Round 2 Pick 34; Christian Watson, WR, NDSU

Packerraymond

57 minutes ago, JordanLoveFTW said:

10 yard split is a straight line. No it doesn’t equate to winning on lateral breaks. That’s the biggest difference I have in my view of him and ya’alls. 

Too bad a 10 yard sprint is a 1x use ability per play.

Edited by squire12

He won on go routes and come back routes in college. I saw one back shoulder that looked really natural. I think with a better QB, you could unlock that part of his game. 

You obviously play him to his strengths like they did at NDSU. 

I think he shows a lot of promise as a vertical #2 WR. 700-1000 yard seasons. A good player and a good pick with a lot of big plays. MVS didn’t have a comeback route or a back shoulder and he was still a good player. 

I don’t think he’s going to come to the NFL and all of a sudden start winning on slants, outs and digs. I think his limitations follow him. He’s 23 years old and came from a football family. This isn’t some 20 year old kid who just wasn’t asked to run routes in college. 

Edited by JordanLoveFTW

14 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Senior Bowl 1 on 1

Wins on

in breaking route

Comeback

In breaking route

Back shoulder

Out breaking route

Stutter and go

Out breaking route

in breaking route

in breaking route

This is probably the best evidence I’ve seen of him having that upside. I have it as a giant red flag that he didn’t win on those in college. That said, the corners don’t have any help in those 1 v 1’s. It’s a big advantage for the offense. But good point. 

Alright you guys, I’m half arguing just to argue. 

He has a skillset that can win right now and be a productive player in year 1.  (Go routes, come backs, back shoulders, screens and jet sweeps) Hes more well rounded than MVS right out of the gate. 

His weaker spots can be refined with hard work and experience I’m sure. But even if he mostly ends up leaning into his strengths, he can still be a 1,000 yard guy. 

He’s probably a good pick. I’m just giving you guys a little ****. 

I think he looks really natural back shouldering. He did it a little at NDSU but I think Rodgers will get more out of that. That’s a really good change up to his go route. The come back is another good change up. The things he does really play off each other well. Even if he’s not a big slant or out-route guy, he’s got a nice little bag or tricks that he can win with right now. 

I’ve never seen a 6’4” guy so explosive with the ball in his hands. 

He’s an exciting player. 

And I’m being a **** comparing him to all time greats. I know it’s ridiculous. He probably isn’t going to be all world at every route and that’s not really a knock. 

1 hour ago, JordanLoveFTW said:

This is probably the best evidence I’ve seen of him having that upside. I have it as a giant red flag that he didn’t win on those in college. That said, the corners don’t have any help in those 1 v 1’s. It’s a big advantage for the offense. But good point. 

I’ve been pointing this out for weeks. Now, go watch Doubs and Jalen Tolbert.

Edited by TheEagle
  • Like 1

How many of these in/ out breaking routes did he run in college and NOT win on?

Didn't doesn't mean can't 

• Like 1

Alright you guys, I’m half arguing just to argue. 

He has a skillset that can win right now and be a productive player in year 1.  (Go routes, come backs, back shoulders, screens and jet sweeps) Hes more well rounded than MVS right out of the gate. 

His weaker spots can be refined with hard work and experience I’m sure. But even if he mostly ends up leaning into his strengths, he can still be a 1,000 yard guy. 

He’s probably a good pick. I’m just giving you guys a little ****. 

Shocked Season 4 GIF by The Office

Or....

Reverse Fran Healy GIF by Travis

• Like 3

Watson on go routes and fly routes will be awesome, back shoulder stuff will be a work in progress.  His issue will be the down and out and down and ins.  Watch his feet as he slows to make a sharp cut.  Those 3 or 4 short choppy steps going into the cut have to change.  NFL DBs will have his lunch on those steps.  They may have to stick to the routes and plays to get him the ball where he can just outrun people until he develops further.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, NFLGURU said:

Watson on go routes and fly routes will be awesome, back shoulder stuff will be a work in progress.  His issue will be the down and out and down and ins.  Watch his feet as he slows to make a sharp cut.  Those 3 or 4 short choppy steps going into the cut have to change.  NFL DBs will have his lunch on those steps.  They may have to stick to the routes and plays to get him the ball where he can just outrun people until he develops further.

My son worked with a semi-pro qb when he was a HS receiver. He was teaching that chopping feet stuff as a way to decelerate and change direction. Maybe that’s a technique at some levels. This had me curious so I looked for what was out there. The science is pretty clear on using body angle and precise footwork to create both deception and explosive energy into and out of cuts. Think of how pretty Davante’s feet were while getting off the line! He is a master.

Let’s see if that aspect of Watson’s game improves with time. It certainly did with Adams.