2022 NFL Draftstravaganza Day 1 Discussion

MOSteelers56

Anyone else catch the fact that Louis Riddick was going to the mats defending Pickett? Like he was really going to extremes even this morning on the radio he was doing it. Got me wondering if he’s still in the running for GM and either really licked Pickett or didn’t want to piss off people he could be working with. 

1 minute ago, warfelg said:

Anyone else catch the fact that Louis Riddick was going to the mats defending Pickett? Like he was really going to extremes even this morning on the radio he was doing it. Got me wondering if he’s still in the running for GM and either really licked Pickett or didn’t want to piss off people he could be working with. 

I think its just him being a Pitt homer + liking Pickett

STRENGTHS: High-level awareness in almost every facet of playing the position … balanced, efficient throwing mechanics … naturally accurate regardless of his base and throws a catchable ball … composed and timely when working through his reads (he understands the situation and defense) … trusts his targets to be in the correct spot and confidently delivers before his receiver is looking … doesn’t have an elite arm, but can drive the football from the opposite hash … shows the functional mobility to escape the rush and throw accurately from different platforms (more comfortable throwing when scrambling to his right) … senses where the heat is coming from and maneuvers without dropping his eyes … identifies pressures pre-snap and alters the protection … routinely reminds us of his toughness both in the pocket and as a scrambler (played through a surgically repaired ankle during the 2020 season) … egoless competitor who has seen the fruits of his labor … three-time team captain (Pitt offensive coordinator Mark Whipple: “He has great leadership, and he’s thought of at a high level by his teammates and coaches.”) … set single-season passing records at Pitt with his 2021 campaign, including 42 passing touchdowns, which broke Deshaun Watson’s ACC record of 41 … set the Pitt career records for passing yards (12,303), completions (1,045), total offense (13,112) and total touchdowns (102). [5]

WEAKNESSES: Smaller hands (8 1/2 inches) and wore gloves on both hands in college … has a history of ball security issues with 38 career fumbles at Pitt (six fumbles in 2021) … his pocket presence remains a work-in-progress … doesn’t always trust the protection, which is a result of him getting beat up on the 2020 tape … benefited from above average offensive line play in 2021 (averaged 3.2 seconds per dropback, second-highest in the FBS) … the ball doesn’t explode off his hand … average deep-ball accuracy, and some of his downfield passes don’t have enough juice … guilty of forcing throws across his body and into tight windows … trusts his eyes and his receivers more than he should … had surgery on his left ankle (October 2020) and missed two games as a junior.

SUMMARY: A four-year starter at Pittsburgh, Pickett played in offensive coordinator Mark Whipple’s shotgun, pro-style scheme and took a substantial jump in performance between his junior and senior seasons (Whipple: “Experience doesn’t happen overnight.”). Pitt’s all-time leading passer, he passed Hall of Famer Dan Marino in all of the school’s major statistical passing categories and led the program to its first ACC Championship in 2021, finishing top-five in the country in almost every passing category. Pickett shows outstanding instincts as a passer with his ability to throw receivers open and make quick-reaction decisions. While his confidence is more of a strength than a weakness, he will get greedy at times forcing throws into tight coverage and writing checks his arm can’t cash. Overall, Pickett has some skittish tendencies, and the hand size (throws with a glove) will be a factor for some teams, but his football IQ, functional mobility and accuracy from various platforms are an impressive package. He projects as an immediate starter who can be an upgrade for several NFL teams.

GRADE: 1st-2nd Round (No. 30 overall)

Just sharing from Dane Brugler's list on the Athletic from behind the pay wall. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

The thing that I notice about Pickett(which is only from highlights, I'm no scout) is that he leads his targets. Especially this last year. He seemed to always hit his guys in stride. That will be a sight for sore eyes after seeing, post Martavis Bryant, Ben. 

Outside of a 5 or 6 year window, Ben always had issues hitting his WRs in stride.

Early in his career he had the arm, but I remember him regularly underthrowing WRs.   It wasnt all his fault, since he didnt have any speed demons until he got Wallace, and I think he was worried about overthrowing guys.    Then, from about 2010 to 2015, he became one of the better deep ball throwers in the league.   After that, his arm strength and deep accuracy began to diminish and he lost his deep threat guys.    

And its been at least 4 years since we had any semblance of a deep passing game.

• Like 1

Here is who DR43 would be drafting the rest of the way if he were the GM:
Round 2:  Nakobe Dean ILB Georgia
Round 3: Kyler Gordon CB Washington
Round 4: Arnold Ebiketie EDGE Penn State
Round 6: Bernhard Raimann OT Central Michigan
Round 7a: Logan Hall DLman Houston
Round 7b: Skyy Moore WR W. Michigan

Just like that I got six starters in day 2 and 3 of the draft.

4 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

The last 1st rounder I was immediately happy about was David Decastro. 

Bud Dupree for me

looking up our 1st rd picks in the last 20 yr. Colbert era came out on fire. 2 HOf players in Troy/ben + multiple pro bowl level players and only plax was a top 10 pick. The worse picks were Hood, Rashard and simmons, but they still were able to stay in the NFL for 5+ yrs. 2013 is when things started to cool down