Lions waive OT Greg Robinson

TheKillerNacho

2 hours ago, bzane said:

@EliteTexan80- Trouble is, Robinson would have to play tackle for the Texans- zero chance at guard, with Xavier Su'a-Filo standing staunch in the middle, like the 300 Spartans guarding Thermopylae.

Image result for Xavier Su'a Filo

Oh, goodness no. Susan hits the bench. She's not good, not at all.

17 hours ago, bzane said:

He was promoted as a bigger, stronger Orlando Pace, etc.; 

Erm, no he wasn't. Pace was one of the highest rated prospects ever; Robinson was all potential.

Having watched Adrian Clayborn run rings around Byron Bell yesterday, maybe the Cowboys might give GRob a call. He is rubbish but at least he's never given up six sacks in a  match.

Not sure why people are acting like Robinson was good earlier this year.  I remember there being some buzz around him in preseason, but once the regular season hit it all seemed to come to an end.  He was consistently ranked among the worst tackles in the league by PFF and continued to commit penalties throughout the season

On 10/9/2017 at 7:27 PM, riceman80 said:

Because I love to hate him...

Greg Robinson's stats in 51 career games(47 starts)...

62 penalties, 37 accepted for -314 yards, 137 pressures allowed, and 20 sacks allowed for -149 yards.

???

I posted this in the notable stats thread around week 4 or 5. I thank Greg Robinson for all the laughs his career has given me...

On 11/13/2017 at 9:33 AM, DistantRam said:

Erm, no he wasn't. Pace was one of the highest rated prospects ever; Robinson was all potential.

Having watched Adrian Clayborn run rings around Byron Bell yesterday, maybe the Cowboys might give GRob a call. He is rubbish but at least he's never given up six sacks in a  match.

Erm, yeah, he was:

"Here’s how good Greg Robinson was supposed to be: The Rams selected him no. 2 overall in the 2014 draft before they took defensive-tackle-slash-destroyer-of-worlds Aaron Donald with their second first-round pick at no. 13. The Rams (and basically everyone else) believed that Robinson came with the potential to become the league’s next great left tackle, a dominating blindside protector in the mold of Jonathan Ogden or Orlando Pace"

https://www.theringer.com/2017/6/16/16040560/greg-robinson-los-angeles-rams-detroit-lions-offensive-line-busts-dc63ea1482f6

On 11/13/2017 at 9:49 AM, Texansfan713 said:

I still don't get how he leapfrogged Jake Matthews during the draft process.

At the time, there were howls about how dominating Greg Robinson would be:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2038699-greg-robinson-nfl-draft-2014-highlights-scouting-report-and-breakdown

"In Robinson, an NFL team is assured a truly elite run-blocking presence with tremendous upside to be an all-around dominating force at the NFL-level. "

7 minutes ago, DistantRam said:

Look at the date on that article. Hindsight is always 20/20 vision but nobody at the time said Robinson was going to be in the same class as Pace, Ogden or Walter Jones. 

Hmmmm- well, here's some of what they were saying, at the time- Larry Allen, Walter Jones:

View previous topic :: View next topic  
M_Phillips

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:12 pm    Post subject: Greg Robinson Reply with quote

Does he remind anyone of Jason Smith ?. Either way can you explain?

spacer.gif
BamaRam
longavatar.png

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:25 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote

If anything, his questions are the exact opposite of Smith's. 

Smith didn't run block in college. He spent his rookie training camp learning how to play out of a three-point stance. He had no concept of second-level blocking or how to mirror pass rushers coming off the edge. He did not know how to set the boundaries of the pocket. Smith was literally just a good athlete (former tight end) who played out of a two-point stance in a gimmick offense. Greg Robinson is the best run-blocking LT I've seen come out since Jake Long. 

Greg Robinson may have questions about the finer points of being a blind-side pass protector, but he is not nearly as raw as some make him out to be- and not a fraction as raw as Smith was. And the difference between Greg Robinson in September vs Greg Robinson in December was incredible and shows how quickly he is learning. 

Then throw in the other stuff like Smith was a 23 year old who played in the big 12 and Robinson is 20 and played in the SEC..You see why Robinson is an elite prospect and Jason Smith was a Weeden-quality draft pick.

spacer.gif
Buckeyeboy89

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:36 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote

It seems the opinions on Robinson are all over the place. I think this kid had HOF potential and will be a consistent stud for the next ten years. Now with that said he is extremely raw. He is a big physical strong human being with a good first step which is why he is a complete road grader. He is need some work on his footwork which will instantly make him a better pass blocker and make him feel more comfortable in his pass sets.

spacer.gif
KingBishop

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:40 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote

BamaRam wrote:

Smith didn't run block in college. He spent his rookie training camp learning how to play out of a three-point stance. He had no concept of second-level blocking or how to mirror pass rushers coming off the edge. He did not know how to set the boundaries of the pocket. Smith was literally just a good athlete (former tight end) who played out of a two-point stance in a gimmick offense. Greg Robinson is the best run-blocking LT I've seen come out since Jake Long. 

Greg Robinson may have questions about the finer points of being a blind-side pass protector, but he is not nearly as raw as some make him out to be- and not a fraction as raw as Smith was. And the difference between Greg Robinson in September vs Greg Robinson in December was incredible and shows how quickly he is learning. 

Then throw in the other stuff like Smith was a 23 year old who played in the big 12 and Robinson is 20 and played in the SEC..You see why Robinson is an elite prospect and Jason Smith was a Weeden-quality draft pick.

From what I've observed I would say he's an even better run blocking LT than Jake Long was coming out

David Njoku, Jourdan Lewis, Steven Taylor, Tedric Thompson, Marlon Mack, Brian Hill, OJ Howard, Jamal Adams, Malik Hooker, Marcus Williams, Eddie Jackson 

Deforest Buckner is the best player in the 2016 draft class

spacer.gif
KingBishop

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:41 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote

Godzilla Greg just plows through defenders as if they were Tokyo

David Njoku, Jourdan Lewis, Steven Taylor, Tedric Thompson, Marlon Mack, Brian Hill, OJ Howard, Jamal Adams, Malik Hooker, Marcus Williams, Eddie Jackson 

Deforest Buckner is the best player in the 2016 draft class

spacer.gif
TommyC376
frt55_zps0cbf7851.jpg

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:41 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote

Robinson is a raw prospect with all world potential, his ceiling is higher than Jake Robinson but his floor is also lower as well. Robinson is a great run blocking athlete. He could easily step in and be a LT for 10+ years, or he could fail at LT and still be a very good LG. 

He is going to be a good player in the NFL, we just dont know how good he will be.

spacer.gif
Buckeyeboy89

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:45 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote

TommyC376 wrote:
Robinson is a raw prospect with all world potential, his ceiling is higher than Jake Robinson but his floor is also lower as well. Robinson is a great run blocking athlete. He could easily step in and be a LT for 10+ years, or he could fail at LT and still be a very good LG. 

He is going to be a good player in the NFL, we just dont know how good he will be.

If I were a NFL GM I would draft this kid and Start him at RT because of his elite run blocking skills. IT would also give me time to help develop his pass blocking skills before eventually moving him to LT.

spacer.gif
catcheryea
9lOQ9in.png

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Greg Robinson Reply with quote

M_Phillips wrote:
Does he remind anyone of Jason Smith ?. Either way can you explain?

No. Why? He's better.

C7kQ2e0.jpg

spacer.gif
BamaRam
longavatar.png

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:33 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote

KingBishop wrote:
BamaRam wrote:

From what I've observed I would say he's an even better run blocking LT than Jake Long was coming out

I would tend to agree. Long was the most recent who was close.

spacer.gif
big_palooka
1zxo8yb.png

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:35 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote

Buckeyeboy89 wrote:
It seems the opinions on Robinson are all over the place.  I think this kid had HOF potential and will be a consistent stud for the next ten years. Now with that said he is extremely raw. He is a big physical strong human being with a good first step which is why he is a complete road grader. He is need some work on his footwork which will instantly make him a better pass blocker and make him feel more comfortable in his pass sets.

Can we not do this? 

Can we reserve the "HOF potential" statements for when said prospect is a young player in the NFL making an impact. Only then can we say he has that potential amongst his peers. 

Sorry..... such a pet peeve of mine. Great talent, sure. Mass potential, fine. But putting a coveted HOF label on someone who's never taken an NFL snap is just ridiculous.

spacer.gif
MSURacerDT55

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:54 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote

I do agree with the poster above, but he has the skills to be Jackie Slater 2.0

spacer.gif
bulger2holt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:37 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote

Reminds me of Larry Allen. Just a pure man-beast

spacer.gif
Raider X
40992c1378769379546aa4d7f7a73675.jpg

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:07 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote

bulger2holt wrote:
Reminds me of Larry Allen. Just a pure man-beast

+1 

Point of attack is a boom! Both are fast and strong.

spacer.gif
Rich7sena

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:54 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote

I think he has All-Pro potential at guard. I see Walter Jones potential there.

spacer.gif
Rrrrrrrams

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:27 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/RUSSLANDE/status/461205558343639040 

hey, we need a russell lande thread.

spacer.gif
Display posts from previous: All Posts1 Day7 Days2 Weeks1 Month3 Months6 Months1 Year Oldest FirstNewest First 

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: Select a forum Football----------------NFL GeneralNFL NewsNFL ComparisonsNFL Draft2017 NFL Mock DraftGM Mock DraftsFantasy FootballCollege Football AFC East----------------Buffalo BillsMiami DolphinsNew England PatriotsNew York Jets AFC North----------------Baltimore RavensCincinnati BengalsCleveland BrownsPittsburgh Steelers AFC South----------------Houston TexansIndianapolis ColtsJacksonville JaguarsTennessee Titans AFC West----------------Denver BroncosKansas City ChiefsOakland RaidersLos Angeles Chargers NFC East----------------Dallas CowboysNew York GiantsPhiladelphia EaglesWashington Redskins NFC North----------------Chicago BearsDetroit LionsGreen Bay PackersMinnesota Vikings NFC South----------------Atlanta FalconsCarolina PanthersNew Orleans SaintsTampa Bay Buccaneers NFC West----------------Arizona CardinalsLos Angeles RamsSan Francisco 49ersSeattle Seahawks Other Sports----------------BaseballBasketballSoccerOther SportsFantasy/Sim/GM Leagues General----------------This aint sports talk!EntertainmentMadden 17 and video gamesFeedback ForumSignature and Avatar Help 

13 minutes ago, DistantRam said:

Look at the date on that article. Hindsight is always 20/20 vision but nobody at the time said Robinson was going to be in the same class as Pace, Ogden or Walter Jones. 

Well, here's an article on Robinson and Jake Matthews from 2014:

https://www.si.com/2014/04/08/greg-robinson-jake-matthews-nfl-draft

" Robinson has all the tools and has shown the potential in the pass game; if teams feel he can learn and work at his craft, then Robinson could be an all-time great. It’s a question of how long that will take, and where do you play him in the interim (Robinson would be a devastating left guard for a year or two). Former Rams left tackle Orlando Pace, who likely will be elected into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2015, is the player whom Robinson is most often compared with in league circles because of his physicality in the run game."

Greg Robinson was an example of a team making the same mistake twice.  They decided to take potential over the more polished prospects with Jason Smith ahead of Andre Smith and Eugene Monroe and they did the same thing selecting Greg Robinson over Jake Matthews. 

19 minutes ago, DistantRam said:

Just after the Rams drafted Robinson in 2014:

"The Rams also don't have a history of selecting offensive linemen in the first round; Robinson becomes the third in franchise history, joining Jason Smith and Orlando Pace. Because of their similarities in size and skill set, the comparisons between Robinson and Pace already have begun.

"I heard a lot of things that they compared me to him," Robinson said. "He's a great player. Just being compared to a player like that – it feels good."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2014/05/08/draft-second-2nd-pick-st-louis-rams-ol-ot-og-greg-robinson-auburn/8873573/

Archived