Jets select Jermaine Johnson ll with the 26th pick

Abe56

27 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

So one team exec, I think NFC, said that Johnson was further down his teams board and possibly others because 1. the media hype propped up his stock more than it truly was. But 2. They, the team in question, didn't like that his sack numbers were not consistent with his hurries and QB hits. Pair that with his lack of production in Georgia's defense(however it is funnty that Travon Walker's lack of production got him #1 overall) and age all likely dropped him down. But Saleh and Douglas thought otherwise and had him rated #8 on our board. Time will tell who's right but getting him at #26 regardless of how it turns out is crazy considering he would have been the pick at #10 if Wilson goes to Atlanta.

I am sure the senior bowl appearance by JJ also endeared him to the Jets. 

So there’s a rumor floating around that he might have “something” that made him slip. Heard a few people say this. But no one seems to know what it is. The rumor is that several teams had him ranked really high, but there’s no reason he fell that late for no reason. That something had to be going on. Hope it’s not true, and very well might not be. Just does kind of line up with why he’d slip 15 picks nearly.

53 minutes ago, xrade said:

I am sure the senior bowl appearance by JJ also endeared him to the Jets. 

Yup, seeing him work likely removed any doubt any metrics highlighted. 

Oddly enough we drafted 4 Senior Bowl players, 3 of which we didn’t coach and the we did didn’t even play.

11 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

So there’s a rumor floating around that he might have “something” that made him slip. Heard a few people say this. But no one seems to know what it is. The rumor is that several teams had him ranked really high, but there’s no reason he fell that late for no reason. That something had to be going on. Hope it’s not true, and very well might not be. Just does kind of line up with why he’d slip 15 picks nearly.

He didn't slip.  He was a projected late 1st early SRP.  He rose because of his offseason workouts.  

1 hour ago, xrade said:

He didn't slip.  He was a projected late 1st early SRP.  He rose because of his offseason workouts.  

Well then he would've been an awful pick at 10 then if Wilson wasn't still there as the reports suggest. 

6 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Well then he would've been an awful pick at 10 then if Wilson wasn't still there as the reports suggest. 

LOL and people wanted him at 4! Honestly it was a very odd draft to project. Joe Douglas played it so perfectly to maximize the talent we got with our picks. To suggest our trade ups were bad business is down right ridiculous and why the guys at PFF are not credible what so ever. You ALWAYS slightly overpay to move up...that is how it works. Nobody is letting you move up for under face value. Not to mention our move ups cost us very little and we moved up where the sweet spot of the draft was..late 1st early second. Joe Douglas has done a brilliant job. The winning now is on the coaching staff and QB. The roster has plenty of talent to be competitive. 

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

If Wilson wasn't there at 10 I still think the Jets would have gone WR. Even the Jets were not going to pick him at 10 if Wilson was gone.  I believe the Jets rated JJ higher than some teams because of the senior bowl.  They got up close with him and he won them over.  It could be a good thing if he plays like we all hope he will.  Or it could be a bad thing if he flames out and we look like fools for falling for it.

I am still not the biggest fan of JJ but I have no proof other than gut feel which is kind of silly.  Regardless, he was selected at 26 which is a decent slot for him if you agree with the pre-offseason stuff.  He was late 1st, early 2nd and his offseason moved him up a bit.  I don't buy into the moving up a whole round just because of workouts.

10 minutes ago, xrade said:

If Wilson wasn't there at 10 I still think the Jets would have gone WR. Even the Jets were not going to pick him at 10 if Wilson was gone.  I believe the Jets rated JJ higher than some teams because of the senior bowl.  They got up close with him and he won them over.  It could be a good thing if he plays like we all hope he will.  Or it could be a bad thing if he flames out and we look like fools for falling for it.

I am still not the biggest fan of JJ but I have no proof other than gut feel which is kind of silly.  Regardless, he was selected at 26 which is a decent slot for him if you agree with the pre-offseason stuff.  He was late 1st, early 2nd and his offseason moved him up a bit.  I don't buy into the moving up a whole round just because of workouts.

I thought I read that the report was that if Wilson wasn't there we were drafting JJ there. So if his true grade around the league was that late 1st early 2nd... Thank God Wilson was there, bc by other NFL team standards... JJ would've been a reach pick at 10. 

28 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I thought I read that the report was that if Wilson wasn't there we were drafting JJ there. So if his true grade around the league was that late 1st early 2nd... Thank God Wilson was there, bc by other NFL team standards... JJ would've been a reach pick at 10. 

Yeah Saleh said if Wilson wasn’t there then Johnson was the pick. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KimuraGod said:

Would you expect him to say anything different though? 

In the context of how he was speaking he was just saying how unpredictable the draft is. Douglas had already said we got 3 of our top 8 meaning we had players ranked higher than Johnson and Wilson and it’s just the board fell to us beautifully and Joe maneuvered his way around to the guys we did. 

Honestly he's probably my least favorite pick.  Has some real question marks when it comes to pass rush.  Super high floor because of his fantastic run defense but not nearly the pass rusher we should be expecting.  In terms of pass rusher probably not top 5 in this class.  It was his ability to play 3 downs that got him drafted this high not his ability to rush the passer.  I'll be shocked if he's ever a 10+ sack guy.  8-9 sacks with excellent run defense could be his ceiling which will be good.  There is a correlation between college pressure rates and NFL pass rushers and JJ fell short.  Not saying he can't be an outlier but it's a red flag.  Guys like Ekibete and Mafe were higher on my board as a pure Leo in this defense but we needed a more of a 5-tech (big end) which is why I think JD and Saleh had him rated higher.  Huff, Lawson, Martin, Curry all better Leo's in this defense.     

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Honestly he's probably my least favorite pick.  Has some real question marks when it comes to pass rush.  Super high floor because of his fantastic run defense but not nearly the pass rusher we should be expecting.  In terms of pass rusher probably not top 5 in this class.  It was his ability to play 3 downs that got him drafted this high not his ability to rush the passer.  I'll be shocked if he's ever a 10+ sack guy.  8-9 sacks with excellent run defense could be his ceiling which will be good.  There is a correlation between college pressure rates and NFL pass rushers and JJ fell short.  Not saying he can't be an outlier but it's a red flag.  Guys like Ekibete and Mafe were higher on my board as a pure Leo in this defense but we needed a more of a 5-tech (big end) which is why I think JD and Saleh had him rated higher.  Huff, Lawson, Martin, Curry all better Leo's in this defense.     

Lawson is the Leo JJ will play strong side Edge

9 minutes ago, Dr.O said:

Lawson is the Leo JJ will play strong side Edge

Yeah exactly what I said.  I was just pointing out that JJ shouldn't be expected to be a 10+ sack guy for us consistently.  I think they had JJ higher graded because of fit given our other edges are all Leo's in this defense with only JFM as a strong side edge on the roster.  The Clemons pick makes sense too because he's another strong edge so there is now balance at DE.

Edited by Rockice_8