2022 NFL Draftstravaganza Day 1 Discussion

MOSteelers56

Happy it was Pickett. Relieved it wasnt Ridder. I was actually getting nauseous for the first time in all my years of following the draft at the thought of that pick in the 1st round. Like somehow rolling up the terror of Artie Burns, Terrell Edmunds, Alonzo Jackson, Jamain Stephens & Troy Edwards all up into one pick. The mistakes like Burns and Edmunds I really couldn't have foreseen, they just made them, so I didnt have time be upset in advance. 

Hoping for a good safety or WR in the second. Maybe we could trade away a WR or two ;). Marcus Jones maybe..

Edited by JustPlainNasty
  • Like 1

Can someone tell me the difference between Pickett and Burrow as prospects coming out? I see so many similarities. I know Burrow’s last season was one of the best in College football history, but Pickett’s was impressive as hell too.

This isn’t me trying to hype up Pickett, I’m genuinely asking. I watched enough Pitt games last year that I kind of ignored Pickett during the pre draft process. What’s the big difference between him and Burrow?

My biggest problem with this pick is it just screams complacency. I genuinely think Tomlin is cool with our ceiling being 11 wins and losing in the 2nd round every year. 

Side note: we better nail the rest of this draft. This pick has me praying we go WR in the 2nd. There’s still some good ones left (please Pickens). 

4 hours ago, brownie man said:

We’re not scared of Kenny Pickett at all 

I hope we go pass rusher tomorrow to put even more pressure on his *** 

Hey bud I know being a Browns fan must be tough but there’s better ways to cope with your insecurities than trolling on a football message board. 

Edited by bigben07MVP

2nd round wishlist (in order of ESPNs best available):

1. Nakobe Dean

2. Andrew Booth Jr

3. Arnold Ebiketie

4. David Ojabo

5. Kyler Gordon

6. Christian Watson

7. Skyy Moore

8. Travis Jones

9. Logan Hall

10. Roger McCreary

11. Drake Jackson

12. John Metchie III

13. Christian Harris

14. George Pickens

15. DeMarvin Leal

16. Nik Bonnito

17. Leo Chenal

18. Jalen Torbert

I would genuinely be happy with any of these guys. Still so much talent left. I was shocked to see Pickens as ESPNs 27th best player remaining. As I mentioned yesterday I think he’ll be there if we want him.

1 hour ago, bigben07MVP said:

Can someone tell me the difference between Pickett and Burrow as prospects coming out? I see so many similarities. I know Burrow’s last season was one of the best in College football history, but Pickett’s was impressive as hell too.

This isn’t me trying to hype up Pickett, I’m genuinely asking. I watched enough Pitt games last year that I kind of ignored Pickett during the pre draft process. What’s the big difference between him and Burrow?

My biggest problem with this pick is it just screams complacency. I genuinely think Tomlin is cool with our ceiling being 11 wins and losing in the 2nd round every year. 

Side note: we better nail the rest of this draft. This pick has me praying we go WR in the 2nd. There’s still some good ones left (please Pickens). 

Burrow was a transfer from tOSU and only played 2 years as a starter.  He showed promise in his 2nd year.  Pickett was a 4 year starter that looked like crap for 3 of those years before he finally "got it".  That is 4 years in the same system.  As long as the Steelers are comfortable with working him along for 3 years with no change in the system, he may turn out good.  I think they spent a 1st round pick on a career backup

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Burrow was a transfer from tOSU and only played 2 years as a starter.  He showed promise in his 2nd year.  Pickett was a 4 year starter that looked like crap for 3 of those years before he finally "got it".  That is 4 years in the same system.  As long as the Steelers are comfortable with working him along for 3 years with no change in the system, he may turn out good.  I think they spent a 1st round pick on a career backup

I was more asking from a physical standpoint. On the surface they look like almost identical prospects (even down to the small hands) so I’m asking what stands Burrow apart in that regard. 

Can you confidently say Pickett broke out last year because he finally was able to “get” the system? Maybe it was something else in his development?

Again I know that you probably know better than me, I’m just playing devils advocate/trying to talk myself into the pick.

I would compare Pickett to Andy Dalton rather than Burrow.  That is closer to the truth and his ceiling

They obviously felt the need to build around high-character guys, but they then overdrafted 4 in a row. Intangibles are awesome but sometimes you have to add top talent, especially to a team with lots of #2s and #3s starting for it. They’re missing superstars, especially on the offensive side.

Pickett will likely do a good job of taking what the defense gives him, what the coach wants him to do, will scramble a little. I expect him to be like a backup QB starting for you. Might work for some games/for a while, but teams will figure him out and he’ll plummet because he doesn’t have elite talent to fall back on. If you have elite talent you can take your lumps and learn the game to get better. If your knowledge of the game is already high for a college player, there’s less room to improve.

Edited by jebrick
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

Can you confidently say Pickett broke out last year because he finally was able to “get” the system? Maybe it was something else in his development?

He’s talked a lot about how improving his deep ball really helped open things up for him. 

5 minutes ago, BradfordSteeler said:

Which can still be improved more with more work in my opinion, he has unfulfilled arm talent because of his footwork.

In a way he reminds me of (deep breath as I brace for the blowback)….

….a young Ben Roethlisberger.