Round 3 Pick 92; Sean Rhyan OL, UCLA

Packerraymond

3 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Pick a game.  The lateral agility just isn't there.  He will get his run at OT, but it's going to be quickly evident he's a guard.

Yeah he's going to have problems against speed rushes in the NFL at Tackle. He could probably be serviceable there for a game or 2, but asking him to start at Tackle isn't ideal. Now at guard, it's a no brainer.

7 hours ago, Leader said:

Hmmmm.....a jack of all trades.

There's a lot to be said for those types. While he would have only been worth keeping on low money, having Lucas Patrick to plug a number of spots for us always felt reassuring to me over the last few years. Getting someone like that in the late 4th or after would be pretty solid value to be honest, if that's how Tom were to pan out. 

• Like 1

You can see in the tapes Rhyan hasn't quite got the arm length to deal with edge rushers but he does compensate very well for it, despite his heavy looking trucks for legs he does move them quite well. That movement + strong base is how he compensates, having big mitts probably helps too.

But yeah....he screams guard all day long imo.

Let's pretend for one moment Bakhtiari and Jenkins will not be availabe for the start of the season I can see the OL lining up like this:

Nijman - Rhyan - Myers - Runyan - Newman

Our depth isn't great right now. I see Van Lanen as a guard only but it's likely he will be the main backup swing tackle and we also have two centres who might play some guard- Hanson and Menet.

I don't think Packers sees Newman nor Runyan as a tackle.

There's a clear shortage of "natural" tackles on our roster so I still want us to draft one if possible.

Braxton Jones, Rasheed Walker, Matt Waletzko or Bam Olaseni all seems to fit the bill. I mentioned Nick Zakelj before but I feel his body type is more suited to guard.

Quick overview:
Bam is the most impressive physically imposing prospect but is extremely raw. Waletzko moves extremely well for his size. Walker has the higher level competition experience and Jones is a physical style OT.

Edited by Chili
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Chili said:

You can see in the tapes Rhyan hasn't quite got the arm length to deal with edge rushers but he does compensate very well for it, despite his heavy looking trucks for legs he does move them quite well. That movement + strong base is how he compensates, having big mitts probably helps too.

But yeah....he screams guard all day long imo.

Let's pretend for one moment Bakhtiari and Jenkins will not be availabe for the start of the season I can see the OL lining up like this:

Nijman - Rhyan - Myers - Runyan - Newman

Our depth isn't great right now. I see Van Lanen as a guard only but it's likely he will be the main backup swing tackle and we also have two centres who might play some guard- Hanson and Menet.;

I don't think Packers sees Newman nor Runyan as a tackle.

There's a clear shortage of "natural" tackles on our roster so I still want us to draft one if possible.

Braxton Jones, Rasheed Walker, Matt Waletzko or Bam Olaseni all seems to fit the bill. I mentioned Nick Zakelj before but I feel his body type is more suited to guard.

Quick overview:
Bam is the most impressive physically imposing prospect but is extremely raw. Waletzko moves extremely well for his size. Walker has the higher level competition experience and Jones is a physical style OT.

If Bak isn't ready to go by the start of THIS season he will never be ready .. I'm not into pretending; got enough crap to worry about.  Wouldn't mind another right tackle type guy drafted though.