Round 3 Pick 92; Sean Rhyan OL, UCLA

Packerraymond

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

I’m so sorry. I have my whip ready, just tell me how many lashes I should self-flagellate to atone for this severe transgression against you.

Nah, I started to reply, but then Tom was selected, and I couldn't delete the quote. Just my bad 

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, Brat&Beer said:

Every snap by Sean Rhyan vs Lions

I count two neutral plays where he had no one to block and every other snap was a win for him. Two instances of getting quickly to the next level as well. I'm not OL guy but he looked good to me on these snaps. Will be curious to see if his snap count increases vs KC after this game.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I count two neutral plays where he had no one to block and every other snap was a win for him. Two instances of getting quickly to the next level as well. I'm not OL guy but he looked good to me on these snaps. Will be curious to see if his snap count increases vs KC after this game.

was just going to post the same. He's impressive in run blocking, which is Runyan's weakness. He looks decent in pass protection. Stoning Hutchinson on the first one was his best pass pro rep. 

There is no downside to playing him more based on how poorly Runyan has played. 

12 hours ago, Brat&Beer said:

Every snap by Sean Rhyan vs Lions

Man, trying to critique him and find faults is a little tough.

If I were to nitpick I'd say he stands up too tall, too quick.  And he loses ground, with leverage when he stands up and those feet stop moving.

But, when he has a slight bend forward and the feet move, he must be really powerful because he drives guys really well.

And his footwork getting to the second level and sticking to a moving guy is really, really good.

I feel almost, key word, almost, like I'm watching TJ Lang work out there.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

If I were to nitpick I'd say he stands up too tall, too quick.  And he loses ground, with leverage when he stands up and those feet stop moving.

But, when he has a slight bend forward and the feet move, he must be really powerful because he drives guys really well.

And his footwork getting to the second level and sticking to a moving guy is really, really good.

Hopefully, he continues to improve to earn more playing time. With Myers' improvement, we have our interior O-line. Move Tom to LT and draft a RT on 1st or 2nd round, add a C/G in the middle rounds, and we are set for 2024.

13 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

This summarizes my confusion as to why he's not starting. Jon Runyan is not coming back next year. He's not the future. Let's find out if Rhyan can do this for a whole game and then stack games. Find out if we have our RG of the future on the roster. Again, we know Runyan is not that guy. 

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

This summarizes my confusion as to why he's not starting. Jon Runyan is not coming back next year. He's not the future. Let's find out if Rhyan can do this for a whole game and then stack games. Find out if we have our RG of the future on the roster. Again, we know Runyan is not that guy. 

It is confusing to me as well.

To be fair, they should be giving all the reps to Rhyan.  But...I'll bet that we are going to roll with the vet, since we are still in the hunt for the p-word.

I'm not opposed to bringing Runyan back on a low end deal to be a backup, ala Taylor and Patrick.  There is value in that.  But I'll bet he starts somewhere in the league next year and he can be that teams problem inside.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

Hopefully, he continues to improve to earn more playing time. With Myers' improvement, we have our interior O-line. Move Tom to LT and draft a RT on 1st or 2nd round, add a C/G in the middle rounds, and we are set for 2024.

I feel like Myers has put together 3 nice games in a row.  But, I saw very little of the Lions game to know if this is true.

I'd still be looking to upgrade him in the draft, but probably not prior to round 3 or so.  But I would draft a pure center somewhere to compete with him.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

It is confusing to me as well.

To be fair, they should be giving all the reps to Rhyan.  But...I'll bet that we are going to roll with the vet, since we are still in the hunt for the p-word.

I'm not opposed to bringing Runyan back on a low end deal to be a backup, ala Taylor and Patrick.  There is value in that.  But I'll bet he starts somewhere in the league next year and he can be that teams problem inside.

As I gum my werthers original, nostalgia reminds me how back in my day the p-word meant something else entirely young man.

• Like 1