Thor: Ragnarok

Acgott

10 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

Well said, and agreed on just about everything in this post and your prior one. I almost don't want to talk negatively about the money, because it was truly enjoyable, but it also disappointed me at so many turns. They killed anything serious with jokes. And I'm fine with the witty banter. That's one of the best things the MCU has done. The humorous interactions between Thor and Loki, or Thor and Hulk, those make perfect sense and they generally fit tonally with where they were in the plot. But they used the literal destruction of all of Asgard as the punch line to a Korg joke. And then them being lost and not knowing where to go became the punchline of another Korg joke. Those could have been the emotional conclusion to Thor's trilogy (akin to Iron Man tossing the chest arc reactor or Cap walking away from the shield and Iron Man with Bucky), but instead, nothing matters. It's all just supposed to be funny.

And the original Thor was a little light-hearted. But some moments still had weight. Thor's banishment, him regaining his powers, and even Loki discovering his heritage and falling away at the end, all were serious moments. Even GotG has gone serious when they needed to for Groot or Yondu's sacrifices. The fatherhood arcs for Starlord have always had some meaning to them. So you can have this level of humor and still take something seriously

I don't know. It wasn't bad. It just should've been more.

Also, man, they really gave the middle finger to the warriors three.

SPOILERS BELOW

100% all of this. There were so many moments in this movie that should've mattered and didn't. Odin's death, Hela running through the Asgard army and Warriors 3, Banner's choice to go back to being the Hulk, Thor being blinded, Surtur literally destroying Asgard. Those are some huge moments that were nothing more than cool visuals or in Banner's case, a huge joke.

11 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

Well said, and agreed on just about everything in this post and your prior one. I almost don't want to talk negatively about the money, because it was truly enjoyable, but it also disappointed me at so many turns. They killed anything serious with jokes. And I'm fine with the witty banter. That's one of the best things the MCU has done. The humorous interactions between Thor and Loki, or Thor and Hulk, those make perfect sense and they generally fit tonally with where they were in the plot. But they used the literal destruction of all of Asgard as the punch line to a Korg joke. And then them being lost and not knowing where to go became the punchline of another Korg joke. Those could have been the emotional conclusion to Thor's trilogy (akin to Iron Man tossing the chest arc reactor or Cap walking away from the shield and Iron Man with Bucky), but instead, nothing matters. It's all just supposed to be funny.

And the original Thor was a little light-hearted. But some moments still had weight. Thor's banishment, him regaining his powers, and even Loki discovering his heritage and falling away at the end, all were serious moments. Even GotG has gone serious when they needed to for Groot or Yondu's sacrifices. The fatherhood arcs for Starlord have always had some meaning to them. So you can have this level of humor and still take something seriously

I don't know. It wasn't bad. It just should've been more.

Also, man, they really gave the middle finger to the warriors three.

I agree with this. I really enjoyed the film, and it served as a good distraction and allowed everyone to share a laugh and get away from reality for a few short hours, but any type of gravitas it could have conveyed felt wasted or short changed. Again, not saying that made it bad or took away from the film, but replacing just a bit of the humor with a tad bit more seriousness could of made what ended up being a good, enjoyable film into one of the best marvel films to date.

Just saw it. I liked it, but I'm not sure I would rank it amongst the best Marvel movies. Have to agree with others when they say that while the jokes are funny (and Taika Waititi's jokes are very much imprinted into the movie), at times it felt like there was a greater emphasis placed on getting a joke in rather than develop the scene / moment. 

Not sure where I'd rank this movie right now in the Marvel universe, it's not bad but I feel it had a bit more potential. Very interesting plot development though with the finale, and the post-credits scene is also rather interesting.

Pretty much agree with whats been said in the thread. Fun move. I laughed a lot, but the actual story left a lot to be desired, and it was awkward at times. Like I dont understand how they had Thor screaming like a girl when they cut his hair but he acted like everything was cool when he had his eye cut out. 

On 11/4/2017 at 10:50 AM, Acgott said:

I loved it. Probably my favorite Marvel movie where nothing happens and that’s ok. A nice break from everything else.

"Nothing happening" and "nothing mattering" are to very different things.

If this was just a case of nothing really affecting the overall plot of the MCU, that would be fine. But that is not the case of what this movie is. Ant-man did that, which is why it was so well received at the time, but is often an after thought of the MCU these days. Unfortunately Tiaka's take on everything was to just make a joke about it, which makes all the big events that were actually in this film ring completely hollow.

On 11/4/2017 at 4:08 PM, Acgott said:

Yes it was. Marvel stole him right from DC. It’s amazing how they were able to keep thst quiet.

How did they steal him from DC? Because of fan boy fantasy casting? And you think because of this cameo, Damon couldnt be a big part of a DC Film? Its Matt F'n Damon, he can do whatever he wants.

Also, this is a one scene throw away joke where they did some dress up and probably spent like a day or two on set. (that again has no barring on the plot of the film) I dont think this was all that hard to keep a secret.

1 hour ago, devils1854 said:

Pretty much agree with whats been said in the thread. Fun move. I laughed a lot, but the actual story left a lot to be desired, and it was awkward at times. Like I dont understand how they had Thor screaming like a girl when they cut his hair but he acted like everything was cool when he had his eye cut out

Because its all about the joke. None of it matters, as long as it got someone to laugh.

8 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

How did they steal him from DC? Because of fan boy fantasy casting? And you think because of this cameo, Damon couldnt be a big part of a DC Film? Its Matt F'n Damon, he can do whatever he wants.

Also, this is a one scene throw away joke where they did some dress up and probably spent like a day or two on set. (that again has no barring on the plot of the film) I dont think this was all that hard to keep a secret.

It was a joke.

I tend to agree with the consensus.  It was a fun movie, and I enjoyed it, but it could have had so much more depth while maintaining a lot of the humor.  Things that should have had a lot more gravitas:

• The death of Odin (are we even told why he died?  He's thousands and thousands of years old, so "old age" seems unlikely)
  • Thor's hammer only being a conduit for his power, shouldn't have Odin told him this after say a few hundred years?
  • Banner's decision to give into the Hulk (possibly forever) to save the day
  • The destruction of Asgard (what happened to Surtur after that?)

Probably more, but that was the 4 biggest and all were essentially laughed off with the next joke.

In the mid-credits scene, was that supposed to be Thanos' ship?  Is this probably a scene from the next Avengers movie much like the Thor scene in the Dr Strange credits was a part of the scene in this movie?

All in all, I still enjoyed it.  I'd say currently, this is how I rank the MCU:

1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
  2. Guardians of the Galaxy
  3. Captain America: Civil War
  4. The Avengers
  5. Iron Man
  6. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2
  7. Thor
  8. Doctor Strange
  9. Spider-Man: Homecoming
  10. Thor: Ragnarok
  11. Ant-Man
  12. Avengers: Age of Ultron
  13. Captain America: The First Avenger
  14. Iron Man 3
  15. The Incredible Hulk
  16. Thor: The Dark World
  17. Iron Man 2

These rankings are always fluid (and some hold up better than others), but I think this is pretty accurate to how I feel about it now.  I'm sure it'll change in the future as well, even towards the top.  It'll be tough to knock Iron Man 2 out of the bottom spot though.  I still like the first Thor movie the best of the 3.

45 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

These rankings are always fluid (and some hold up better than others), but I think this is pretty accurate to how I feel about it now.  I'm sure it'll change in the future as well, even towards the top.  It'll be tough to knock Iron Man 2 out of the bottom spot though.  I still like the first Thor movie the best of the 3.

I still think Iron Man 2 gets a bad rap, and iron Man 3 gets some unwarranted benefit of the doubt because "its a Shane Black film". Its a piss poor argument to me. Because its also the start of putting the whining/bitching woe is me Tony Stark into overdrive, that has now overtaken 3/4 MCU films. And we barely get any Iron Man in the movie. The whole 3rd act is deus ex machina. Not to mention, no matter how they try to spin/ret-con it, they completely crapped all over The Mandarin.

Atleast when I watch Iron Man 2, I can appreciate the World Building they were attempting. It got alittle Amazing Spiderman 2 there, and didnt completely focus on the plot of the film they were currently in. But the bigger role of Rhodey actually stepping into the War Machine role, the reveal of Black Widow and the way they slipped her in there, Some fun Nick Furry (as the role he would continue to play though all these movies) and some really good Howard Stark stuff. But the biggest thing that gets overlooked (due to the mes that was Whiplash) Justin Hammer and Senater Stern are both great villains.

Anyways, Id rank them like this;

1. Captain America: Winter Soldier
  2. Iron Man
  3. The Avengers
  4. Guardians of the Galaxy
  5. Spider-Man: Homecoming
  6. Captain America: Civil War
  7. Captain America: The First Avenger
  8. Thor: Ragnarok
  9. Thor
  10. Ant-Man
  11. Doctor Strange
  12. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
  13. Iron Man 2
  14. The Avengers; Age of Ultron
  15. The Incredible Hulk
  16. Iron Man 3
  17. Thor: The Dark World

To me everything ranked 6-11 are all about the same, and move around from time to time. And then Everthing 12-17 are just varying degrees of disappointment. Also, Homecoming does not have a strong hold on #5, and I have been waiting since 2014 for one of these to deserve that spot.

9 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

I still think Iron Man 2 gets a bad rap, and iron Man 3 gets some unwarranted benefit of the doubt because "its a Shane Black film". Its a piss poor argument to me. Because its also the start of putting the whining/bitching woe is me Tony Stark into overdrive, that has now overtaken 3/4 MCU films. And we barely get any Iron Man in the movie. The whole 3rd act is deus ex machina. Not to mention, no matter how they try to spin/ret-con it, they completely crapped all over The Mandarin.

I didn't exactly rave about Iron Man 3 either having it at 14 vs at 17 for IM2. 

Winter Soldier is a pretty clear top movie for me in the MCU.  2-6 are all somewhat close, 7-11 are all pretty tight, then 14-17 is a pretty clear delineation as well, but I'd have AoU and CA:FA a clear step ahead of those, but a clear step behind Ant-Man.  About the only ones I couldn't put on right now and enjoy though are The Dark World and Iron Man 2.

Archived