Wonderlic Test

ROBOKOP

47 minutes ago, Uffdaswede said:

Believe me, I feel the lack of preparation for our kids keenly. Even in the ‘burbs where I teach reading to the littles there are many kids coming to school with speech and language issues, so many that our therapists are buried by the numbers. Reading and writing are impacted by language development. THINKING is impacted by language development. At its best, writing can only reflect a person’s skill at thinking and using language. You can coach writing up to that point and no further. Add to that that writing requires stamina and reflection and a significant amount of time we find ourselves as educators as frustrated as you are with the level of literacy our kids are showing.

A lot of the foundation for literacy, good or bad, is laid before we see the kids. If you want your kids to enjoy access to a good education you have to talk to them and read to them and allow them to play with something other than an iPad for five years before I get a chance to mess them up. 

I also don’t think social media and how most people “write” now helps. A lot of kids get phones and tablets before school.

Im sure that is destroy language for them with all the short hand.

People going to talk like mad max war boys soon… or the mutants from the frank miller Batman. All in slang and short hand.

20 minutes ago, mikebpackfan said:

Is it really so math-heavy?  If that’s true, then I have zero concerns.  I thought I’d taken samples before and there were quite a few just dumb common sense type questions. 

There's a subset of questions like "If Rope costs 23 cents per foot, how much does 2 yards of rope cost?"

57 minutes ago, Green19 said:

I also don’t think social media and how most people “write” now helps. A lot of kids get phones and tablets before school.

Im sure that is destroy language for them with all the short hand.

People going to talk like mad max war boys soon… or the mutants from the frank miller Batman. All in slang and short hand.

Thank you for trying to illustrate the social media conundrum so clearly

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Kampfgeist said:

Thank you for trying to illustrate the social media conundrum so clearly

Yw 

* that illustration was more likely a pitfall of writing on a smart phone, and trying to do it quickly (not proof reading). The auto-correct or auto-fill feature is poor in my opinion. It takes the word it assumes is correct and fills it in for you. I can’t tell you how many times writing an “-ing” changes to just the phone thinking I mean “in” and I didn’t hit space button.

Also another issue with tech. For the most part it is taking away peoples ability to spell without the tech. 

Edited by Green19

I feel the only position that really needs good "intelligence" is QB because they have to process so much information every play  so quickly and know what everyone's doing for each individual play like its the back of their hand.

Edited by Gopackgonerd

The thing about the draft is that the number of data points (i.e. players) is so low relative to the resources you invest in scouting them, that there's really no value in a standardized test to figure out "who's quick on the uptake" when you can also figure these sorts of things by "talking to the person one on one."

Like NFL teams generate ~50,000 written reports on guys in the lead up to the draft, they can also figure out who is a dumbass without resorting to a bubble sheet.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gopackgonerd said:

I feel the only position that really needs good "intelligence" is QB because they have to process so much information every play  so quickly and know what everyone's doing for each individual play like its the back of their hand.

Kurt Cousins scored a 33 on wonderlic and, at times, doesn't even know who his center is...😵

In general, says Wonderlic, "The closer you are to the ball, the higher your score."

This assessment roughly corresponds to the averages revealed, according to the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, by an NFL personnel man in Paul Zimmerman's "The New Thinking man's Guide to Pro Football," which are:

Offensive tackles: 26
Centers: 25
Quarterbacks: 24
Guards: 23
Tight Ends: 22
Safeties: 19
Middle linebackers: 19
Cornerbacks: 18
Wide receivers: 17
Fullbacks: 17
Halfbacks: 16

Edited by Howler