2022 NFL Draft Day 3 Discussion

AFF

7 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I wouldn’t be 100% sure if that. Connor is more of a flex H-back and Derek is more of a traditional inline FB. 

I think we have mismanaged Derek greatly during my time here. I wouldn’t lock him into a roster spot, but his athleticism plays well in a modern day FB role. I’m more assuming they don’t ditch him for his ST abilities. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, August4th said:

this draft feels like Tomlin and colbert giving the keys to Canada. This will be his offense. no excuses this yr

This is what scares me. I get people people worried about selecting players for the next GM… but Colbert is actually good at his job.  Canada has yet to show that at the NFL level. 

I’m not scared because there’s a lot of guys that can run this style of offense. It’s not like it’s so unique that no other OC can do it. This whole “keys to the offense” thing as if they can’t move on from Canada is being massively overplayed. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I’m not scared because there’s a lot of guys that can run this style of offense. It’s not like it’s so unique that no other OC can do it. This whole “keys to the offense” thing as if they can’t move on from Canada is being massively overplayed. 

I don’t disagree. But the part about Canada that still worries me is that NFL coaches called on him for ideas but never though enough of him to bring him in…so do they think he goes too far? 

Im not that worried because he was a late 4th, but is Austin a guy a modern day NFL coordinator comes into (possibly next year) and say I have no use for? 

My offensive fun mind is going off right now hoping for what we never got…gimme that no huddle offense of DJ, Pickens, Watt/Heyward, Freiermuth, and Najee….are we 2 tight running? Are we 4 wide spread? Are we traditional i form? Are we 5 wide with Pickens and DJ in the slot? Who knows! Tune in next snap to find out! 

8 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

We got Mark Robinson ILB from Ole Miss in the 7th. About the same size as Devin Bush. He’s extremely new to the position as he played RB up to last year. Maybe some competition for our ST linebackers.

Throw him in the same bucket as guys like Jordan Zumwalt, Tyler Matakavich, Ulyses Gilbert & the perennial all pro, Keion Adams.

22 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

I don’t disagree. But the part about Canada that still worries me is that NFL coaches called on him for ideas but never though enough of him to bring him in…so do they think he goes too far? 

Im not that worried because he was a late 4th, but is Austin a guy a modern day NFL coordinator comes into (possibly next year) and say I have no use for? 

My offensive fun mind is going off right now hoping for what we never got…gimme that no huddle offense of DJ, Pickens, Watt/Heyward, Freiermuth, and Najee….are we 2 tight running? Are we 4 wide spread? Are we traditional i form? Are we 5 wide with Pickens and DJ in the slot? Who knows! Tune in next snap to find out! 

So, I've done my homework in advance, and asked a student of mine (former NFL player who knows Canada) what's up.  And he said the issue was that other than Steelers and LSU, he mostly coached with other offensive minds, and offensive minds kept wanting him on their staff.  But he wanted to be his own guy and not add wrinkles to someone else's offense.  So it's more that he wanted his own thing than didn't think enough of him.