Jets select Jermaine Johnson ll with the 26th pick

Abe56

TBH there were no DEs in this draft that were Von Miller, Myles Garrett types. I think we landed a guy who is going to work hard, be productive and an asset to a team. A lot of DL around the league think we got a stud. He looks the part, he has the long arms and athleticism. I think that this is the guy that finally gives us a productive DE that we haven't drafted since Abraham. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

I'm very happy with this pick but there is a reason he fell. I think he is like Deion Jones. 

I don't think he fell at all.  Pre-offseason stuff he was a high day 2 pick  After senior bowl and combine the talking heads had him going top 10.  He went where he was supposed to go.  A little higher than day 2 because of the workouts but not a full round higher like they all said.  Teh Jets may have been a little higher on him because of the senior bowl.

JJ will be worked into the rotation slowly.  I expect no more than 20% - 25% snap share for the first half of the season.  He'll end up with about 4-6 sacks and get some pressures.  I don't expect crazy stats.  

1 hour ago, xrade said:

I don't think he fell at all.  Pre-offseason stuff he was a high day 2 pick  After senior bowl and combine the talking heads had him going top 10.  He went where he was supposed to go.  A little higher than day 2 because of the workouts but not a full round higher like they all said.  Teh Jets may have been a little higher on him because of the senior bowl.

JJ will be worked into the rotation slowly.  I expect no more than 20% - 25% snap share for the first half of the season.  He'll end up with about 4-6 sacks and get some pressures.  I don't expect crazy stats.  

I think this is fair for going #26 as a DE. You want your top 5 guys churning out sacks like Bosa and Watt, and if the NFL thought JJ was that type of guy he would have went there - but they don't and he didn't.

Who knows how he turns out, but he was definitely drafted in a fitting spot.

3 minutes ago, NJerseypaint said:

I think this is fair for going #26 as a DE. You want your top 5 guys churning out sacks like Bosa and Watt, and if the NFL thought JJ was that type of guy he would have went there - but they don't and he didn't.

Who knows how he turns out, but he was definitely drafted in a fitting spot.

He’s a steal at 26. If he was a year younger… he’d been a top 10 pick easily 

1 hour ago, xrade said:

This, if anything he rose his stock. He wasn't being talked about much. He is a good football player, plays hard and is coachable. Not only that but he obviously has talent, the athleticism is there. He is 6'5 254 and tested well, real long arms as well. 

The Jets attempted to trade up for him since pick 15, so to get him at 26 was a great value for them.  

They said before the draft that this draft had good DEs, but none on the level of Bosa, Von Miller and Garrett. 

So one team exec, I think NFC, said that Johnson was further down his teams board and possibly others because 1. the media hype propped up his stock more than it truly was. But 2. They, the team in question, didn't like that his sack numbers were not consistent with his hurries and QB hits. Pair that with his lack of production in Georgia's defense(however it is funnty that Travon Walker's lack of production got him #1 overall) and age all likely dropped him down. But Saleh and Douglas thought otherwise and had him rated #8 on our board. Time will tell who's right but getting him at #26 regardless of how it turns out is crazy considering he would have been the pick at #10 if Wilson goes to Atlanta.