The Bears Offensive Depth Chart

WindyCity

Herbig isn't the perfect fit for this scheme but Philly has always ran a lot of zone and at only 23 years old with 33 career games under his belt he is worth taking a flyer on given our current starting RG situation...played 481 snaps last year allowing 1 sack and 3 penalties.

5 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I think he will make the team. The team pursued him early in free agency and the rumor was Getsy wanted him. I think he makes the team and will get the first shot at X.

The money certainly suggests he’s not getting handed any kind of opportunity. Him signing here early could just as easily be him looking at our roster at the time and seeing 2 NFL contracts at WR and figuring he’d have a better shot here than anywhere else. He took ZERO guaranteed money and a league minimum salary in the first week of FA. That’s almost unheard of from someone with an actual shot at a real role. It’s basically a futures deal. That tells me he was thrilled anyone called at all. I’m not even sure he gets first rep over David Moore tbh. 

12 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

The money certainly suggests he’s not getting handed any kind of opportunity. Him signing here early could just as easily be him looking at our roster at the time and seeing 2 NFL contracts at WR and figuring he’d have a better shot here than anywhere else. He took ZERO guaranteed money and a league minimum salary in the first week of FA. That’s almost unheard of from someone with an actual shot at a real role. It’s basically a futures deal. That tells me he was thrilled anyone called at all. I’m not even sure he gets first rep over David Moore tbh. 

David Moore signed a minimum contract after having to try out for the team at a mini camp after being on 3 rosters last season.

10 hours ago, WindyCity said:

David Moore signed a minimum contract after having to try out for the team at a mini camp after being on 3 rosters last season.

You say that like it somehow means both he and ESB aren’t both guys set to make the league minimum with zero guaranteed dollars. 

By week 1 if our top 3 WR are anyone other than Mooney/Pringle/Jones or a TBD FA not yet on the roster, short of injury, it’ll be a pretty sizable upset. If ESB suddenly turns into Marques Colston after 3 years of basically no production at all (especially the last 2) that’d be awesome but the likelihood of that happening is basically zero. 

4 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

You say that like it somehow means both he and ESB aren’t both guys set to make the league minimum with zero guaranteed dollars. 

By week 1 if our top 3 WR are anyone other than Mooney/Pringle/Jones or a TBD FA not yet on the roster, short of injury, it’ll be a pretty sizable upset. If ESB suddenly turns into Marques Colston after 3 years of basically no production at all (especially the last 2) that’d be awesome but the likelihood of that happening is basically zero. 

I think ESB isn’t any good. But we don’t really have another option at the X and it feels like Jones is not ready to be a full time slot guy. They are talking about a special package of plays for him and a unique role.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I think ESB isn’t any good. But we don’t really have another option at the X and it feels like Jones is not ready to be a full time slot guy. They are talking about a special package of plays for him and a unique role.

Agreed. Equariousnostradamus is our best option at X. Nobody else right now makes sense. Mooney will be counted on to play Z the most part while Pringle will be our primary slot while also sharing reps with Jones.

Now, some OCs do like to move around players and use alot of pre-snap motion and if we're judging Getsy's scheme based on his time with Packers then we'll likely see alot of that too since the Packers ran 53% of their snaps last season using motion, which was 6th in the league, just like the Chiefs did at 62% (2nd). This needs to be taken into consideration too because it's not dead set that Mooney will play Z and Pringle/Jones will play slot either. They will likely alternate positions based on pre-snap reads and defensive alignment.

On 5/2/2022 at 4:35 PM, dll2000 said:

I liked St. Brown out of college as a late round pick with upside.   

Getsy obviously thought the same thing about him. But so far he's been wrong despite James playing with arguably the best QB in football for the last 3 years lol. 

Note: This wasn't a shot at your post or your pre-draft feelings about him but more of a chance to express my disappointment in him being counted on as one of our primary receivers. Your post was simply the victim of circumstances lol. Sorry DLL.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Agreed. Equariousnostradamus is our best option at X. Nobody else right now makes sense. Mooney will be counted on to play Z the most part while Pringle will be our primary slot while also sharing reps with Jones.

Why do you think it’ll be Pringle who loses reps to Jones and not the guy with the league minimum deal and no history of producing in the NFL? Why do you think ESB is the best fit to be our X receiver? Is that solely based upon his size and the Getsy connection? Or is it more reflective of your thoughts on Pringle (whom we’ve discussed at length previously)? Not a dig - just trying to understand the thought process, because I think expecting anything at all out of ESB would be setting myself up for disappointment.

To your point about moving guys around a lot, I agree that’s likely to happen. Not only does the GB offense use a ton of motion (as did KC) but per Rotowire each of Adams/Lazard/Cobb/MVS had 50-60% of their snaps taken from the slot, which to me suggests that the parts of who aligns where will be largely interchangeable. Pringle (who only aligned in the slot 51.2% of the time last year) isn’t a small receiver either at 6’1” 200 lb. 

6 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Getsy obviously thought the same thing about him. But so far he's been wrong despite James playing with arguably the best QB in football for the last 3 years lol. 

Note: This wasn't a shot at your post or your pre-draft feelings about him but more of a chance to express my disappointment in him being counted on as one of our primary receivers. Your post was simply the victim of circumstances lol. Sorry DLL.

Lol

13 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

Can we criticize Poles' handling of free agency yet? Because the draft is over and this team still lacks a quality OL and a top WR.

Poles stated that we are going to develop the team through the draft, which is what the approach says we are doing. If you’re expecting vet signings at this stage, you’re going to be disappointed.

12 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I think Jones could be a full time WR.   I think people don't know it because of Tennessee scheme and weak QB.  

But yes they are probably thinking of a package of plays for him given his running ability - since that is currently trend in NFL ala Deebo and others.  Copy cat league.  It gives versatility to your run game out of multi WR or TE sets.    

But it is not an efficient use of time to have it only for one unique guy since that guy could go down at any time.   Hence probably why they drafted he Baylor RB.   So there is a back up to that role in place.    You need redundancy in a game plan or scheme strategy.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

Can we criticize Poles' handling of free agency yet? Because the draft is over and this team still lacks a quality OL and a top WR.

Yes and done.    The hope now is for late Peters/Ogletree type additions to shore things up a bit.  I'd like them not to wait so long.  

I think it really hurt Peters particularly that they brought him in at 11th hour rather than letting him get into football shape.   

He did remarkable well all things considered and I can't believe he lasted.  No one saw that coming.