2023 Draft Talk

swede700

17 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Honestly not sure how I like how it falls for the Vikings currently, but things can change, trades can be made or new free agent signings which change team needs above them. 

thanks!

If it fell like this, I imagine they Vikings will decide between

Jordan Addison (your pick)

Bryan Bresee (they still need a dude at 5 tech, lowry is an OK placeholder)

Keion White (see Bresee note)

Quentin Johnston

Calijah Kancey (interior pressure was an issue last year)

Myles Murphy

Adetomiwa Adebawore

I would probably go Quentin Johnston here. I'm higher on him then most people.

My shadow mock with available players

23 - WR Quentin Johnston

87 - IDL Karl Brooks

119 - C Juice Scruggs

158- CB Tyrique Stevenson

211 - CB Darius Rush (you have him as undrafted!?!)

Edited by battle2heaven

4 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

As a compliment to Jefferson and Osborn, I’d much rather have Johnston. 

It’s so hard for me to see the 100% vision on what KOC and McCardell really want at WR.

Everyone is so different. We know McCardell pounds the table for Nailor. We did see in the last two games of the regular season he is able to make some plays, yes backups and such. He’s supposed to be some speed guy. His nickname is even “Speedy”, but in reality it was just a 4.5 40. Do they really work him up to be the 3rd receiver?

Do they go for a deep threat speed guy?

Do they go for a big body possession guy?

Do they go for a big body deep threat guy?

There are plenty of options. 

For some reason I just kind of fall where @Ozzyis thinking, he sort of fits the brand of receiver that fits in KOC’s thinking. Would be interesting to see his growth in the NFL. 

15 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

thanks!

If it fell like this, I imagine they Vikings will decide between

Jordan Addison (your pick)

Bryan Bresee (they still need a dude at 5 tech, lowry is an OK placeholder)

Keion White (see Bresee note)

Quentin Johnston

Calijah Kancey (interior pressure was an issue last year)

Myles Murphy

Adetomiwa Adebawore

I would probably go Quentin Johnston here. I'm higher on him then most people.

My shadow mock with available players

23 - WR Quentin Johnston

87 - IDL Karl Brooks

119 - C Juice Scruggs

158- CB Tyrique Stevenson

211 - CB Darius Rush (you have him as undrafted!?!)

With the Vikings signing of Davenport who I have as a 3/4 DE not a 3/4 OLB, and Lowry who is a very solid 3/4 DE, not sure there is a massive need for a Keion White type or even Bresee unless they are switching back to a 4/3 type front which I would not mind honestly.  

Not sure Bresee is the best in a 3/4 and Keion White is such an athlete sure that would be sweet getting him but not sure he would fit best in a 3/4 but who knows.  Maybe Lowry and Davenport are just place holders, if that is the case then DE would be a much higher need.  

I like Johnston a lot but again I need to see him run, does he have legit 4.3 speed or is it closer to like 4.5,  Jumped great but I was not wowed by his on the field workout at the combine and I think other receivers stood out more than he did oddly enough.  I think his YAC ability is a little overrated, he is not great in a phone booth making guys miss and his route running is poor.  But yes I agree would be nice to have a big receiver for once no question, just athletically there is a question until he runs, same with Myles Murphy and even Witherspoon for that matter.

Kancey I would not mind either but again not sure he would be great in a 3/4 but who knows, Donald is but Donald is special.  Vikings gave up on Twyman, not the athlete Kancey is but is a shorter smaller DT so not sure they would go with Kancey.  

With Brooks in the 3rd, again not sure it is the biggest need in the world, especially with ILB being an issue potentially and CB.  Scruggs I would like as a backup center no question, he is very promising.  Darius Rush yes I probably should have him drafted, never really stood out to me watching South Carolina games, apparently did great at the Senior bowl so maybe I need to watch him a bit more.

It does suck the Vikings signed Oliver, he could be a great player and is a proven NFL blocker but they could have saved some cash and got Darnell Washington possibly or Mayer who could both be there...  It just might not fall great for the Vikings, really would want a 2nd rounder but clearly they do not have one.  Could maybe steal Phillips or Tre'Vius Hodges-Tomlinson two CBs who they really need because of their slot ability.  Could go with Antonio Johnson in the 1st but that might be a reach and he is more of a safety who can play in the slot and tackle.  

Or could maybe steal Tuli Tuipuloutu or Keeanu Benton in the 2nd but really doubt they fall to the 3rd.  Benton could be a NT type that is much needed or Tuli who is getting underrated in the process because he did not test out great.  But the dude is a beast, arguably best pass rusher in college last year, can rush inside or outside and has a great motor, could even be a 3/4 OLB at times.  Would love his versatility but again most likely gone by the 3rd round pick.

3 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

With the Vikings signing of Davenport who I have as a 3/4 DE not a 3/4 OLB, and Lowry who is a very solid 3/4 DE,

So, you might have him as a 3/4 DE, but the Vikings have him as a 3/4 OLB. They put a 1M workout bonus in his contract for a reason; they want him to lose some pounds and get back closer to his drafted weight.

13 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

It’s so hard for me to see the 100% vision on what KOC and McCardell really want at WR.

Everyone is so different. We know McCardell pounds the table for Nailor. We did see in the last two games of the regular season he is able to make some plays, yes backups and such. He’s supposed to be some speed guy. His nickname is even “Speedy”, but in reality it was just a 4.5 40. Do they really work him up to be the 3rd receiver?

Do they go for a deep threat speed guy?

Do they go for a big body possession guy?

Do they go for a big body deep threat guy?

There are plenty of options. 

For some reason I just kind of fall where @Ozzyis thinking, he sort of fits the brand of receiver that fits in KOC’s thinking. Would be interesting to see his growth in the NFL. 

I would love a big body deep threat guy but until Johnston puts down some 4.3 40 time not sure he is that, did have a great year no question but again did not wow in those field drills at the combine I thought.  

Maybe I underrate the guy, it just seems Addison is far more dangerous to cover and harder to cover.  If Johnston runs his 40 really well I would be far more likely to have him over Addison, if the times are similar then Addison gets the nod because he is just smoother as a receiver to me.

I would love Johnston as a legit deep threat big body target which the Vikings have not had for a long time.  Just do not want it to be another Laquan Treadwell thing, big physical type WR that sucks.  Johnston clearly has more speed than Treadwell who had a bad 40 at 4.6+ so there is that.  

4 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

So, you might have him as a 3/4 DE, but the Vikings have him as a 3/4 OLB. They put a 1M workout bonus in his contract for a reason; they want him to lose some pounds and get back closer to his drafted weight.

Yeah he ran a 4.58 40 at the combine at 6-6 264.  Just not sure he has the bend needed as a 3/4 OLB unless all they want is for him to bull rush on the outside every play which he could totally do and that might not be all that bad.  

Seemed like all he did last year was crush the pocket which would be totally fine as a 3/4 DE.  

In college early on I recall he was around 220 ish, maybe 240 but he was very thin.  Maybe getting him thin is a good thing and I guess there would be a hole if Z. Smith is gone and traded.

DE Lowry
NT Phillips
DE Davenport
OLB Hunter
ILB Hicks
ILB Asamoah
OLB Wonnum

DE Lowry
NT Tonga
DE Phillips
OLB Hunter
ILB Hicks
ILB Asamoah
OLB Davenport

I believe having Davenport on the DL is more dangerous and harder to handle, also gets more talent on the field with Wonnum who is a quality player and then Patrick Jones behind him.  

Johnston has his pro day this week so will be very interesting how he runs.  Would love the increase in size no question but how he runs is very important.  

15 hours ago, vike daddy said:

we have had the #23 pick 3 times since 2000, name the 3 players we chose.

extra credit: 2 players were picked at #23 by other teams, but eventually played for the Vikings. who were they?

This might help?

https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/lists/vikings-nfl-draft-23rd-overall-christian-darrisaw-kaiir-elam-kenneth-murray/

dang coach speak. But still, the biggest story could be how far this guy could fall. Still would be shocked to see him fall out of the top 10. Would love to see him fall to 23. 

At what point of the fall would you not mind the Vikings trading up for a player like Carter. Content with the pick at 23, Or are you just abandoning ship on him and want nothing to do with him?

1 minute ago, gopherwrestler said:

dang coach speak. But still, the biggest story could be how far this guy could fall. Still would be shocked to see him fall out of the top 10. Would love to see him fall to 23. 

At what point of the fall would you not mind the Vikings trading up for a player like Carter. Content with the pick at 23, Or are you just abandoning ship on him and want nothing to do with him?

No way I'm trading up for him. No possible way.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

No way I'm trading up for him. No possible way.

Agreed.  I'd take him if he was there at #23, but I'm certainly not trading up for him because of the maturity questions I have about him.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

We already have a safety that can play slot, his name is Cam Bynum...while he didn't play well last year, I'm throwing that year out considering how everyone seemed to have been misused.

2 minutes ago, swede700 said:

We already have a safety that can play slot, his name is Cam Bynum...while he didn't play well last year, I'm throwing that year out considering how everyone seemed to have been misused.

I really do find that interesting. As I said before some of the players on this team we almost have to clear our head on if they had an upsetting year last year.