2023 Draft Talk

swede700

2 hours ago, ArcticNorseman said:

I'm only basing my opinion on what I see in interviews and body language around other players.   It really doesn't matter what I think since I'm not a GM for a NFL team.  

As a long standing Vikings, and NFL, fan, and having a little experience hiring a firing employees, Levis shows some tendacies where if the pressure cooker gets too hot, he won't handle it well.  For instance, when asked about that little flip of the football before throwing, he said, "one of the balls had a slick spot under his thumb."   I'm raising the BS flag on that . . . A total crock . . . To me, he wanted to show off and do something no coach would ever allow, it's wasted motion of the football . . . Pull that stuff with Von Miller or Aaron Donald 3 feet away, right?

Show me his reactions to teammates when they drop a pass he slightly misplaced . . . How does he act at the bar with strangers?  Teams do their digging and should he slide and the Vikes pick him, I would hope he grows way up, sitting patiently in the wings, being ready in called upon.  In this situation, it could be similar to Cris Carter taking Randy Moss under his wing . . . Or Favre being in front of similarly demonized young Aaron Rodgers.

If, being closed doors, he's a braggert and such, he won't balance the environment well . . . Its purely psychological, and he needs to grow put of that.

He is not a Josh Rosen type in terms of being a stuck up rich boy snob, and again it is odd to even discuss with the QB needs of the teams ahead of the Vikings pick. 

Levis does have issues with his lower body being oddly thin, has bad footwork in the pocket and does not throw with great touch on his passes.  Has a fast ball but does not have a change up.  His performance this year was not the best either but he did get sacked and pressured a ton.  

The dude is tough, does take hits and keeps fighting/competing which I like a lot.  He is a tough guy and will be a physical runner when asked.  His teammates like that, who wouldn't?  In terms of his overall leadership, sure he is not super charismatic and might not communicate as well as say Bryce Young.  

Either way I really doubt he is even around to select when the Vikings make their pick.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Either way I really doubt he is even around to select when the Vikings make their pick.

The prevailing thought around the Vikings and Levis, or any of the top 4 quarterbacks, is that if one slips within a reasonable range they will trade up. 

• Like 1

Just now, SemperFeist said:

The prevailing thought around the Vikings and Levis, or any of the top 4 quarterbacks, is that if one slips within a reasonable range they will trade up. 

And give up what to do so?  Already lost the 2nd rounder, what give up a 1st rounder to trade up?  Not sure I would do that at all.  If they want to move on from Kirk play him this year then cut the cord next year.  

It is a crazy deep QB group in 2024, one of the deepest in years, includes four-six guys who should have declared this year in 2023.  Sucks guys like Rattler, Penix, Travis, Nix, Leary, Rising, Hartman etc did not declare this year, could have been good value picks in the middle rounds or 2nd-3rd round range.  

Caleb Williams USC JR
Drake Maye UNC RS SOPH
Spencer Rattler South Carolina RS 
JJ McCarthy Michigan JR
Bo Nix Oregon RS 
Michael Penix Jr Washington RS 
Jordan Travis Florida State RS 
Sam Hartman Notre Dame RS
Jayden Daniels LSU RS
KJ Jefferson Arkansas RS
Devin Leary Kentucky RS
Cameron Rising Utah RS 
DJ Uiagalelei Oregon State
Taulia Tagovailoa Maryland RS
Will Rogers Miss State
Grayson McCall Coastal Carolina RS
Joe Milton III Tennessee RS
Tyler Shough Texas Tech RS
Kedon Slovis BYU RS
Phil Jurkovec Pitt RS
John Rhys Plumlee UCF RS
Spencer Sanders Ole Miss RS
Casey Thompson Nebraska RS
Brennan Armstrong NC State RS
Jeff Sims Nebraska
Hank Bachmeier La Tech RS
Jalon Daniels Kansas
Max Johnson Texas A&M
JT Daniels Rice RS
Gerry Bohanon USF RS
Dillon Gabriel Oklahoma RS
Payton Thorne Michigan State RS
Emory Jones Cincinnati RS
Jack Plummer Louisville RS
Graham Mertz Florida RS
Drew Pyne Arizona State
Cade McNamara Iowa RS
Ryan Hilinski Northwestern RS
TJ Finley Auburn
Jason Bean Kansas RS
Jack Tuttle Michigan RS
J'Bore Gibbs Idaho RS
Zach Annexstad Illinois State

For the Vikings to trade up in this draft for Levis seems stupid when there is such a deep QB class next year.  The current 2023 class is not very deep at all compared to next year where one could get far better value if you get the right guy.  

19 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Levis does have issues with his lower body being oddly thin, has bad footwork in the pocket and does not throw with great touch on his passes.  Has a fast ball but does not have a change up.  His performance this year was not the best either but he did get sacked and pressured a ton.  

The dude is tough, does take hits and keeps fighting/competing which I like a lot.  He is a tough guy and will be a physical runner when asked.  His teammates like that, who wouldn't?  In terms of his overall leadership, sure he is not super charismatic and might not communicate as well as say Bryce Young.  

odd how you pretty much described Brett Favre....

4 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

And give up what to do so?  Already lost the 2nd rounder, what give up a 1st rounder to trade up?  Not sure I would do that at all.  If they want to move on from Kirk play him this year then cut the cord next year.  

It is a crazy deep QB group in 2024, one of the deepest in years, includes four-six guys who should have declared this year in 2023.  Sucks guys like Rattler, Penix, Travis, Nix, Leary, Rising, Hartman etc did not declare this year, could have been good value picks in the middle rounds or 2nd-3rd round range.  

Caleb Williams USC JR
Drake Maye UNC RS SOPH
Spencer Rattler South Carolina RS 
JJ McCarthy Michigan JR
Bo Nix Oregon RS 
Michael Penix Jr Washington RS 
Jordan Travis Florida State RS 
Sam Hartman Notre Dame RS
Jayden Daniels LSU RS
KJ Jefferson Arkansas RS
Devin Leary Kentucky RS
Cameron Rising Utah RS 
DJ Uiagalelei Oregon State
Taulia Tagovailoa Maryland RS
Will Rogers Miss State
Grayson McCall Coastal Carolina RS
Joe Milton III Tennessee RS
Tyler Shough Texas Tech RS
Kedon Slovis BYU RS
Phil Jurkovec Pitt RS
John Rhys Plumlee UCF RS
Spencer Sanders Ole Miss RS
Casey Thompson Nebraska RS
Brennan Armstrong NC State RS
Jeff Sims Nebraska
Hank Bachmeier La Tech RS
Jalon Daniels Kansas
Max Johnson Texas A&M
JT Daniels Rice RS
Gerry Bohanon USF RS
Dillon Gabriel Oklahoma RS
Payton Thorne Michigan State RS
Emory Jones Cincinnati RS
Jack Plummer Louisville RS
Graham Mertz Florida RS
Drew Pyne Arizona State
Cade McNamara Iowa RS
Ryan Hilinski Northwestern RS
TJ Finley Auburn
Jason Bean Kansas RS
Jack Tuttle Michigan RS
J'Bore Gibbs Idaho RS
Zach Annexstad Illinois State

And how many of these guys will be ready to start Day 1?  Williams and Maye are likely the only 2 that may even be close to being able to start Day 1.  If they have the opportunity to get a guy now that they like and sit him for 1 year, it has to be done.   Needless to say, it probably won't, but if it arises, I have zero issue with it.  They can't just hope that a guy will be available next year and hope he can start day 1. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

odd how you pretty much described Brett Favre....

Nah.  Levis cannot throw off platform as well as Favre did and does not create as well when things break down at all.  Is not nearly as charismatic of course either.  Favre did not run as well in terms of physical running from the QB position.  

But I hate Brett Favre's guts and I still hate the fact the Vikings sold out and brought him on the team, set the organization back a few years with that move of total desperation.  At least they are not going after A-Aron...

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, swede700 said:

And how many of these guys will be ready to start Day 1?  Williams and Maye are likely the only 2 that may even be close to being able to start Day 1.  If they have the opportunity to get a guy now that they like and sit him for 1 year, it has to be done.   Needless to say, it probably won't, but if it arises, I have zero issue with it.  They can't just hope that a guy will be available next year and hope he can start day 1. 

True but why trade a 1st round pick in 2024 potentially to move into the top 10 when one could have the pick of tons of dudes next year and many will not even be 1st round picks.  Could get quality into the 2nd and 3rd round and pay them not much at all.  Could they start instantly, who knows but I just have a hard time seeing the Raiders pass on a QB, Chase Garbers is the only other QB on that roster now outside of Jimmy G.  Then you have Atlanta and not sure they are sold on Ridder or Heinicke even though they did sign Heinicke in the offseason.  Then is Washington sold on Howell or Brissett?  Not so sure about that...  Or the Bucs sold on Baker Mayfield for the future?  Seattle might be sold on Geno Smith and Lock potentially but the rest are pretty up in the air and QB desperate.  

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

Why do it out of desperation though?  

This team is not in desperation mode . . . Tgen again, neither were the Chiefs a few years ago.  

3 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

I'm confused what you mean by desperation here?

I think I'm responding to why would the Vikes need to trade up for a QB, whether its Richardson or Levis?    Even more confounding to me, would be to stay put and take Levis when he falls.   I feel like there will be better QBs next year, and even Hooker, my opinion, will be better in the NFL than Levis.

Ultimately, let's not repeat the Christian Ponder debacle . . . I had such high hopes for him back then, but boy oh boy, was I way too optimistic.  

26 minutes ago, ArcticNorseman said:

I think I'm responding to why would the Vikes need to trade up for a QB, whether its Richardson or Levis?    Even more confounding to me, would be to stay put and take Levis when he falls.   I feel like there will be better QBs next year, and even Hooker, my opinion, will be better in the NFL than Levis.

Ultimately, let's not repeat the Christian Ponder debacle . . . I had such high hopes for him back then, but boy oh boy, was I way too optimistic.  

Got it. You don't like Levis....makes sense then. 

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

True but why trade a 1st round pick in 2024 potentially to move into the top 10 when one could have the pick of tons of dudes next year and many will not even be 1st round picks.  Could get quality into the 2nd and 3rd round and pay them not much at all.  Could they start instantly, who knows but I just have a hard time seeing the Raiders pass on a QB, Chase Garbers is the only other QB on that roster now outside of Jimmy G.  Then you have Atlanta and not sure they are sold on Ridder or Heinicke even though they did sign Heinicke in the offseason.  Then is Washington sold on Howell or Brissett?  Not so sure about that...  Or the Bucs sold on Baker Mayfield for the future?  Seattle might be sold on Geno Smith and Lock potentially but the rest are pretty up in the air and QB desperate.  

This is why I'm trading for picks next year.....

38 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

This is why I'm trading for picks next year.....

I would be ok with that, especially if they do not love how it all falls and who they get in the 1st.  Would love to get into the 2nd round though but not sure they can pull that off.  I would trade that 1st rounder for two decent 2nd round picks this year no doubt about it.  

40 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I would be ok with that, especially if they do not love how it all falls and who they get in the 1st.  Would love to get into the 2nd round though but not sure they can pull that off.  I would trade that 1st rounder for two decent 2nd round picks this year no doubt about it.  

So would I . it's also why I'm good with dealing Hunter, Zadarius, and Cook. Pile up as many picks next year as possible.

19 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

So would I . it's also why I'm good with dealing Hunter, Zadarius, and Cook. Pile up as many picks next year as possible.

The Minnesota Vikings currently are holding onto both running back Dalvin Cook and edge rusher Za’Darius Smith and it feels like a surprise that both are on the roster. They are currenlty taking up $29.6 million on the salary cap according to Over The Cap.

When looking into why the Vikings currently have both on the roster, there is one thing that makes sense. General manager Kwesi Adofo-Mensah is looking to trade them. Any team that would trade for both players would have a major benefit.

That benefit? Both players would incur no dead money to release after the 2023 season.

For a team that is set to make a run for a title this year, that’s a very attractive part of the deal. The Vikings can also restructure the contract and eat a little bit of that cap space to make the salary cap hit more palatable.

Even though the Vikings are low against the cap, adding a few extra million to their potential dead cap to get a draft pick or two back is a cost that Adofo-Mensah likely feels comfortable with. It’s kind of like buying a draft pick, but that’s a move that we’ve seen before.

With a team that only has five draft picks, it’s something to watch for.

https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/2023/03/31/vikings-trades-zadarius-smith-dalvin-cook-kwesi-adofo-mensah/?utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR1HA5RZw0-c8C7BBMAJNACfEmt3aP0rztFFjH_zeomZ8aUkyyfVKezSaMk

post, and ye shall receive...