2022 NFL Draftstravaganza Day 1 Discussion

MOSteelers56

36 minutes ago, warfelg said:

In a way he reminds me of (deep breath as I brace for the blowback)….

….a young Ben Roethlisberger. 

Having watched Roethlisberger in college I can honestly say "No.  No he doesn't" But if it helps everyone sleep at night then sure.  

the worse case with Picket does not feel all that bad. he does not workout, we're back in the QB market in 2 yrs. won't be the 1st time a mid-1st rd pick did not pan out...I think he's worth the risk at pick 20. I don't think the future of this franchise is on his shoulders the way it is with Jag/lawerance, Wilson/jets, Fields/bears etc...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

In a way he reminds me of (deep breath as I brace for the blowback)….

….a young Ben Roethlisberger. 

I can't see Ben in him, but there is definitely room and potential for improvement.

Edit:

This may have already been posted, but I've never seen Tomlin this happy. Not for Watt, not for Shazier, not for Bush.

https://twitter.com/Steelersdepot/status/1519877765268336640?s=20&t=D468Ot7WTPJwB7qsMianPg

Edited by BradfordSteeler

I'm somewhat ambivalent on the pick. On the plus side, steelers got their top QB and they have a high success rate in round 1. Also, Greg Cosell, who I really like, seems to view him as a high-end prospect (argues for him as a top 5-10 guy). On the downside, the general consensus seems to be he's a high floor, low ceiling prospect--which is hard to love. 

6 minutes ago, August4th said:

the worse case with Picket does not feel all that bad. he does not workout, we're back in the QB market in 2 yrs. won't be the 1st time a mid-1st rd pick did not pan out...I think he's worth the risk at pick 20. I don't think the future of this franchise is on his shoulders the way it is with Jag/lawerance, Wilson/jets, Fields/bears etc...

I think the concern with him is that his floor is high enough so that he won't completely bust but not good enough to truly carry you, which leaves you in the dreaded QB purgatory. Only time will tell

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Steelers22 said:

I think the concern with him is that his floor is high enough so that he won't completely bust but not good enough to truly carry you, which leaves you in the dreaded QB purgatory. Only time will tell

true

we've seen the steelers have high success with these kind of QB's. 4 AFC title games with O'donnel and stewart.

ya'll down for a decade of heartbreaking AFC title game loses again?

• Like 1

Just my .02, but the two things I am doing today is calling OBJ to check on his knee and then I’m reaching out to the 49ers to see a price tag on Deebo. 

Our first next year, now that we have taken a QB, is an asset that can be flipped. The 49ers were taken off guard by this trade request and now the highest value they can get is a 2023 first. They don’t want to send him to the Packers or anyone else in the NFC. 

The Steelers sped up the timeline by taking Pickett - so go be aggressive during the 5 years you get on his rookie deal. 

• Like 2

I think they wanted more of a system style QB, which tbh looks like the future of the position. Pickett can do that. He's going to look better than Ben did his last couple years. Pickett will be able to throw the intermediate stuff and the stuff in the middle of the field. He can get the ball to weapons in space. He is smart and hopefully won't take unnecessary risks and throw a lot of picks. I think if Canada can scheme something up, we'll be looking pretty good. We need another weapon for him, though. I think the offense has gotten better from last year. Najee will have more room to run because of an improved IOL and now we have a QB that won't bottle up the defense right on the LOS. Diontae and Chase will probably look better now that they have a QB that can hit them in stride. We've got an offense built to protect a young QB. Good RB, good TE, solid O-line, great defense. I'd love to get Skyy Moore or George Pickens in the second and Phidarian Mathis or Leo Chenal in the 3rd. That would bolster the only two fairly weak positions we have left. 

5 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Just my .02, but the two things I am doing today is calling OBJ to check on his knee and then I’m reaching out to the 49ers to see a price tag on Deebo. 

Our first next year, now that we have taken a QB, is an asset that can be flipped. The 49ers were taken off guard by this trade request and now the highest value they can get is a 2023 first. They don’t want to send him to the Packers or anyone else in the NFC. 

The Steelers sped up the timeline by taking Pickett - so go be aggressive during the 5 years you get on his rookie deal. 

Yeah, I think we're pushing all in for Kenny's rookie deal. I don't think we'll go after Deebo even though he'd be awesome for our offense. 

11 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Rather go get DK Metcalf and pay him I’m in agreement with being aggressive.

47 minutes ago, BradfordSteeler said:

I can't see Ben in him, but there is definitely room and potential for improvement.

I see a young Ben in that he’s mobile, looks to throw before he runs, good size, decent arm.  I think he reads the field better than Ben at 24 years old.  Doesn’t withstand getting hit as well.

But I think the curve is going to be similar.  Run the ball, play strong defense, be opportunistic in the passing game.