Wonderlic Test

ROBOKOP

1 minute ago, Uffdaswede said:

I was in the middle of the 50 question one from the second link I posted when the phone rang. Dang that one had some hard questions! Some you know you could get, but can you get it in 15 seconds? Or should you skip it and move on?

I just made a guesstimate if I was somewhat stumped and moved on to the next one. I made it thru 24 of the 25 before time ran out.

32 minutes ago, Uffdaswede said:

I was in the middle of the 50 question one from the second link I posted when the phone rang. Dang that one had some hard questions! Some you know you could get, but can you get it in 15 seconds? Or should you skip it and move on?

That's the thing.  Knowing "how" to take these kinds of tests is half the battle.  Someone who is poorly prepared and/or inexperienced taking these kinds of tests is almost a lock to post a **** score.

1 hour ago, ROBOKOP said:

Looking through the, "character issues" of Wyatt; all I'm finding is that he kicked a door 2 years ago and the charges were dropped.  If that's his big red flag, I'm not too worried.  But reading a playbook, studying a teams tendencies, reading and reacting to an offensive formation, adjusting defensive plays; are these things potentially hampered with these guys?  Is the learning curve going to be a work in progress?  I guess we will see.  Hoping the athleticism makes up for it.   

How big of a play book do you think there is for a defensive lineman ? I get it for a lb.

2 hours ago, ROBOKOP said:

Looking through the, "character issues" of Wyatt; all I'm finding is that he kicked a door 2 years ago and the charges were dropped.  If that's his big red flag, I'm not too worried.  But reading a playbook, studying a teams tendencies, reading and reacting to an offensive formation, adjusting defensive plays; are these things potentially hampered with these guys?  Is the learning curve going to be a work in progress?  I guess we will see.  Hoping the athleticism makes up for it.   

A player can be great at all those things and bad at the wonderlic test. 

Well it's a little concerning for Walker.  That's pretty low.  Dunno I put some stock into the wonderlic test.  Generally you want to draft intelligent players.  Wyatt at IDL really not all that concerned.  ILB though you want smart guys.  Takes me back to the chess matches between Urlacher and Favre.  Who knows maybe the kid understands football and that's really all that matters.  It's not a plus.  Also lack of instincts listed in the scouting reports has me somewhat concerned.  Giving Gute the benefit of the doubt here but yah those are not the things I want to hear.  Slow to read and react really negates athletic ability.  As far as where he was taken well the pick after Lloyd was chosen.  So tells me we had to take him there.  Question why did the Packers prefer Quay over Lloyd?  

If these fake tests are anything like the real one than I don’t know if it’s a big deal. Most are math problems.

If you’re good at math and quick at it… you can look crazy smart. Now it’s not great for players when it comes to their money and finances…

I blame the schools… it feels like the younger generations are getting dumber and dumber, and not because they are inherently dumb. More like we aren’t teaching math or basic problem solving skills like we use to. Heck I saw an article about how kids going to college pay for extra help with writing essays to get accepted…. Because teachers are soooo poor at teaching writing.

Edited by Green19

9 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

Well it's a little concerning for Walker.  That's pretty low.  Dunno I put some stock into the wonderlic test.  Generally you want to draft intelligent players.  Wyatt at IDL really not all that concerned.  ILB though you want smart guys.  Takes me back to the chess matches between Urlacher and Favre.  Who knows maybe the kid understands football and that's really all that matters.  It's not a plus.  Also lack of instincts listed in the scouting reports has me somewhat concerned.  Giving Gute the benefit of the doubt here but yah those are not the things I want to hear.  Slow to read and react really negates athletic ability.  As far as where he was taken well the pick after Lloyd was chosen.  So tells me we had to take him there.  Question why did the Packers prefer Quay over Lloyd?  

That’s easy… they like the athletic profile more. GB drafts and develops. What that means is draft the skills you can’t teach (height, speed, change of direction) and you develop the other stuff (understanding defense, offense, etc).

Coaches are just teachers. So they are drafting naturally gifted kids. The difference is Quay has more untapped potential than Lloyd. Lloyd seems more like what you are drafting is what you are getting (Ala AJ Hawk). Still a great athlete in his own right… but the likely thinking is Quay can be special like a Bobby Wagner, Fred Warner, etc.

Believe me, I feel the lack of preparation for our kids keenly. Even in the ‘burbs where I teach reading to the littles there are many kids coming to school with speech and language issues, so many that our therapists are buried by the numbers. Reading and writing are impacted by language development. THINKING is impacted by language development. At its best, writing can only reflect a person’s skill at thinking and using language. You can coach writing up to that point and no further. Add to that that writing requires stamina and reflection and a significant amount of time we find ourselves as educators as frustrated as you are with the level of literacy our kids are showing.

A lot of the foundation for literacy, good or bad, is laid before we see the kids. If you want your kids to enjoy access to a good education you have to talk to them and read to them and allow them to play with something other than an iPad for five years before I get a chance to mess them up. 

Edited by Uffdaswede
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, mikebpackfan said:

Is it really so math-heavy?  If that’s true, then I have zero concerns.  I thought I’d taken samples before and there were quite a few just dumb common sense type questions. 

Pedagogically it's supposed to be a test of processing speed, and there's a lot of different ways you're going to want to test that.