The Marvel Cinematic Universe- Robert Downey Jr. cast as Doctor Doom

Acgott

17 hours ago, Malfatron said:

Sounds like the worst idea ever

They are going to do something with those characters and Kang is fairly integral to the story of that team in particular 

what-if-iron-man-demon-in-an-armor-2010-

There's precedent for this connection from this 2010 What If? one-shot.  Also, it's not like Doomsday is being overseen by an up and coming director out of their element.  It's the Russo Bros.  I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt as they've clearly earned our trust.

• Like 2

RDJ is going to absolutely kill it in this role as Doom.  Especially if his version of Doom is just an evil side of Tony Stark.

I know there are a lot of comics out there for how Stark became Doom, or was taken over by Doom or something like that.

But this Marvel Universe needs a big bad.  Putting RDF in there will have everyone talking about how much they hate it.  And it's publicity.  Gets us all talking.

And at the end of the day...RDJ is pretty perfectly cast for this role.  Even without him being Iron Man, it works.  Add in Iron Man?  It becomes even better.  Only way it doesn't work for me is if he is introduced and there is no back story to him being Tony Stark at some point and time in the multiverse.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, thrILL! said:

what-if-iron-man-demon-in-an-armor-2010-

There's precedent for this connection from this 2010 What If? one-shot.  Also, it's not like Doomsday is being overseen by an up and coming director out of their element.  It's the Russo Bros.  I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt as they've clearly earned our trust.

The link of them is there and a lot of their goals are fairly similar to a point.

I vaguely remember Stan Lee talking about  Doom being the perfect foil for Stark. One based in tech, the other in Magic/tech. Depending on the story they either being cut but starting at the opposite point  (Doom taking and Tony being given everything) Down to visually being two men in metal masks, with the opposite color scheme. They both think they should be the one to answer for/represent humanity.

They are both men with laser focus on what they deem necessary and often are first to push over others to in-act their plans. Which RDJ alluded to with “New Mask, Same Task”. 

Stuff like that definitely makes the direction intriguing but also open to a lot of possibilities.

I think there’s definitely plenty of space for people who are excited by that and those that see it as a behind the scenes Hail Mary to infuse the franchise again with some level of overall hype.

• Like 2

Disney dropped the bank on them for this

Russos reportedly getting 80 million to direct the next two avengers movies and RDJ getting paid "significantly more" to play Doom.

RDJ apparently would only return if they hired the Russos to direct.

Edited by rob_shadows

IMO....but this cinematic universe really, and I mean REALLY, needs a quality, deep, Big Bad.  

And they need it ASAP.  They can't afford a slow build, like Thanos.

Casting RDJ as Doom provides that.  

No more B-villains.  No more one and done.  Let's put a great actor in there and let's make the Big Bad actually interesting while being super strong from the beginning.

That's what they did.

Any other actors out there that could crawl into the Doom role and be interesting and super believable from Day One?  I'm sure that there are, but RDJ with a Tony Stark type persona as Doom is just kindda perfect for me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vegas492 said:

IMO....but this cinematic universe really, and I mean REALLY, needs a quality, deep, Big Bad.  

And they need it ASAP.  They can't afford a slow build, like Thanos.

Casting RDJ as Doom provides that.  

No more B-villains.  No more one and done.  Let's put a great actor in there and let's make the Big Bad actually interesting while being super strong from the beginning.

That's what they did.

Any other actors out there that could crawl into the Doom role and be interesting and super believable from Day One?  I'm sure that there are, but RDJ with a Tony Stark type persona as Doom is just kindda perfect for me.

Christoph Waltz? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Christoph Waltz? 

Love that guy.  But for me?  He's too old.  Even RDJ is getting old.  And maybe it is just that Christoph has always looked old to me.  But it's a no for me for a main Big Bad.  Dig the guy, though.

Just me thinking out loud, and that is dangerous....but one of the better villains in these kinds of movies was Osborn from the Spider Man movies.   William Dafoe (which I horribly misspelled before looking up his name).  Dude was old, but not that old in the first Spider Man.  He had a presence to him.  And a genius to his character and him as an actor.

That's what I want from a Big Bad.  Someone believable that you know has staying power and the ability to WIN versus the super team ups.  

I dig RDJ in that kind of role, even though he's a little older than I'd ideally want.  I feel like he will bring a lot of depth to a villain.

McAvoy would do it for me as well, but they already had him as Professor X.

Some updates to the film slate

• Captain America Brave New World 2/14/25
  • THUNDERBOLTS* 5/2/25
  • THE FANTASTIC FOUR: FIRST STEPS
     7/25/25
  • Blade remains on the schedule for 11/7/25
  • UNTITLED MARVEL dated for 2/13/26
  • AVENGERS: DOOMSDAY 5/1/26
  • UNTITLED MARVEL previously dated on 7/24/26 is removed from schedule
  • AVENGERS: Secret Wars 5/7/27
  • UNTITLED MARVEL is now dated on 7/23/27
  • UNTITLED MARVEL is now dated on 11/5/27

If I were to guess, depending on the story sony will probably have Spidey 4 take up the vacated July date.

Curious if one of the 2027 movies after Secret Wars will be X-men, or if that’ll be the inevitable May 2028 release.

Other films we know about via rumors or announcements

• Shang-Chi 2 and the Wreckage of Time (probably the February 2026 film)
  • Armor Wars, if it gets made at all
  • Doctor Strange 3
  • Thor 5
  • Midnight Sons
  • Scarlet Witch
  • World War Hulk
  • Black Panther 3
  • Fantastic Four 2 (doubtful as they’ll be in both avengers movies)
  • Like 1

So, help a guy out here.

I saw a trailer for the new Captain America movie.  

I've never seen any of the Disney shows.  But in the trailer, it looks like Falcon has super strength.  I thought he was "just a guy".  Did he ever have a story surrounding the super soldier serum or anything like that to explain super strength?

39 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

So, help a guy out here.

I saw a trailer for the new Captain America movie.  

I've never seen any of the Disney shows.  But in the trailer, it looks like Falcon has super strength.  I thought he was "just a guy".  Did he ever have a story surrounding the super soldier serum or anything like that to explain super strength?

No he’s just a regular army guy, with a bird suit.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Fresh Prince said:

No he’s just a regular army guy, with a bird suit.

That's what I thought and that is what the internet told me.  They attributed his super strength to him just being in great shape.  And I don't like that much.  The trailer made him look super soldier strong.

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

That's what I thought and that is what the internet told me.  They attributed his super strength to him just being in great shape.  And I don't like that much.  The trailer made him look super soldier strong.

He’s got a vibranium set of wings now and I guess some armor too

What part of the trailer does it look like he has super strength?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Kiltman said:

He’s got a vibranium set of wings now and I guess some armor too

What part of the trailer does it look like he has super strength?

Two guys with electro-something or others beating down on him, he throws them off like nothing.  Throws the Shield and it looks like it rips through the White House.  

There was also a little snippet of a clock winding down and I thought there was an element in it, almost like it was a new and improved delivery system for the super serum.

I can be waaay off on this, because the trailer went so fast during Deadpool 3, but our take aways from the clip were this....  maybe we will see it, and when did Falcon get super soldier powers?