The Marvel Cinematic Universe- Robert Downey Jr. cast as Doctor Doom

Acgott

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

I’m going to keep an open mind on Doomsday since it is a comic storyline they’re pulling from.   

But leaking this, let alone displaying this at SDCC a full 2-3 years before release is unheard of.   ESP when we still have a FF movie in between.    That speaks to how desperate Feige & co are at trying to keep interest high.    There’s no chance this would have been leaked let alone revealed before the preceding setup movie was in theaters.    This would have been included as a post-credit trailer for the setup movie in phase 2-3.      

The unintended consequence if this reveal is that it automatically reduces the consequentiality of the upcoming FF movie.    That’s what makes the timing so curious.   

This could absolutely flame out.   Or they could make it work.   But it speaks to how little interest or enthusiasm the MCU is generating that Feige & co felt they needed to reveal this now.   

They are shooting Doomsday before next comic con, so this was the right time if you want it to pop. Otherwise it woulda leaked.

From what we know Doom isn’t really a character in the FF movie or at least not an antagonist. Hell he might not even be from the reality it takes place in.

So I’m not sure how it undercuts that movie, we knew they’d be in Secret Wars for sure and probably whatever 5 ended up being.

The choice is definitely a wait and see thing though yeah.

3 hours ago, biggio7 said:

Probably. AntMan Quant really wasn't well done at all. I think that left a lot of bitterness for people regarding Kang.

Were there opportunities to do more?  Sure but after watching both seasons of Loki and AM3, I feel like we had enough Kang to move on.

1 minute ago, thrILL! said:

Were there opportunities to do more?  Sure but after watching both seasons of Loki and AM3, I feel like we had enough Kang to move on.

I wouldn’t mind him being used in whatever Young Avengers thing they end up doing, but he’s in a place now that they could just move on yeah

14 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Please don't ruin Fantastic Four again. We have yet to have a quality adaptation of these characters with so many good runs/stories available. That's the movie I need to be awesome. 

I hope RDJ as Doom doesn't ignore the rivalry between him, and Richards. 

If this FF reboot does indeed take place in the past, I don't want to see another deaged RDJ (like we did with younger Tony in Civil War) to fit it.  Since the multiverse angle could be a heavy lean here, I'm open to seeing how they pull this off.  Maybe they'll just use Doom without the FF the way Sony used Venom without Spider-Man (blecchh).  Or at least a variant.

1 hour ago, thrILL! said:

If this FF reboot does indeed take place in the past, I don't want to see another deaged RDJ (like we did with younger Tony in Civil War) to fit it.  Since the multiverse angle could be a heavy lean here, I'm open to seeing how they pull this off.  Maybe they'll just use Doom without the FF the way Sony used Venom without Spider-Man (blecchh).  Or at least a variant.

It’s the past in another part of the multiverse, agree a de-aged Doom sounds bad even if it’s just for a scene.

27 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

It’s the past in another part of the multiverse, agree a de-aged Doom sounds bad even if it’s just for a scene.

I dont understand why they would need to de-age him at all.    

The de-aged Tony Stark in Civil War made sense because it was a recreated flashback.  This is a completely different character in an alternate universe.   

Is it possible Avengers: Doomsday is set in the past?   Did they announce that?

14 minutes ago, 43M said:

I dont understand why they would need to de-age him at all.    

The de-aged Tony Stark in Civil War made sense because it was a recreated flashback.  This is a completely different character in an alternate universe.   

Is it possible Avengers: Doomsday is set in the past?   Did they announce that?

I was referring to FF rumored to being set in the past and if Doom were involved versus Doom not having any ties to them and just existing for Doomsday. 

2 hours ago, thrILL! said:

Hoping the FF universe has their Doom who is another actor. Tony Stark Doom is a variant from another universe. Maybe a Doom that switched bodies with him. 

The worst idea would be RDJ just playing Victor as if he liegit has a different face, and just wants to flex his acting chops. And I don't have confidence that his face would be totally scarred or he'll have the mask on the entire time as per the spirit of the character. Disney ain't paying RDJ all that money to not show his face.

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

So stupid. They didn't just take a lower character and recast them as someone else. They took THE good guy, who started the whole MCU, and want us to pretend it's not the same guy playing a big villain? Come on. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JonStark said:

So stupid. They didn't just take a lower character and recast them as someone else. They took THE good guy, who started the whole MCU, and want us to pretend it's not the same guy playing a big villain? Come on. 

Hopefully that isn't the case.

2 hours ago, JonStark said:

Regardless of what theory you subscribe to, one thing we can almost all agree on is that this is a clear desperation move by Feige and Disney to regain alot of the lost interest in the MCU as a whole.

I dont get why they are doing the Avengers movies so soon.   I mean, if phase 4 and 5 had done well, sure....but they were complete disasters that failed to really establish anyone as new Avengers...at least ones that anyone cares about.     

They lost the two most vital members and leaders of the Avengers and havent come close to replacing them from an actor or character standpoint.   And of the two best candidates they had to possibly replace them, one tragically passed away and the other likely wont be in future Avengers movies (and if he is, it wont make sense give how.

They are REEEEEEAALLY banking on the Fantastic Four.   If Fantastic Four doesn't blow people away and make huge money, they are going to be in serious trouble, especially it seems as if they are to be the new faces of the MCU.   I personally think thats a terrible plan, but time will tell.

12 hours ago, 43M said:

Regardless of what theory you subscribe to, one thing we can almost all agree on is that this is a clear desperation move by Feige and Disney to regain alot of the lost interest in the MCU as a whole.

I dont get why they are doing the Avengers movies so soon.   I mean, if phase 4 and 5 had done well, sure....but they were complete disasters that failed to really establish anyone as new Avengers...at least ones that anyone cares about.     

They lost the two most vital members and leaders of the Avengers and havent come close to replacing them from an actor or character standpoint.   And of the two best candidates they had to possibly replace them, one tragically passed away and the other likely wont be in future Avengers movies (and if he is, it wont make sense give how.

They are REEEEEEAALLY banking on the Fantastic Four.   If Fantastic Four doesn't blow people away and make huge money, they are going to be in serious trouble, especially it seems as if they are to be the new faces of the MCU.   I personally think thats a terrible plan, but time will tell.

Your prior paragraph answers that. They're doing them because they have to.

• Like 1

If they were going to use a great actor in his late 50's who's already been in the MCU to play Doom, they should have used Mads Mikkelson.  That said, I hope the mask stays on, the role is completely disengaged from Tony Stark, and with those two caveats, I think RDJ can kill that role.

• Like 3