Round 3 Pick 92; Sean Rhyan OL, UCLA

Packerraymond

https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/packers-snap-counts-v-minnesota-week-17-2023-754

Runyan 42, Rhyan 39.  So again looks like ~50-50 split.  Can't say I noticed much.  I had hoped that Rhyan would be a transformative force in the run game, but I'm not sure I've seen any noticable pattern of successfully running behind Rhyan, or drive-blocking moving-the-line-forward with him versus Runyan.  

Certainly no evidence that he needs to be replaced.  If they open next season with Rhyan full-time and otherwise the same starting line, we'll still all be super hopeful that the offense will be excellent.  

6 minutes ago, craig said:

https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/packers-snap-counts-v-minnesota-week-17-2023-754

Runyan 42, Rhyan 39.  So again looks like ~50-50 split.  Can't say I noticed much.  I had hoped that Rhyan would be a transformative force in the run game, but I'm not sure I've seen any noticable pattern of successfully running behind Rhyan, or drive-blocking moving-the-line-forward with him versus Runyan.  

Certainly no evidence that he needs to be replaced.  If they open next season with Rhyan full-time and otherwise the same starting line, we'll still all be super hopeful that the offense will be excellent.  

Most games when Rhyan comes in the run game started to show some juice. He does move people in the run game. Myers looks better in the run game when he's in there as well. 

I think Collinsworth nailed it last night. The offensive line is starting to jell and no longer seems to be a weakness of the offense. 

• Like 3

Just now, Old Guy said:

Most games when Rhyan comes in the run game started to show some juice. He does move people in the run game. Myers looks better in the run game when he's in there as well. ....

Thanks for that observation.  Heh heh, I figured you as the captain of Team-Rhyan should be the one to be noticing either way!  Even some incremental improvement in the composite run-blocking should help; obviously having Jones back helps; and I think having clearly identified now as a passing team helps the run game.  

Never likely to have dominant run-blocking with tackles like Walker and Tom.  And I don't get the sense that Jenkins is the run-blocker that he used to be, either.  

I'd be curious to see the distribution of run angles.  Yesterday it seemed to me that most run plays angled left, not right, and that's seemed true in many recent games.  Given TE involvement and movement, I'm not sure what that means anyway.  And that may be just my imagination and misperception, beats me.  

But yeah, the o-line has definitely NOT been a liability in the passing game. Love has so much time, it's kinda amazing.  Hard to remember getting waxed by Max Crosby and the Raiders, or how totally dominated we were in game 1 versus Lions.  Flores' Vikings are one of the most blitz-oriented D's in the league, but I didn't see any problems with that at all.  Was Flores still trying to blitz, failing, and that's why we constantly had receivers ridiculously wide open?  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, craig said:

Thanks for that observation.  Heh heh, I figured you as the captain of Team-Rhyan should be the one to be noticing either way!  Even some incremental improvement in the composite run-blocking should help; obviously having Jones back helps; and I think having clearly identified now as a passing team helps the run game.  

Never likely to have dominant run-blocking with tackles like Walker and Tom.  And I don't get the sense that Jenkins is the run-blocker that he used to be, either.  

I'd be curious to see the distribution of run angles.  Yesterday it seemed to me that most run plays angled left, not right, and that's seemed true in many recent games.  Given TE involvement and movement, I'm not sure what that means anyway.  And that may be just my imagination and misperception, beats me.  

But yeah, the o-line has definitely NOT been a liability in the passing game. Love has so much time, it's kinda amazing.  Hard to remember getting waxed by Max Crosby and the Raiders, or how totally dominated we were in game 1 versus Lions.  Flores' Vikings are one of the most blitz-oriented D's in the league, but I didn't see any problems with that at all.  Was Flores still trying to blitz, failing, and that's why we constantly had receivers ridiculously wide open?  

He was my pick for breakout player this year. Not going to lie, it was more wishful thinking than anything. I do remember watching him at UCLA and wanted us to draft him. So, definitely a soft spot for this guy. 

I watched Rhyan enough when he was in there.  JRJ was better, IMO.

Rhyan flat out whiffed a lot in the run game.  No one would be on him, he'd get to the second level and then do nothing.

Rhyan hasn't done anything to make me feel like we won't try to upgrade RG via free agency or the draft.

Myers, to me, is in the same boat at center.

I feel like you can get by with them as your starters, but you want to upgrade at least one of them to make the line better.  

And of the two, I'd dare say that Rhyan still has some upside to be realized.  I think that Myers just is what he is.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Rhyan flat out whiffed a lot in the run game.  No one would be on him, he'd get to the second level and then do nothing.

Rhyan hasn't done anything to make me feel like we won't try to upgrade RG via free agency or the draft.

I feel like you can get by with them as your starters, but you want to upgrade at least one of them to make the line better.  

And of the two, I'd dare say that Rhyan still has some upside to be realized.  I think that Myers just is what he is.  

I would like to see a G, T, and C taken in the next draft, in that order. Add a RB and the offense is set. The rest of our draft should be defense and ST.

48 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

I would like to see a G, T, and C taken in the next draft, in that order. Add a RB and the offense is set. The rest of our draft should be defense and ST.

We can draft two tackles and convert one to guard, no problem.  But I get what you are saying.

Gb needs to draft OL and secondary.  Sneaky pick could be at ILB.

But the overall goal should be solidifying that line and secondary.  FA and draft.

• Like 1

On 1/1/2024 at 9:00 AM, Mazrimiv said:

Offense had 4 drives of 10+ plays last night.  I have to assume both of them played pretty well.

That is probably key.  Rhyan was really, really bad as a rookie.  I don't think he was all that great in preseason either.  Runyan had some real low lows in the middle of the season.  Both of these guys have been better as of late.  Did they finally figure it out, or has the offense finally matured to a point where every little mistake doesn't get magnified 5 times? 

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

The grades on the bottom five offensively from Sunday Night suggest you are wrong about Rhyan vs. Runyan. It's been this way every week. Myers was terrible, Jenkins was not great either. 

If we beat the Bears I would not be shocked if Rhyan if the starter in the playoffs. 

Packers PFF grades: Best, worst players from Week 17 vs. Vikings (usatoday.com)

1. C Josh Myers: 37.4
2. TE Josiah Deguara: 51.1
3. RG Jon Runyan Jr.: 53.6
4. LG Elgton Jenkins: 54.4
5. WR Samori Toure: 57.8

Edited by Old Guy

7 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

We ran for 6 yards a pop and didn't surrender a sack. No one on the OL was terrible. 

Not my grading system. I just posted the link. I will stand by Rhyan has been better than Runyan every game they've both played in. 

40 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

The grades on the bottom five offensively from Sunday Night suggest you are wrong about Rhyan vs. Runyan. It's been this way every week. Myers was terrible, Jenkins was not great either. 

If we beat the Bears I would not be shocked if Rhyan if the starter in the playoffs. 

Packers PFF grades: Best, worst players from Week 17 vs. Vikings (usatoday.com)

1. C Josh Myers: 37.4
2. TE Josiah Deguara: 51.1
3. RG Jon Runyan Jr.: 53.6
4. LG Elgton Jenkins: 54.4
5. WR Samori Toure: 57.8

So we are back at this again?  PFF's OL scores are fine if they support what you want them to?  Because I was told over and over again how bad PFF is at grading OL.

Cuz I'm telling you this.  There is no real difference to the offense when Rhyan is in there versus JRJ.  And that is with Rhyan working to the second level, he failed to do anything there.

If you are going to tell me, 100% that you knew who was in at RG without pausing the game to verify a number, I'll 100% tell you that you are lying.

And I'll LOL about Jenkins all day long.  The dude was pulling and leading some wide runs.  The more he does that, the more it tells me that he is feeling better about his knee/body.

25 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Not my grading system. I just posted the link. I will stand by Rhyan has been better than Runyan every game they've both played in. 

Week 9-16 PFF scores

Player A: 66.4, 43.4, 64.5, 53.8, 56, 47.5, 44.8, 64.4 (50.4 overall offensive grade)

Player B:  42.3, 60.1, 46.7, 54.4, 65, 66.6, 52.2, 53.6 (55.1 overall offensive grade)

Player A is Rhyan.

Player B is JRJ.

Using your own test via PFF, you were wrong.

• Like 3