2023 Draft Talk

swede700

6 minutes ago, Purplepride323 said:

Because we need more talent at WR. Even if we do run more 12 personnel, we need another WR to take the top off of defenses. Jalen Nailor has potential to make strides in year 2, or maybe Reagor figures it out in year 4. But I think someone like Palmer or AT Perry can step in and be WR3 right away.

Palmer makes sense because he won't go in the 3rd. looking at more of a 5th or 6th round prospect which is kind of what I said to begin with that if they pass on WR @ 23 I don't see them addressing it until later(5th-7th) unless they trade down from 23 but non of those later round guys are stepping in and becoming WR3 right away unless injuries happen and force them into the lineup

If a WR drops into the 3rd round or later, it is unlikely that they make a big impact in year one. If that guy already has “deep threat” in his arsenal, I’m fine with that. There’s time to develop the rest. If he’s not a deep/burner type, then I’d rather pass. We already have Nailor. No sense in wasting draft assets for guys similar to what we already have at the expense of the defense. 

• Like 2

Just now, wcblack34 said:

If a WR drops into the 3rd round or later, it is unlikely that they make a big impact in year one. If that guy already has “deep threat” in his arsenal, I’m fine with that. There’s time to develop the rest. If he’s not a deep/burner type, then I’d rather pass. We already have Nailor. No sense in wasting draft assets for guys similar to what we already have at the expense of the defense. 

The Defense needs so much help unless multiple players take big steps this year

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

I’d disagree that later round WRs won’t make a big impact in year one, because I believe that there are a lot of WRs in the middle rounds of this year’s draft that can. Every draft class is different and this one is stacked with WRs in the middle rounds. There aren’t many receivers in this year’s draft that can do everything great, but there are a lot of guys that are great at certain things. Palmer is a burner who’s great at stretching the field. We need that. With his strong performances at the senior bowl and combine, I think he’s going to be a third round pick. His 4.35 40 and 1.5 10 yard split times will intrigue many teams. 

I do agree with your take that we need to focus on the defense in this year’s draft, but I would love to see what a burner like Trey Palmer can do in Coach KO’s offense. My ideal scenario would be to get a CB in round 1 (Banks or Forbes) then go WR in round 3 (Palmer, Mims or Perry). AT Perry would be interesting because he’s got good vertical speed but he’s a bigger guy. We don’t have a WR over 6’1” on the roster, and Kirk loves big targets. I think Perry would be a good fit even though he’s not exactly a burner. 

Edited by Purplepride323

7 hours ago, Purplepride323 said:

I’d disagree that later round WRs won’t make a big impact in year one, because I believe that there are a lot of WRs in the middle rounds of this year’s draft that can. Every draft class is different and this one is stacked with WRs in the middle rounds. There aren’t many receivers in this year’s draft that can do everything great, but there are a lot of guys that are great at certain things. Palmer is a burner who’s great at stretching the field. We need that. With his strong performances at the senior bowl and combine, I think he’s going to be a third round pick. His 4.35 40 and 1.5 10 yard split times will intrigue many teams. 

I do agree with your take that we need to focus on the defense in this year’s draft, but I would love to see what a burner like Trey Palmer can do in Coach KO’s offense. My ideal scenario would be to get a CB in round 1 (Banks or Forbes) then go WR in round 3 (Palmer, Mims or Perry). AT Perry would be interesting because he’s got good vertical speed but he’s a bigger guy. We don’t have a WR over 6’1” on the roster, and Kirk loves big targets. I think Perry would be a good fit even though he’s not exactly a burner. 

I would love AT Perry, he is a super athlete for his size that has a great catch radius, but I think he is long gone by the 2nd round no question.  I also have Banks gone before the Vikings pick, curious if they take Ringo who is good but not sure he has the upside of Banks.  Forbes I feel is way to thin to be picked that high, especially after the injury issues we had with Dantzler.

I would not hate trading out of the 1st to somehow get two 2nd rounds but not sure that is possible.  

In the 2nd round one has way more options of quality guys at WR and CB, would be super comfortable taking any of those CBs in the 2nd, not so much in the 1st.  Same with the receivers but Addison I do fee could be there at WR and that would be hard to pass in the 1st.

WR 
Jalin Hyatt Tennessee JR WR
Zay Flowers Boston College SR WR
AT Perry Wake Forest RS JR WR

CB
Clark Phillips III Utah RS SOPH CB
Jartavius Martin Illinois SR S/CB SR S
Emmanuel Forbes Miss State JR CB
Tre'Vius Hodges-Tomlinson TCU SR CB
Mekhi Garner LSU RS JR S/CB

DE/DT
Tuli Tuipuloutu USC JR DT/DE
Adetomiwa Adebawore Northwestern SR DE/DT
Keeanu Benton Wisconsin JR DT

NT
Mazi Smith Michigan SR DT
Siaki Ika Baylor RS JR DT

Would not hate getting a real NT in Ika or Mazi Smith but not sure that is the biggest need.  And could get another 3/4 DE but might not be the best idea and Benton could play NT as well maybe and Tuli has great versatility as does Adetomiwa.  

3 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

we have had the #23 pick 3 times since 2000, name the 3 players we chose.

extra credit: 2 players were picked at #23 by other teams, but eventually played for the Vikings. who were they?

Jefferson, Erasmus James and Sharriff Floyd?

Mid-to-late Rd WR . . . Shaquan Davis of SC State.  6' 5" 217, averaged 20 yrds/catch over 4 years.   Had 11 TDs last year.   He has some tape and was the MVP of the celebration bowl.  From highlights, he's a bit of a body catcher and has decent speed.  

Go get defensive players early and target small school, big-time WR later.

59 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

extra credit: 2 players were picked at #23 by other teams, but eventually played for the Vikings. who were they?

I'm going with Shariff Floyd, Laquon Treadwell and Darrisaw.

Have no idea who the other two are.  

8 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Floyd / Treadwell / Darrisaw

Napo(from the Moss trade) & not sure about the other

7 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Joey Porter Jr going to us at 23.

Hendon Hooker going #5 seems a touch early for him.

There's a reason why Tannenbaum was a failure as GM. 

Edited by swede700

13 hours ago, Ozzy said:

I also have Banks gone before the Vikings pick, curious if they take Ringo who is good but not sure he has the upside of Banks.

Every post you make, every player is long gone by the vikings pick, lol.

I would love to currently see your 1st round mock draft up to the Vikings pick at 23, thanks!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

Every post you make, every player is long gone by the vikings pick, lol.

I would love to currently see your 1st round mock draft up to the Vikings pick at 23, thanks!

Honestly not sure how I like how it falls for the Vikings currently, but things can change, trades can be made or new free agent signings which change team needs above them.