2022 Draft Review: Grades, Praise, and Rage

DreamKid

Ravens 2022 Draft Grade  

21 members have voted

1. 1. What's your early grade for our 2022 haul?

Hard to really dislike anything about this draft. We got 2 absolute studs in the 1st round who were clear best players at their position, then got great value with Ojabo and Jones (both were 1st round talents). So overall right off the bat that's 4 players who should be solid starters or better.

Then you add in our future punter, a lot of TE talent for Lamar, and some developmental pieces and overall I really think we nailed this draft.

I'm disappointed we didn't get a WR, especially Pickens since I thought he was a CLEAR scheme fit for us with his size and blocking ability, but oh well. The only thing, like I said in the other thread, we took a lot of dudes with real injury history so we'll have to see how that pans out.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AngusMcFife said:

I would go A for talent, but A-/B+ for need. CB and WR depth is looking very suspect at the moment. 

Can agree with WR for sure. But we double dipped at corner so outside of triple dipping, not sure we could’ve done much more. 

We got one of the CB steals of the draft in JAD- he’s got legit starting CB ability and isn’t just a depth piece like most 4th round corners would be.

I think an UDFA corner or a cap casualty veteran would be enough to complete our corner room FTMP.

I give the draft an A, only I wish we could’ve traded Ojabo for Christian Watson if I’m being honest. Perhaps I’ll grow to regret these words, but I just feel Watson will be special and I’d have been willing to trade Ojabo and one of those TEs for Watson.

But it’s at least close and we might not have had the ammunition to get such a move up done anyway.

So historically, even if this is an all-time great draft for us, we're still probably looking at about 3-4 "busts" in an 11 man class.

My best bets for those guys as of now would be Kolar, JAD, and Ojabo (purely injury related). Maybe Badie if he doesn't get a lot of opportunity.

On the exciting end of the spectrum: this is wild to say because our first 3 picks could all end up as probowlers at one point or another, but I think when we look back on this class in 5 years we're all going to see Travis Jones as the best football player from this class. After watching his interviews/demeanor and putting that alongside his play...this is one mean MFer gentlemen. I think he could be a top 3ish DT in the league and potentially #1 when Donald retires.

Edited by Ray Reed
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

So historically, even if this is an all-time great draft for us, we're still probably looking at about 3-4 "busts" in an 11 man class.

My best bets for those guys as of now would be Kolar, JAD, and Ojabo (purely injury related). Maybe Badie if he doesn't get a lot of opportunity.

On the exciting end of the spectrum: this is wild to say because our first 3 picks could all end up as probowlers at one point or another, but I think when we look back on this class in 5 years we're all going to see Travis Jones as the best football player from this class. After watching his interviews/demeanor and putting that alongside his play...this is one mean MFer gentlemen. I think he could be a top 3ish DT in the league and potentially #1 when Donald retires.

I think both Linerbaum and Travis Jones are ultimately going to be the best picks from this draft when we look back on it.

However, I could also see a case where Travis Jones does average for a couple of years and then we trade him away like we've done several times before with DE/DT prospects.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I think both Linerbaum and Travis Jones are ultimately going to be the best picks from this draft when we look back on it.

However, I could also see a case where Travis Jones does average for a couple of years and then we trade him away like we've done several times before with DE/DT prospects.

I just really hope they let him play a lot from jump. I get we have Pierce in a somewhat similar role, but Jones could be a gamewrecker on the interior early in his career IMO

56 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

I just really hope they let him play a lot from jump. I get we have Pierce in a somewhat similar role, but Jones could be a gamewrecker on the interior early in his career IMO

I don't see any reason not to. Campbell should be used on a strict pitch count and we should have a very solid DL rotation between Pierce/Mads/Calais/Jones, keeping them all fresh and producing.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I don't see any reason not to. Campbell should be used on a strict pitch count and we should have a very solid DL rotation between Pierce/Mads/Calais/Jones, keeping them all fresh and producing.

Yea, all of them should get somewhere around 50% of total defensive snaps, with about 25% split among Washington/misc.

• Like 1