Moretti's 4/14/2022 Mock

moretti19

My wife and I just returned from Cabo San Lucas and had a blast. I was able to relax and read up on some prospects and also find out my alcohol tolerance is not what it used to be lol. Hope you all enjoy it.

NFL Draft

Round 1: 

Nos. 22:

JERMAINE JOHNSON II FSU Defense End

Ascending edge prospect. Johnson has NFL traits and the potential to keep getting bigger and better as a pro. He is a one-year full-time starter with an underdeveloped pass rush and occasional lapses in awareness, but both areas should be correctable with more coaching and game experience. He's more instinctive and consistent as a run defender, but his length and relentlessness are excellent building blocks for challenging protection. Johnson's blend of strength and athleticism should make him a firm edge-setter and playmaker near the line of scrimmage for odd or even fronts. He has the traits, athleticism and talent to project as a top-40 pick with a bright future.

1235088781.jpg

(from Raiders), 28 overall

George Pickens WR Geogria

Pickens made an instant impact in his first year in Athens, landing on the SEC All-Freshman Team and sharing the team's Offensive Newcomer of the Year Award after leading the squad with 49 receptions, 727 receiving yards (14.8 per rec.) and eight receiving touchdowns. He played in all 14 games with two starts, though he was suspended for the first half of the Georgia Tech game for violation of team rules and then got into a fight with a Georgia Tech player that cost him the first half of the SEC Championship Game against LSU. The top 25 overall recruit nationally from Hoover High School in Alabama started all eight games in 2020, leading the team with eight touchdowns (36-513-14.2). He tore an ACL in spring 2021 practices but returned to play in the last four games (5-107-21.4) of the team's national championship season, stretching out for a 52-yard pass in the title game. Pickens was on the A.J. Green Family Football Scholarship while at Georgia, named after the former Georgia star and long-time NFL receiver.

georgepickens_2022_nfl_draft_georgia.jpg

Round 2: 

Nos. 53

Tyquan Thornton, WR, Baylor

He has good size at 6-2, but the thing that stands out is his speed. Yes, he timed well at the combine at under 4.3, but what's really impressive is the way he runs away from defenders with ease. He's a long-striding glider who can turn short passes into big plays. The more I watched him, the more I liked. His West Virginia tape, including deep in where he ran away from the defense for a touchdown, was eye-opening. He's also a pretty good route runner for a speed guy, something he will get better at on the next level. Thornton will be a second-round steal. 

20211009_EP_5_52_PM_2.jpg

(from Raiders), 59

Marcus Jones, CB, Houston

The team that drafts Jones will be getting a cover player — likely inside in the slot — and also a big-play return man. There's great value in both. Jones isn't a bigger corner at 5-9, 185 pounds, but he is a good cover player who has a knack for the ball. He has been a star sprinter in track in his career, which says a lot about his speed. 

usa_today_15040086.jpg

Round 3: No. 92

Neil Farrell Jr., DT, LSU

He is a power player at 6-4, 335 pounds, but he showed against Alabama last season that he can move a bit too. He beat his block and chased down Bryce Young for a sack, showing off his athletic ability. For a team looking for a good inside player, one who might have some of his best football ahead of him, Farrell is certainly worth a pick in the fourth round.

neil-farrell-jr--8568_rs1.jpg

Round 4: 

Nos. 132,

Channing Tindall, LB, Georgia

Fellow Georgia linebacker Nakobe Dean gets all the attention, but I think Tindall has a real chance to be a better NFL player. Tindall is bigger and faster and really pops on tape. He is explosive running to the football. Amazingly, he didn't start at Georgia. Dean and Quay Walker, another impressive prospect, were the starters. But Tindall's athletic ability and size translate to the next level. He can also rush the passer. He is violent

JOZV2XQ2ZFABFA3GUHKTLU4AKE.jpg

Zach Tom, OL, Wake Forest

Tom is viewed by some teams as an inside player, which is where he started his career for the Demon Deacons. But he played tackle the past two seasons and really did a nice job in their RPO offense. His tape when matched against FSU's Jermaine Johnson was impressive. He isn't huge at 6-4, 307, but he plays with strength and he has the ability to lock up in pass protection. Line versatility is huge for teams, which is why he will be in the league for a long time. 

FB_Zach_Tom_2021_Jim_Tatum_Award.jpg

Round 5:

No. 171

Christopher Allen, OLB, Alabama

If he had been healthy for most of his career, he'd be a Day Two pick. But injuries limited him to five starts in his career as he also played behind some talented players, He was poised for a big season in 2022, but he suffered a foot injury in the first quarter of 'Bama's opener against Miami. He flashed early in that game before the injury. I think he has a real chance to be a productive NFL player. He would be perfect for a team looking for 3-4 rush linebacker. 

SfPfsz4k_400x400.jpg

• 7th round, 224th overall: Kyler McMichael, CB, North Carolina
  • 7th round, 245th overall: Eric Ezukanma, WR, Texas Tech
  • 7th round, 255th overall: Bubba Bolden, S, Miami
  • Like 1

Call me superstitious, but the stink left by Jamal Reynolds, has cured me of any desire to seek a passrusher from FSU.

Otherwise, good to read some different names than the ones most if us fans think of.

Maybe the drafting of Stokes signals an emphasis on more speed. Thornton has plenty of that and could be quite a weapon 

• Like 1

Not my favorite, not my least favorite.

Johnson isn't my preference as he's a bit older and might not be a second contract guy.

Im not a fan of two receivers that early. There's three receiver spots, Cobb and Allen have two locked in. There's only a direct opportunity to snaps for one receiver, and it's too soon to give up on Amari; two early picks to kick him down to #5 seems like a bad use of resources. 

I do like addressing edge early, and I do like both receivers a lot, so I could live with this. My preference is to address four different positions with our top picks, that's all

9 minutes ago, VegasDan said:

Call me superstitious, but the stink left by Jamal Reynolds, has cured me of any desire to seek a passrusher from FSU.

Superstitions are a crippling thing to the mind. Did the stink left by Rich Campbell also cure you of any desire to seek a QB from California? 

Edited by R T
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, R T said:

Superstitions are a crippling thing to the mind. Did the stink left by Rich Campbell also cure you of any desire to seek a QB from California? 

I don't blame Rich Campbell for his failures with the Packers. I blame coaching. When the OC states that after Rich's first pass in practice he expected him to fail, what level of coaching effort did he invest?

4 hours ago, VegasDan said:

Otherwise, good to read some different names than the ones most if us fans think of.

Maybe the drafting of Stokes signals an emphasis on more speed. Thornton has plenty of that and could be quite a weapon 

I hate, hate, hate these lingering comments about Jamal Reynolds and FSU pass rushers or similar comments about WI or Penn St RB's, etc.   What exactly does any player coming from FSU have to do with Bobby Bowden or his coaching staff?   Jamal Reynolds was drafted in 2001 - how many times has the coaching staff turned over in that time?   I get some people say it in jest, maybe you are here, but there are enough people out there that seriously harbor these thoughts and I want to give them the full baby seal treatment.    Once that coaching staff moves on from that school and literally the entire offensive/defensive philosophies change it's time for certain stigmas to die (like that damn baby seal again!)

• Like 1

Spot on Kampfgeist

Jackie Chiles said it best:

Erroneous, felonious, malicious and superstitious pattern-seeking on the tired and trite FSU EDGE recriminations
This shall not stand; somebody is going to pay for this abomination on Packer Nation

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRJGKi_eP8tUQrYduuVzfe

6 hours ago, moretti19 said:

My wife and I just returned from Cabo San Lucas and had a blast. I was able to relax and read up on some prospects and also find out my alcohol tolerance is not what it used to be lol. Hope you all enjoy it.

My boss and his wife LOVE Sammy Hagar.  They went to Cabo a couple of years ago and went to Cabo Wabo.  They were wearing some StL stuff, and these two ladies come up to them and ask if they were from St. Louis.  Her husband was a huge Cardinals fan.  They talked for a couple of minutes, and my boss bought them some drinks.  The band started playing so the ladies went back to their table.  After the first song, Sammy Hagar comes out on stage with Toby Keith and they play a set.  Afterward, Sammy calls them over to his table because they were nice to his, and Toby's wives.  Drinks were on the house.  And when they were stumbling out, the bouncer stopped them and said, "where do you think you're going?" They thought the bouncer was out for them.  Then he said, "Mr. Hagar says you aren't taking a cab."  And they got a limo to take them to their hotel.  Pretty awesome dude, that Sammy Hagar.  His biggest sin is not being David Lee Roth.

2 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

My boss and his wife LOVE Sammy Hagar.  They went to Cabo a couple of years ago and went to Cabo Wabo.  They were wearing some StL stuff, and these two ladies come up to them and ask if they were from St. Louis.  Her husband was a huge Cardinals fan.  They talked for a couple of minutes, and my boss bought them some drinks.  The band started playing so the ladies went back to their table.  After the first song, Sammy Hagar comes out on stage with Toby Keith and they play a set.  Afterward, Sammy calls them over to his table because they were nice to his, and Toby's wives.  Drinks were on the house.  And when they were stumbling out, the bouncer stopped them and said, "where do you think you're going?" They thought the bouncer was out for them.  Then he said, "Mr. Hagar says you aren't taking a cab."  And they got a limo to take them to their hotel.  Pretty awesome dude, that Sammy Hagar.  His biggest sin is not being David Lee Roth.

Haha that’s awesome. Definitely on my retirement list

• Like 1