it deal, he's getting paid at a reasonable rate over the next two years before it balloons in the final 2 years of the deal. But with the way that it's structured if he doesn't meet expectations we can just cut him with almost zero dead cap or financial downside. 

Just now, NYRaider said:

And Ziegler basically gave him a 2 year prove it deal, he's getting paid at a reasonable rate over the next two years before it balloons in the final 2 years of the deal. But with the way that it's structured if he doesn't meet expectations we can just cut him with almost zero dead cap or financial downside. 

Yup. I have less of a problem with the deal as details have emerged. Both sides did well protecting themselves. 

2 minutes ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Yup. I have less of a problem with the deal as details have emerged. Both sides did well protecting themselves. 

Agreed. If Carr had proven his "haters wrong" or if the new regime had 100% faith in him he would've received significantly more guaranteed money.