2023 Draft Talk

swede700

5 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

I think I'm lower on Zay Flowers than most

only 5'9, arm length is 29 inches, middling vertical, one of the highest drop rates in this WR class.

I don't think he's a 1st round caliber player.

So, you're saying he's not Steve Smith?  🤣

There is an increasingly popular school of thought among draft experts over the past week that posits the Vikings will trade up into the top 10 and pursue one of the premier signal-callers in this year’s class — Will Levis of Kentucky.

On March 21, The Athletic’s NFL Staff predicted a trade with the Las Vegas Raiders, who hold the 7th overall selection. Chad Reuter of NFL Network made a similar projection on Friday, though via a deal with the Philadelphia Eagles at pick No. 10.

Any scenario in which the Vikings land Levis at the end of April will see the 23-year-old quarterback ride the pine behind Cousins for at least one season, which is arguably the best-case scenario for both player and team.

While Levis isn’t popularly the No. 1 QB prospect this year, Mel Kiper Jr. of ESPN is one prominent analyst who has Levis ranked above the rest — meaning the advantage of a full season of experience and acclimation could be magnified by his existing skill set.

Kiper:  “Levis has a rocket launcher for an arm and makes some ‘wow’ throws. That has gotten the Penn State transfer into trouble at times, but it’s clear watching him that he believes he can fit the ball into any window. My comparison for him is Matthew Stafford. Levis played in a pro-style offense at Kentucky, and he’s not going to need much time to adjust to the NFL. He can maneuver the pocket and throw on the run.”

https://heavy.com/sports/minnesota-vikings/will-levis-draft-trade-eagles-cousins/?fbclid=IwAR0Yj65cMEbVQB6I65rI-6F6A23FwV_XiOPvhMBPhcM2iAWHc3nZkdn9Uh0

27 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

There is an increasingly popular school of thought among draft experts over the past week that posits the Vikings will trade up into the top 10 and pursue one of the premier signal-callers in this year’s class — Will Levis of Kentucky.

On March 21, The Athletic’s NFL Staff predicted a trade with the Las Vegas Raiders, who hold the 7th overall selection. Chad Reuter of NFL Network made a similar projection on Friday, though via a deal with the Philadelphia Eagles at pick No. 10.

Any scenario in which the Vikings land Levis at the end of April will see the 23-year-old quarterback ride the pine behind Cousins for at least one season, which is arguably the best-case scenario for both player and team.

While Levis isn’t popularly the No. 1 QB prospect this year, Mel Kiper Jr. of ESPN is one prominent analyst who has Levis ranked above the rest — meaning the advantage of a full season of experience and acclimation could be magnified by his existing skill set.

Kiper:  “Levis has a rocket launcher for an arm and makes some ‘wow’ throws. That has gotten the Penn State transfer into trouble at times, but it’s clear watching him that he believes he can fit the ball into any window. My comparison for him is Matthew Stafford. Levis played in a pro-style offense at Kentucky, and he’s not going to need much time to adjust to the NFL. He can maneuver the pocket and throw on the run.”

https://heavy.com/sports/minnesota-vikings/will-levis-draft-trade-eagles-cousins/?fbclid=IwAR0Yj65cMEbVQB6I65rI-6F6A23FwV_XiOPvhMBPhcM2iAWHc3nZkdn9Uh0

Including random guys on the internet and Twitter, there are few analysts I trust less than Mel Kiper Jr. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

Including random guys on the internet and Twitter, there are few analysts I trust less than Mel Kiper Jr. 

While I understand trusting him less at this point in his life and career, every analyst owes their career and their salary to him. 

In an offense that features heavy RPO and play-action reps, Levis’ strengths would be maximized, and he’d also be adequately eased in while he develops on the operational side. For all his inconsistencies, Levis is tough, he’s competitive, he has elite arm talent, and he’s a bull of a runner in space.

For a quarterback with his natural ability, Levis sometimes looks far too uncomfortable operating within the offense. He’ll take his lumps if he has to start early on but is better suited with a bridge QB. Nevertheless, when taking Levis’ potential for growth into account, his stable, unteachable traits remain exhilarating.

Levis is an athletic, resilient, and supremely talented passer, with solid mechanics and the high-end attributes to buoy a franchise-caliber ceiling. He’ll need time to hone the operational part of his game at the next level, but his upside is worth investing in for a team that has the resources to adequately support him, and the time to develop him at his pace.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/will-levis-qb-kentucky-nfl-draft-scouting-report-2023/

Quentin Johnston 40 times ~4.5 from his pro day. Pretty good, but not as fast as many were predicting. Still a great athlete with his explosion numbers. I don't see him a great fit for this offense, but would trust it if that's the direction the Vikings wanted to go.