Around the NFL - 2022 edition

Forge

2 hours ago, Forge said:

Interesting. He actually went to their OTAs and all that I had thought. 

He did. 

I remember when Deebo was getting blasted for not showing up to voluntary workouts, while Terry had showed up. Obviously, that meant Terry is a great leader while Deebo is a diva. That was something I heard multiple people say. 

Im sure we won't hear anything about how great of a leader Deebo is today!

3 hours ago, adamq said:

Sooo even if Watson gets suspended for the next two years, we still have zero leverage over Cleveland. Hopefully Jimmy can pass a physical somewhat soon so he'll just get cut already

Yeah, its clear that there really isn't a market there for Jimmy. Barrows suggested the 49ers would pay some of his salary which is dumb as hell. 

• Like 1

At this point, what is the advantage to releasing Jimmy? Obviously the cap space rolling over, but we may as well hold onto him through TC if no trade materializes by then and see if there are any injuries to starters. 

I understand that we probably don't want him around while Trey is trying to assert himself as a leader, but if it was me I'd just hold onto him for now and see what happens. 

7 minutes ago, GW21 said:

At this point, what is the advantage to releasing Jimmy? Obviously the cap space rolling over, but we may as well hold onto him through TC if no trade materializes by then and see if there are any injuries to starters. 

I understand that we probably don't want him around while Trey is trying to assert himself as a leader, but if it was me I'd just hold onto him for now and see what happens. 

There is no deadline before the start of the season when his salary basically becomes guaranteed. 

As a favor to Jimmy, if he wants a chance to latch on somewhere, it is best to cut him as soon as possible as he will have to learn a new playbook and all that jazz. So if they cut him before the season, its probably for his benefit. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Forge said:

There is no deadline before the start of the season when his salary basically becomes guaranteed. 

As a favor to Jimmy, if he wants a chance to latch on somewhere, it is best to cut him as soon as possible as he will have to learn a new playbook and all that jazz. So if they cut him before the season, its probably for his benefit. 

I totally get this view on it, and wouldn't be upset with it. Jimmy did a lot to help turn this team around, and if he wants to be cut loose, I would grant it. 

It does seem like a lot of people are pushing for us to cut him just for the sake of cutting him though. I don't see any reason to do that unless, like you said, he requests it and we can't find a trade partner. 

10 minutes ago, GW21 said:

I totally get this view on it, and wouldn't be upset with it. Jimmy did a lot to help turn this team around, and if he wants to be cut loose, I would grant it. 

It does seem like a lot of people are pushing for us to cut him just for the sake of cutting him though. I don't see any reason to do that unless, like you said, he requests it and we can't find a trade partner. 

Honestly, it may get to a point where Jimmy and his agent actually feel like it's a better idea for his long term future to sit and back up Lance for a year if the niners will pay him like 10-12 million to do it. There's a part of me that wonders if he and his agent arent considering the possibility that going and being a starter for someone like Seattle this year would do more damage to standing in the league than sitting around as a backup for a year. 

36 minutes ago, Forge said:

Honestly, it may get to a point where Jimmy and his agent actually feel like it's a better idea for his long term future to sit and back up Lance for a year if the niners will pay him like 10-12 million to do it. There's a part of me that wonders if he and his agent arent considering the possibility that going and being a starter for someone like Seattle this year would do more damage to standing in the league than sitting around as a backup for a year. 

I don't think our staff would want to do that with Trey taking over. You know that the first sign of trouble with Trey, fans are going to turn on him and start the Jimmy chants. I don't think our staff wants to allow that to happen. 

I think Jimmy eventually gets traded still, but we'll see. How opposed would you all be in trading Jimmy to Seattle? The more I think about it, the more I'd be ok with it. I think Jimmy's a good QB, but I think he'd be picking grass out of his helmet all day against our front behind that O-Line. 

43 minutes ago, GW21 said:

I don't think our staff would want to do that with Trey taking over. You know that the first sign of trouble with Trey, fans are going to turn on him and start the Jimmy chants. I don't think our staff wants to allow that to happen. 

I think Jimmy eventually gets traded still, but we'll see. How opposed would you all be in trading Jimmy to Seattle? The more I think about it, the more I'd be ok with it. I think Jimmy's a good QB, but I think he'd be picking grass out of his helmet all day against our front behind that O-Line. 

I'm not putting anything past this staff. I'd agree with you in principle, but sometimes I'm at a loss for the actions this staff takes. 

They clearly don't give two craps about what fans will and won't do. They are elite trolls sometimes haha 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, GW21 said:

I don't think our staff would want to [keep Jimmy] with Trey taking over. You know that the first sign of trouble with Trey, fans are going to turn on him and start the Jimmy chants. I don't think our staff wants to allow that to happen

It doesn't feel fair to Trey to complicate the situation, but to be fair, all of that noise would be outside of the building. I don't think the locker room would be divided from having Jimmy on the roster, at least initially.

I think the locker room has bought into Lance as QB1. He seems like a likeable dude, someone who is easy to make friends with. 

Seems like Jimmy has checked out and has not been in communication with anyone on the roster. Kittle said he hasn't heard from him since the season ended. Kittle and Lance have been hanging out. That says a lot to me. 

It would just take some very strong messaging from the staff about the pecking order and their expectations. Just tell the team that Trey is QB1 no matter what, barring injury. Tell them straight up that Jimmy is QB2 and is there as insurance. They aren't making the switch, even if lance throws 4 INTs in a row like Kaepernick did in Arizona that one time lol 

Jimmy said last year that all he asked for was a shot to compete. So I doubt it would be able to play out like that because I don't think Jimmy wants to ride the bench again. He backed up Brady for basically his entire rookie contract. I think he wants to play, or at least have a shot to beat out another QB for the job. 

12 hours ago, Forge said:

Honestly, it may get to a point where Jimmy and his agent actually feel like it's a better idea for his long term future to sit and back up Lance for a year if the niners will pay him like 10-12 million to do it.

It still feels like more trouble than it's worth, considering 10-12m is basically 2 starting caliber players. 

I understand why having QB depth is very important, and I can see a scenario Kyle is stubborn enough to think this is a good idea and that the locker room could handle it 

Not sure what you do with the STUDfeld but I guess he can be convinced to choose to stay as a PS QB for another year. He's got some guaranteed money. I wonder if he has offset language because if not, he could double dip if we cut him and someone else signs him to their 53. If he does have offset language, there is less financial incentive for him to sign elsewhere, but maybe he wants to be active on gamedays? QB3 here isn't going to be active.

Sudfeld is active on gamedays in Houston, Cleveland for sure. Probably Miami and Carolina too. Hell, the Rams probably make him qb2 pretty soon after he gets in the building. 

If the niners keep Jimmy at a reduced salary, Kyle may have to trade sudfeld.  That leaves a big hole at QB2 in 2023. It means starting over with another journeyman or using draft capital on a backup QB. 

11 hours ago, GW21 said:

I think Jimmy eventually gets traded still, but we'll see. How opposed would you all be in trading Jimmy to Seattle? The more I think about it, the more I'd be ok with it. I think Jimmy's a good QB, but I think he'd be picking grass out of his helmet all day against our front behind that O-Line

I said a few weeks ago that we should absolutely do it. Jimmy to Seattle feels inevitable so we might as well get a draft pick out of it 

The San Francisco Giants GM said a few years ago he would almost prefer to trade with the dodgers because in the long run he was making their team weaker, while making his team stronger. 

Jimmy is already gone in my eyes, so reducing the # of Seattle picks by 1, and increasing the # of our picks by 1, is something I'd be into. It would be a 2 pick swing, in essence. 

The biggest issue is letting Seattle look under the hood at our offense. Not good. But I guess the offensive staff has turned over completely, so perhaps it is not as big of a deal as fans would think? That's probably wishful thinking on my part lol 

You're right though, we would absolutely crush him haha Bosa AA and the boys would give him those nervous feet inside the pocket. He would get hit, a lot. 

If he is healthy, he probably helps them win enough games to not get a top QB, but not enough to make the playoffs. It would be the ultimate grenade trade. 

Unfortunately, Seattle won't give us a pick but instead, he will sign there as a FA. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, N4L said:

If the niners keep Jimmy at a reduced salary, Kyle may have to trade sudfeld.  That leaves a big hole at QB2 in 2023. It means starting over with another journeyman or using draft capital on a backup QB. 

I said it during the draft and I stick by it; Purdy reminds me of Minshew. I think he'll end up making the 53 and being our primary backup by the end of the season. All of this is of course dependent on us offloading Jimmy, but I think we'll end up keeping 3 QBs with Sudfeld basically being here to help coach up Trey. 

We'll see how Purdy does in the pre-season, but I think he'll do enough to stick around on our 53. 

3 hours ago, GW21 said:

I said it during the draft and I stick by it; Purdy reminds me of Minshew. I think he'll end up making the 53 and being our primary backup by the end of the season. All of this is of course dependent on us offloading Jimmy, but I think we'll end up keeping 3 QBs with Sudfeld basically being here to help coach up Trey. 

We'll see how Purdy does in the pre-season, but I think he'll do enough to stick around on our 53. 

Nah, purdy is on the PS this season, assuming that sudfeld isn't the PS QB

It's very unlikely we keep 3QBs on the roster, and if we do, I would say it's a less than 1% chance it's to keep Brock Purdy as the third QB. 

It serves no benefit to us to have him in the 53. He's not ready to play. He won't get any practice reps during the season.

He is Mr irrelevant for a reason. He would be irrelevant as the 53rd guy on the roster, and with the depth we have at RB/DL etc, it's better to keep an extra guy there, or from a weak spot like the OL, over Brock Purdy, without question. 

You can like the player and still think he should be on the PS for the next two years, at least. 

2 hours ago, N4L said:

Nah, purdy is on the PS this season, assuming that sudfeld isn't the PS QB

It's very unlikely we keep 3QBs on the roster, and if we do, I would say it's a less than 1% chance it's to keep Brock Purdy as the third QB. 

It serves no benefit to us to have him in the 53. He's not ready to play. He won't get any practice reps during the season.

He is Mr irrelevant for a reason. He would be irrelevant as the 53rd guy on the roster, and with the depth we have at RB/DL etc, it's better to keep an extra guy there, or from a weak spot like the OL, over Brock Purdy, without question. 

You can like the player and still think he should be on the PS for the next two years, at least. 

It's not out of the question that we carry 3 QBs. We've done it multiple times with this regime. I'm not necessarily advocating for it. Personally I would put Nate Sudfeld on the PS, but we gave him more guaranteed than we should have. If you think you've got a good backup under team control for 4 years, you don't want to expose him or lose that 4 year contract. 

We'll see what happens in the pre-season. I could be completely wrong and he could be awful, but I guess we'll see what happens.